2016 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

Just a fresh thread now that the season is done. My thoughts fwiw.

Top Tier

Marvin Jones

George Iloka

I could see Jones getting a big offer from someplace else (Cleveland?) and leaving. Iloka is a distant candidate for the tag, but Williams came on late in the season and Iloka apparently wants more money than they were willing to give him before last season. Bottom line Icould see both of them walking, which would stink.

Either/Or

Pat Sims/Brandon Thompson (would bet Thompson)

Probably Back

Vinny Rey

Emmanuel Lamur

Wallace Gilberry

Mo Sanu

T.J. Johnson(ERFA)

???

Pacman

Depends on how they feel after Saturday and $$$. My gut says he's back.

So Long

Andre Smith

Eric Winston

Brandon Tate

Leon Hall

I thought Hall might be back but heard he's been playing all year with a bad back. Time to hang it up, Leon.

Bring back Marvin Jones unless he's asking for the moon.  Same with Iloka.  

The Bengals will have some compensatories I believe?  Target a WR and Safety in the draft if need be.  Along with LB and DT.  

There's also FA to use to shore up the roster.  

The FA list is really not as bad as what it seemed before the season started.

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So Long

Andre Smith

Eric Winston

Brandon Tate

Leon Hall

oh god, oh god, please let it be so

Leon hopefully heals up and sticks for a near vet-min 1 yr contract to help mentor the 1st or 2nd day CB the Bengals are sure to draft this year

I am counting on Andre Smith to earn us a nice r3 compensatory pick by getting a new contract elsewhere fatter than he is from a team desperate for a solid OT

15 hours ago, TJJackson said:

oh god, oh god, please let it be so

Leon hopefully heals up and sticks for a near vet-min 1 yr contract to help mentor the 1st or 2nd day CB the Bengals are sure to draft this year

I am counting on Andre Smith to earn us a nice r3 compensatory pick by getting a new contract elsewhere fatter than he is from a team desperate for a solid

No thanks on Leon. I hope I've seen him, for the last time, on his heels, trying to recover to an average WR making an average cut, making an average NFL catch look like a Sportscenter highlight.

Agree with the others, though. Nothing that can't be improved on in the draft or FA.

I honestly wouldn't mind them bringing in a fresh veteran CB. They have quite a big cap number to work with, and going after a guy like Jeremy Lane, Janoris jenkins, or a Jerraud Powers. They've done after near upper level FAs before, Tory James, Jeff Burris, trading for Deltha Oniel.

With Adam Jones a question, Dennard injured and Dre Kirk a borderline bust, they do need to restock this group with some talent. This group without Adam and Newman is thin and lacks talent

• Like 1

Listening to Lap on a clip from bengalsline...

Thinks it could be an either/or situation with Jones and Sanu, Jones being the No. 1 target.

Andre Smith likely gone, no surprise there. Winston too.

Hall getting epidurals for bad back all season, has "run the course, I think."

Pacman? If $$$ not ridiculous he was your best corner. Team not 12-4 w/o Pacman & Burfict, they were playing at pro bowl level when healthy.

Sims/Thompson either/or

Iloka "in trouble" because Williams showed he could play & Reggie tied for league lead in picks tho he's "long in tooth". Lap thinks they draft a safety high, maybe in the first, "get new blood" into that position.

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Listening to Lap on a clip from bengalsline...

Thinks it could be an either/or situation with Jones and Sanu, Jones being the No. 1 target.

Andre Smith likely gone, no surprise there. Winston too.

Hall getting epidurals for bad back all season, has "run the course, I think."

Pacman? If $$$ not ridiculous he was your best corner. Team not 12-4 w/o Pacman & Burfict, they were playing at pro bowl level when healthy.

Sims/Thompson either/or

Iloka "in trouble" because Williams showed he could play & Reggie tied for league lead in picks tho he's "long in tooth". Lap thinks they draft a safety high, maybe in the first, "get new blood" into that position.

would be a shame if Iloka isn't retained. He is a very competent SS and even if Williams showed he can p[lay, Iloka is an NFL starter and Williams is a back-up at this point, or a suitable fill in for Nelson

wouldn't mind them going safety high in draft but CB/WR/LB should be first looks. Roster is in good shape. Last thing to mention is AJM could be trade bait for the new LA Rams. AJM and Mrs. AJM would be perfect fit in LA, and AJM has shown he can start. If u are the Rams, what do you really have? a great D and Todd Guerley.

1 hour ago, kingwilly said:

would be a shame if Iloka isn't retained. He is a very competent SS and even if Williams showed he can p[lay, Iloka is an NFL starter and Williams is a back-up at this point, or a suitable fill in for Nelson

wouldn't mind them going safety high in draft but CB/WR/LB should be first looks. Roster is in good shape. Last thing to mention is AJM could be trade bait for the new LA Rams. AJM and Mrs. AJM would be perfect fit in LA, and AJM has shown he can start. If u are the Rams, what do you really have? a great D and Todd Guerley.

I agree 100% on Iloka.  The new CBA is the enemy here.  Trying to keep Iloka on his second deal will be much, much, more expensive than even a first or second round draftee playing under his heavily price controlled rookie contract.

Also, this is just a feeling I have from checking out his girlfriend's twitter, but I think she may be pushing his ass to sign in a large media market so she can market her large ass to that media.  Could see her desperately reaching for a "real housewives" type level of fame, and that ain't happening in Cinci.

I think Adam Jones is gone.  He's probably facing his last deal, and he will rightfully look to get every dime.  This might not be a terrible thing.  He just had an incredible year, and I'm a huge fan.  But the dude comes unhinged when the wind blows the wrong way, and like it or not he's a natural leader on our defense.  Maybe Burfict will find it a little easier to contain himself if his partner in spontaneous combustion is playing in Jacksonville or Oakland or wherever he ends up.  

I know this is not going to happen, but in free agency I would love a new center.  Go find the best available center and sign him.  

38 minutes ago, COB said:

I agree 100% on Iloka.  The new CBA is the enemy here.  Trying to keep Iloka on his second deal will be much, much, more expensive than even a first or second round draftee playing under his heavily price controlled rookie contract.

Also, this is just a feeling I have from checking out his girlfriend's twitter, but I think she may be pushing his ass to sign in a large media market so she can market her large ass to that media.  Could see her desperately reaching for a "real housewives" type level of fame, and that ain't happening in Cinci.

I think Adam Jones is gone.  He's probably facing his last deal, and he will rightfully look to get every dime.  This might not be a terrible thing.  He just had an incredible year, and I'm a huge fan.  But the dude comes unhinged when the wind blows the wrong way, and like it or not he's a natural leader on our defense.  Maybe Burfict will find it a little easier to contain himself if his partner in spontaneous combustion is playing in Jacksonville or Oakland or wherever he ends up.  

I know this is not going to happen, but in free agency I would love a new center.  Go find the best available center and sign him.  

I get the same vibe from Iloka. I don't think I've ever once read him saying anything like "I want to be here." Instead it's always a kind of wistful, "this is the last year we'll all be together" comment. And the idea that his ample squeeze wants a higher-profile crib than Cincy makes a lot of sense, too. Feels like he's gone to me.

Re Jones I had the same thought about Burfict. Maybe without the volatile Pacman, Vontaze can keep it together better. But still I have to question what interest there is. He ended up here because no one else would sign his oft-injured, oft-arrested butt, and he hasn't exactly been stellar on either count in his time in Cincy. Toss on the Saturday night implosion, and who is going to pay big bucks for him?

http://stripehype.com/2016/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-top-five-outside-free-agents-target/

Interesting thoughts from Stripe Hype for some replacement FA's if the Bengals don't seal a deal with their own guys :-*

If Marvin Jones isn't re-signed then go for Jermaine Kearse from Seattle Seahawks.

If Pacman or Hall are out the door (and it could be both) then fill the gap with the Steelers Brandon Boykin or a redemption project in Dallas's Morris Claiborne

Iloka should be re-signed or tagged which leaves Nelson up in the air - go for Indy's Dwight Lowery

Wallace Gilberry goes and is replaced by Miami's Derrick Shelby.

All nice stuff to while away the mundane days til the draft, but we all know the Bengals don't splash for FAs so keep this in the "pipe dream" category, unless Mikey has had something sneaked into his pipe and starts hallucinating none of this will happen ...... 

So I saw that there was a new Hobson's Choice column up on da site. And as I clicked the link, I thought to myself, he's gonna do it. You know he's gonna do it. It's the first column of the offseason, it's probably in his contract. He's gonna do it.

And good ol' Geoffy didn't let me down.

The cap figures to beyond the $143 million of last year and the Bengals will no doubt be in position to keep their own free agents they target. The cap figure usually doesn’t emerge until the league’s new year starts the second week of March  

According spotrac.com, the Bengals have six starters (wide receiver Marvin Jones, cornerback Adam Jones, safeties Reggie Nelson and George Iloka, right tackle Andre Smith, SAM backer Emmanuel Lamur) and seven regulars (slot corner Leon Hall, linebacker Vincent Rey, wide receivers Mohamed Sanu and Brandon Tate, defensive linemen Wallace Gilberry, Brandon Thompson, Pat Sims) headed to free agency.

Odds are they’ll keep a handful but far from all of them. They’d like to have most of them back, but that’s not realistic. They’ll re-stock mainly through the draft and with players already on the roster. 

WE'RE BROKE FELLAS! BROKE! Can't even keep all our own free agents! Maybe a handful if we're lucky! According to Hobs they maybe get Marvin Jones, Pacman, LNR and maybe Iloka OR Nelson. That's all, folks! Flat busted broke! Mikey's gonna have to sell the Lumina and take public transit this year. Oh the humanity!

Hobson = puppet + string

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So I saw that there was a new Hobson's Choice column up on da site. And as I clicked the link, I thought to myself, he's gonna do it. You know he's gonna do it. It's the first column of the offseason, it's probably in his contract. He's gonna do it.

And good ol' Geoffy didn't let me down.

WE'RE BROKE FELLAS! BROKE! Can't even keep all our own free agents! Maybe a handful if we're lucky! According to Hobs they maybe get Marvin Jones, Pacman, LNR and maybe Iloka OR Nelson. That's all, folks! Flat busted broke! Mikey's gonna have to sell the Lumina and take public transit this year. Oh the humanity!

He didn't mention the rookie pool, so, fail.  He's slipping in his old age.