Bengals @ Broncos Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

3 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

He did crap. Bad decisions, lots of indecision, poor time mgmt, three TOs in first quarter.

Dude what do you expect? He's a redshirt rookie in his second start. I know there's this theory that Dalton sucks and any slapdick from a division 3 team can win with our super mega awesome o but this is reality not madden. Give him a year and maybe we're talking about which QB to keep but not now. It sucks they didn't get the win but I liked what I saw tonight. Bring on the WC game.

I don't like how it ended, but they were up against it at that point facing tough yardage.  It sucks, but not surprising.

I credit Denver and look to our coaches.  The Bengals had a solid game plan in the first half and when Denver made their adjustments in playing more zone defense in the second half, the Bengals appeared to continue doing the same thing.  They weren't able to establish a consistent running game and I don't think they took many shots downfield until almost the end of the 2nd quarter.  I'm still wondering why Green quit on that route, because that was an easy TD.  Oh well.

The defense was absolutely spent out there and couldn't sustain their effort towards the end of the game.  They put up a solid effort all things considered.
Hopefully McCarron's wrist is ok and they go after Baltimore in the last game.  Denver is not a lock to win against a Chargers team that could look to hurt a divisional foe.

Just take it in stride when considering our situation and hope for the best.  A wild card game at home at worst.

Now that I've had time to decompress and process the mile high debacle -

1.  Geno and Dunlap are studs of the highest order.  That makeshift o-line Denver threw out there better not show up in Cinci for a January playoff game, they'll get owned.

2.  Some of these NFL officiating crews will let you mug receivers all the way down the field.  I couldn't believe the physical stuff both teams were getting away with way downfield, sometimes all the way through the route.  

3.  Hue Jackson needs to change his halftime adjustment strategy, or go coach somewhere else.

4.  Don't let Peko's sack numbers fool you this year.  His real job is help stop the run on downs we know they are going to run, and he horribly failed at that last night.  Need new fat guy.  

Re 3, the problem wasn't Hue's halftime adjustments. The problem was that the passing game couldn't defeat the zone defense Denver switched to in the second half. Either the receivers messed up (like AJ slowing upon what may have been a TD pass), or McCarron didn't see the open man, or when he did, couldn't hit him. The good news is that this is all fixable and they really weren't that far off -- AJ very nearly made a couple of big throws -- but the bad news is that the fix is reps, reps, reps and they are just out of time.