Bad news guys, we gotta stop saying "Who Dey".

BengalszoneBilly

Per this article on Cincinnati.com, using the words "Who Dey", (or in the case of the New Orleans Saints, "Who Dat",) could be deemed offensive to certain ethnic groups.

4977_1449604722.jpg

Look for the d-words: “dey,” “dat,” “dem.” What are they doing in there? The words should actually be “they,” “that,” and “them” (though, admittedly, “Who They” doesn’t quite have the same appeal). Though I studied linguistics and African American literature in college, I’m pretty sure most of us need no background in either of those things to see the relationship here: dey, dat, and dem are versions of they, that, andthem typically found in Black English, or Gullah, or Creole English, or Ebonics, or any number of English dialects tracing their roots back to African language. Our beloved chant imitates Black English.

So I guess that's it for using the words "Who Dey" here guys. Especially you Army. You've got it in almost 50% of your posts. God forbid we offend anyone. :cry:

46 minutes ago, Earendil said:

Sigh

EDIT: And the writer of this article is white.  How about we get the opinion of African American Bengals fans and ask them if they find it offensive, rather than assuming they do?

There's a black guy (the only one in the entire image actually) directly under the "H" letter in the picture above, and he sure doesn't seem offended.

I'll not panic nor pander too this political correctness gone mad, and as long as there's a team called the Redskins..........

• Like 1

You know, all this sounded vaguely familiar. Sure enough...

Before I go any further, you need to know that Haap is also a longtime Cincinnati “activist” who has been a candidate for the Cincinnati school board and used to run a liberal site called the Cincinnati Beacon, which, ironically, raised this whole racist “Who Dey” subject going back to 2010. The Beacon no longer exists online so now we’re stuck with Haap’s rehash on the Enquirer.

This didn’t just arise for Haap. He’s been on this rant for years

2 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

....we'll see if the Bengals stop using it in the locker room after victories, encouraged by a black HC, and led by JB who is also black. My guess is no.

It can't be racist if the HC encouraging it is black.

Who the hell is JB?  You keep mentioning JB and I can't think of who that could be.

36 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Unbelievable!  Of all the swearing in here, and middle school drawings with penises and all, and I get censored for telling the truth, with no expletives or slurs whatsoever?????????

No need to make a stupid situation worse by trying to piss people off.

I like the drawings of penises and saying "F*CK".  Then again, I'm just an angry kind of guy.

I could be wrong, but that would require me beating the hell out of someone.