Bengals @ Broncos Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

15 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

All this could have been taken care of the bengals defense played like the Ravens defense did. The Ravens wanted the game for sure, or at least it looked that way.

All these teams going into the playoffs are playing hot right now, and the bengals go in playing with a backup QB. I'm just hoping the defense plays lights out, and Dalton is able to play. 

The Ravens are Pittsburgh's thorn in the side just like the Steelers are the Bengals and the Giants are the Patriots.

For me, all the analyzing, hoping, and wishing are done!  IF they want a seed, a bye, and an extra week for Andy, they win tomorrow night................PERIOD!!!

I know Marvin isn't one to rest players, but if they win tomorrow night, the ONLY thing going all out against Baltimore would do, if they win, is 'possibly', although unlikely, get them a number one seed, since NE is playing a listless Miami, and after a loss they are going to come out guns blazing!

What would be the benefit of that?  They still only get one bye.

Point being, wouldn't it make more sense, to rest the dinged up players against Baltimore, conceding the 1 seed to New England, giving the Bengals a healthier team to go in playoff week 2??

Just now, gregcook68 said:

I know Marvin isn't one to rest players, but if they win tomorrow night, the ONLY thing going all out against Baltimore would do, if they win, is 'possibly', although unlikely, get them a number one seed.

What would be the benefit of that?  They still only get one bye.

Point being, wouldn't it make more sense, to rest the dinged up players against Baltimore, conceding the 1 seed to New England??

I say concede nothing.

1 minute ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

The Bengals rested their starters in 2005 and [mostly] in 2009.  Both of the following wild card games were terrible.

I don't think this team has earned that until they've established a trend for winning in the playoffs.  Play every game to win and stay sharp.

Resting players wasn't the reason they lost in either year Stripes.

2005 was the freak injury to Palmer and 2009 Palmer was horrible!

11 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Wow. Ok, clearly in order to keep things going so good in the NFL from now through Super Bowl Sunday I must skip the 1 pm games and go rewatch The Force Awakens instead! :grin:

I'll take that for myself, if that means I can go see the Force Awakens I'll take one for the team lol.

3 minutes ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

The Bengals rested their starters in 2005 and [mostly] in 2009.  Both of the following wild card games were terrible.

I don't think this team has earned that until they've established a trend for winning in the playoffs.  Play every game to win and stay sharp.

The Ravens rested their players in 2013 in their last game against Cincy, lost and then won the SB!

Just now, gregcook68 said:

Resting players wasn't the reason they lost in either year Stripes.

2005 was the freak injury to Palmer and 2009 Palmer was horrible!

The entire team failed in 2005 and Palmer's crappy 2009 might have been caused in part by his one terrible quarter in week 17 followed by three quarters of the bench.

In any event, I think there's very little chance of Marvin opting to rest the starters.  In 2013 he pooh-poohed at the notion because he felt it did them no good in the past.  The #1 seed is worth playing for too even if they need help.

This discussion might actually be more relevant if the Bengals lose to Denver, because they'd be close to locked into the #3 seed (barring a Denver loss to San Diego at home and a Bengals win over Baltimore).

On 12/22/2015, 1:11:19, BengalByTheBay said:

For whatever reason when I try to reply on my phone it insists on putting in the quote of whoever I replied to last. 

Stripes, I'm not going to debate. We have stated our opinions, and beside that, it's pointless as we are all just couch coaches.

It was the 2012 Ravens but the rest of the post is correct.

The Bengals have already said that tomorrow night is their first playoff game. 

I believe if they lose tomorrow, they lose the WC playoff game.

(quoting not working correctly, so this is in reply to Kazkal)  I believe the Steelers were something like 11 or 12 point favorites today.  And BTW, I remain confused how Roethlisberger deserves to be selected to Pro Bowl this year.  Hey, we all know his accomplishments and I'm not questioning that.  But this year?  He nearly has as many INTs as TDs.

24 minutes ago, duus said:

(quoting not working correctly, so this is in reply to Kazkal)  I believe the Steelers were something like 11 or 12 point favorites today.  And BTW, I remain confused how Roethlisberger deserves to be selected to Pro Bowl this year.  Hey, we all know his accomplishments and I'm not questioning that.  But this year?  He nearly has as many INTs as TDs.

Agreed!  This has been a freaky year for QB injuries!

Especially when 2 of the most durable QBs, in the last 5 years go down. (Dalton and Flacco)

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Wow. Ok, clearly in order to keep things going so good in the NFL from now through Super Bowl Sunday I must skip the 1 pm games and go rewatch The Force Awakens instead! :grin:

Waiting for it to start right now.  Sitting in the theater.