Bengals @ 49ers Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

21 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

That's pretty surprising, but I suppose it should be good news?  I know jack about injury rehab honestly, but every talking head seemed to be swearing up and down that a surgery would be needed and that Dalton would only have a prayer of sniffing the divisional round.

Its the thumb on his throwing hand, so to me, I doubt he plays again this season. Gripping and throwing puts huge stress on a hand, and unless hes all healed, i just don't think it can be done in 3-5 weeks. but we can't see the xray or see where it's broken, etc.

McCarron is the guy for now. let's see what he can do. Probably no one more excited than AJ...

35 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

What did Ray Lewis use a few years ago to come back from that injury?  Goat ball serum?  Deer antler hair?  Or something like that.  That's what Dalton needs.  

/me awaits COB's response to this question.

Hue not backing down with McCarron.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Jackson-wont-back-down-with-McCarron/66113481-1c8e-4b04-b073-30f282db99da

That is, though, the big question. What does a McCarron game plan look like as opposed to a Dalton game plan?

“It’s going to be somewhat different, but not too much,” Jackson said. “He’s run our system. It’s just a matter of locking down things with the staff about what we want to do with him and what I think is best. But it’s going to come from what we do. We’re not going to invent anything new.”

The biggest casualty would appear to be Jackson’s multiple formations that Dalton deploys so effortlessly because of his five seasons of experience. Even Jackson allowed Monday that Dalton has become an extension of him and that McCarron needs to have less on his plate.

“As much as we can. Andy was a veteran player who I had a lot of confidence in, who I didn’t have to do everything for. Because the system has been his,” Jackson said. “We’ve maybe re-organized things, but he’s always hit the ground running. So far AJ has to, but now he’s going to be the starter, so we’ll do a few things differently with him.”

But Jackson says that doesn’t mean less is less. You’ll still see the creativity foaming at the mouth. You won’t have to say good-bye to tackles split wide and Mohamed Sanu reverses.

“We aren't going to stop being who we are. It's next man up here,” Jackson said. “You guys know how I am. It's next man up. He's the next man up. So he'll go play well. We'll do whatever we have to do. You might see a formation you've never seen this week. You never know . . . We're going to make some magic happen. That's all. We will.”

But it’s hard to see them giving McCarron the freedom at the line that Dalton earned through the trial and error of 77 starts and 50 wins.

“Obviously everything we did with Andy -- a la the things at the line of scrimmage -- maybe will be different,” Jackson said. “That's OK. That's nothing new. I want him to be as comfortable as he can be and play as well as he can play. So whatever it is that we need to do for that to happen is what we'll do.”

McCarron gets that, but he says he won’t exactly be a geranium when he comes to the line.  In fact, he says he doesn’t see much difference, except that he’ll need help from veterans like left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

“In the last game we kept with the same game plan. We didn’t try to do anything basic, but stay to our same ideas,” McCarron said. “Whit said it best today, everybody else is going to have to step up another level. He said nothing against me but AD has been in this offense for five years.

“There’s going to be times when he can tell people certain things at the line, what to do. I think it will be the same thing. It’s my job to get us in the right protection and see the things coming.”

Physically, Dalton is a better runner than McCarron, although they didn’t shy away from the zone read when the change was made. In fact, the pick-six came off a zone read that McCarron said he should have handed off. But McCarron also had a knack in college for extending plays out of the pocket.

“He's ready to assume any role we ask him to play within our offense,” Jackson said. “I don't have any reservations or limitations with him. There are things I will get to know more about him, because he's different. He's not a backup quarterback, he's the starting quarterback for this week. Obviously there are different things that he'll feel and different things that I'll spend more time with him that way. But I have a good feel for him.

So, assuming the Bengals win on Sunday out on the west coast, what would be the preferential result out of the Denver @ Pittsburgh game?

A Denver win would hand us the AFCN, a play-off spot, and be a huge dent in Pitts own play-off dreams, whereas a Pitts win would open up the No.2 seed for us, should McCarron be able to take us post season. ????

We root for Denver.

They're playing the Steelers. Friends don't let friends root for the Steelers.

As long as the Bengals take care of business in SF, a bye will still be on the table in Denver no matter if the Broncos win or lose in PItt. And if the Bengals lose, we'd rather have the division rival lose, too. Holding onto the AFCN title, even without a bye, at least means a home wild card game.

We're also rooting for the Jets and the Chiefs to win and stay ahead of Pitt in the wild card race.

23 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

What did Ray Lewis use a few years ago to come back from that injury?  Goat ball serum?  Deer antler hair?  Or something like that.  That's what Dalton needs.  

He used the life force of his murder victims.  He sure was a fast healer!  

1 hour ago, Scottishbengal said:

So, assuming the Bengals win on Sunday out on the west coast, what would be the preferential result out of the Denver @ Pittsburgh game?

A Denver win would hand us the AFCN, a play-off spot, and be a huge dent in Pitts own play-off dreams, whereas a Pitts win would open up the No.2 seed for us, should McCarron be able to take us post season. ????

Not sure if this is a serious question.  As a Bengals fan, you are required to have at least two favorite teams, the Bengals, and whomever is playing the Steelers.

• Like 1