2016 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

24 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

LOL I don't miss these awesome Hobson pieces stating how broke the team is, and how they will get no free agents other then there own lol. 

Thanks for that update

You're welcome lol. I know most don't miss these stories but I live for them. It's a unique signature of this franchise and IMHO ought to be, in its own weird way, recognized and celebrated.

Most teams try to generate excitement about changes in the offseason and, even if they know they are likely to lose a player or two, talk about how they will do whatever it takes to keep their core talent. (And of course many do, restructuring contracts or cutting older players whose performance has dropped to free up cap space, etc.) And yes, signing flashy and expensive outside FAs is a strategy with mixed results at best -- but moves like that are about selling hope (and season tix and merchandise) for the next season as much as they are about play on the field.

But the Bengals...ah, the Bengals. Not only don't they do any of this stuff, but their offseason marketing campaign (if it can be called that) is announcing striaght up front that they are going to bleed talent while pulling their pockets inside out and shrugging. I mean, wow, really makes you want to go out and lay down hundreds of dollars for season tix, eh? They remain the Schleprocks of the NFL: wowzy wowzy woo-woo there goes all out talent again.

31 minutes ago, COB said:

He didn't mention the rookie pool, so, fail.  He's slipping in his old age.  

ha, just got done reading the Hobson piece. and he did fail to use the agreed terminology. quite disappointed. if we can't rely on his words, where does that leave us...

another item to note, i do expect at last one surprise release. with our two shiny new OTs from r1 last year, maybe the oline gets a reshuffle.. Boling could sit for Whit moving inside, so Jake can pick up LT. I don't know, something tells me there will be a surprise or two coming. Maybe Dawson finally gets in the starting rotation, with LNR or Lamur ending up in Cleveland. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great news everybody! Marvin Jones is excited to test free agency!

Cincinnati Bengals wideout Marvin Jones is eager to test free agency, realizing he could be the belle of the ball in a soft wide-receiver market.

"I love Cincinnati," Jones told NFL Media's Scott Hanson on Wednesday. "...But at the same time, I am a free agent. It wouldn't be good for me not to test the waters a little bit. It's just an exciting process."

As is the case with most impending free agents, Jones has no interest in offering the Bengals a hometown discount. He plans to "look at all angles" on the market, hoping an irresistible opportunity presents itself.

If Alshon Jeffery draws the Bears' franchise tag, Jones will be vying with Anquan Boldin and Travis Benjamin as the most coveted wide receivers available.

Although Jones has missed 22 games in four years, he has averaged a respectable 58 receptions, 764 yards and seven touchdowns with a 63.3 catch rate in his last two healthy seasons.

As a high-end No. 2 receiver in his prime, he should be targeting a new deal in the range of Golden Tate's five-year, $31 million salary.

His best chance of getting overpaid might just be following Hue Jackson to Cleveland, filling a need for a Browns franchise that struggles to find playmakers year-in and year-out.

So, just to recap, the pretty much pre-ejected Moobs by taking two OTs in the first two rounds last year. George Iloka was muttering wistful farewells all last season. Pacman tweeted that the FO didn't want to pay him. And now Marvin Jones is excited about free agency. So...what exactly are they planning to do with circa $40 million in cap space?

Today's free agency note, courtesy of Geoff Hobson,is a special salute to our own kingwilly:

They’d like to get most of these guys back but, for instance, they’ve got a number in mind for niche players like slot cornerback  Leon Hall  and...

They've got a number in mind for Leon Hall! Rest easy everyone, the strategy for bringing back Mr. Achilles is in place!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I'm just relieved because this extra money will ensure we can afford to bring back Brandon Tate.

I agree, We must keep Tate, because since he join us back in 2011, We haven't missed playoff. We are in playoff because of him.

4 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

I agree, We mustIt'sp Tate, because since he join  us back in 2011, We haven't missed playoff. We are in playoff because of him.

And you yank my chain on being superstitious. Its in us all partner!

5 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

I agree, We must keep Tate, because since he join us back in 2011, We haven't missed playoff. We are in playoff because of him.

Our playoff streak is actually a combination of us having Tate and me not wearing my black Bengals sweatshirt with the giant Bengal head on the front on game days.

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

If anyone on this board wants to perform a public service, write an essay on the rookie pool money.  Possibly a few thousand words on the tsunami-like effects injury settlements have on a team's budget.  Then send all that shit to Hobson.  Because I guarantee you that since this 12 mil salary cap increase was projected, he's been locked in a room somewhere, trying to figure out how to spin this.  He needs help.  Up is down.  Black is white.  This cap increase actually means the Bengals have LESS money to spend!  

And so it begins. News of Bengals making a "major push" to re-sign a key free agent! Get ready to get paid Vincent Rey! 3years, $5 million per! Get you some FNR coin!

https://shar.es/14ExGK

Meanwhile I saw a tweet saying Sanu and Marvin Jones' twitters no longer had any Bengal related imagery on them, woo hoo!

Bengals free agency is always a joke. 

I get resigning your guys......if they are worth resigning.

I like V. Rey, but if they over pay him and let Jones walk, that will make me one pissed off bengals fan!!

At some point it's time to start looking for upgrades in FA, and the draft. They need to get better in many positions to make it over the top, but they refuse to pay anybody outside this organization.

The bengals have the slowest LB core I have ever seen time to upgrade please.

Eh, he did well when called on last season. The challenge is that between Green, Jones, Eifert and the two RBs they have a hard time getting him a lot of balls. I can't blame him for looking for a spot that would give him more opportunities. If the Bengals retain Jones, then losing Sanu is no big deal. The problem is everything I've seen so far points to them already having written Jones off as too expensive, meaning that the year after the passing game finally comes together under Dalton, we're going to blow up the WR corps outside of AJ. This reminds me all too much of when Housh left and they spent year after year trying to replace him.