Steelers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

The talking heads on the NFL Network were talking about Sunday's matchup between the Steelers and Bengals. Of course they're all riding Ben's jock and predicting a Pittsburgh win. I beg to differ.

Speaking of talking heads, the King of Talking A-holes, Adam Schein, says there is no way the Bengals will not only NOT hold the number one seed, but will also lose the number 2 seed after losses to Thugsburgh and Denver!

My son listens to all these heads and passes along nuggets every now and then.

Just about all the talking heads have predicted either the Patriots, Broncos, or Steelers winning the AFC.

My son said the only one that he has heard that has picked the Bengals is Tony Dungy.

Bengals need to win Sunday, clinch and hope the Jets and Chiefs can win 3 of the last 4, so Steelers and Ravens are home by the fire during the playoffs.

No surprise. That's been the case since before the season began, when the Ravens ("the most complete team in the division") and the Steelers ("championship DNA") were going to vie for the North with the Bengals ("taking a step back") would be lucky to hold off the Browns for third place.

Like a lot of Bengals fans, a lot of the pundit class is so done with Dalton and Lewis. They have decided they can't win and can't wait for them both to go so something new to talk about will come along. The Bengals must fail because they're bored, damnit.

Yeah Sunday's game is going to be more important than any of the rest beyond it.  Not sure I care about the bye week as much as playing at home.  It would also be nice to help put Pitt on the ropes with the hopes you don't have to beat them 3X in a season (odds are against that typically).  

• Like 1

Ben is half wrecked.  Pressure him and slam him into the turf a couple times.  He's not right physically and could be knocked out of the game.  Rushing 4 probably won't do it so we better see some stunts.

When we rushed 4 in the first game Ben had all day.  No way to cover their number 1 for all that time.  We have to pressure Ben.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, COB said:

Ben is half wrecked.  Pressure him and slam him into the turf a couple times.  He's not right physically and could be knocked out of the game.  Rushing 4 probably won't do it so we better see some stunts.

When we rushed 4 in the first game Ben had all day.  No way to cover their number 1 for all that time.  We have to pressure Ben.

I agree, the D needs to apply some heat or Ben will kill us downfield. But that said, the Bengals offense badly needs to find its groove against Pittsburgh. In the Dalton era, the most points the Bengals have ever scored against Pittsburgh is 21, in last season's 42-21 Steelers blowout. In 2013 Cincy managed to score 20 in each game. The first was a win, in the second, 13 of those 20 points came in garbage time of another Pitt blowout. Out side of those three game the Bengals have scored 17, 7, 17, 13, 17 and most recently 16. That averages out to 16.44 points a game. That isn't a number that's going to win you a lot of games.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I agree, the D needs to apply some heat or Ben will kill us downfield. But that said, the Bengals offense badly needs to find its groove against Pittsburgh. In the Dalton era, the most points the Bengals have ever scored against Pittsburgh is 21, in last season's 42-21 Steelers blowout. In 2013 Cincy managed to score 20 in each game. The first was a win, in the second, 13 of those 20 points came in garbage time of another Pitt blowout. Out side of those three game the Bengals have scored 17, 7, 17, 13, 17 and most recently 16. That averages out to 16.44 points a game. That isn't a number that's going to win you a lot of games.

I know some in here get irritated when someone says this, so let me preface with this; this 2015 team has done several things so far this year to make a sound case for being a 'different' team, but the season (16 games) isnt over yet. 

There's no reason that the Bengal organization cannot start being the team to beat in the AFC North, taking over the spot the Steelers and Ravens have held for so long. 

I think Hue Jackson is right on the money here concerning this organization:

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/3571551030711314154130910815

I think Martin's latest tactic of nameless faceless opponents is brilliant. Stop letting the Steelers name inimidate them.  They are just another team that they need to go out and do what they do best.

The Steeler defense is no better than the Seahawk or Cardinal defense that they scored 27 and 34 points on, respectively.

I dont see how anyone can believe that this team is different enough to be championship caliber IF they can't continue to win the big games during the season, be it home or away, big stage or not.

The only 'egg like' game they've had so far was the Texan game. No way their defense should have held them to 6 points, but even so, they were on the game wining drive when Green fumbled.

They cannot let them come in their house on Sunday and hand them their hind ends like last year.

Yes, Army, they have 4 games left of the 16, and they need to believe in their hearts, and show on the field that this is a different team.

I believe this IS the team to get it done!!  My challenege is don't let it lay in the 'We believe mode'...... as Larry the Cable Guy says, 'Get her done' ..... make it happen!

Nameless, faceless, just another team and an oppourtunity to clinch the division!

WHO DEY!!!!!

1 hour ago, gregcook68 said:

Yes, Army, they have 4 games left of the 16, and they need to believe in their hearts, and show on the field that this is a different team.

Ok...

They may in fact totally bomb the better portion of the remaining schedule and end up in a wild card situation.

IF they were to win that wild card game would anyone here be bitching because they bombed the end of the regular season ??

I simply think they've already shown this team is different (minus the Texans game) in that they are in fact mentally tough.  They have hung in and come back on some really good teams.  People can complain all they want, but this team has had a different feel all season.  Maybe they've simply not paid attention and are taking the wins for granted.

I don't think it's about attitude but rather execution.

The o-line has to play well. The run game has to work. Dalton must make the correct pre-snap reads and deliver the ball accurately. His skill guys must make plays and not mistakes.

These are all things that regularly do not happen against Pittsburgh. The o-line leaks, the run gets stuffed, Dalton makes bad reads, gets hurried and makes bad throws, and the skill guys drop passes and fumble balls.

They got a great warm-up game in Cleveland last Sunday. Now time to do it for real.

34 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Ok...

They may in fact totally bomb the better portion of the remaining schedule and end up in a wild card situation.

IF they were to win that wild card game would anyone here be bitching because they bombed the end of the regular season ??

I simply think they've already shown this team is different (minus the Texans game) in that they are in fact mentally tough.  They have hung in and come back on some really good teams.  People can complain all they want, but this team has had a different feel all season.  Maybe they've simply not paid attention and are taking the wins for granted.

One playoff win gets you nothing. I won't have 100% confidence, they can win that playoff game IF, they can't win the big games during the season. Cat described it well on the differences when they play Pitt. Cat and I just disagree on WHY they play THAT way against Pittsburgh. I believe it's mental. Its the great Steelers! That's why I think Marvin was brilliant in TRYING to take some of that away with nameless faceless.  Will it help? Time will tell.

I already agreed that this team has shown itself to be different, all Im saying is the real test is ahead of them.

One thing is in their favor and that is nobody is picking them to GET to the SB. BTW my son said if they and the Patriots win out, the Pats still get #1 seed based on strength of schedule?

18 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

One thing is in their favor and that is nobody is picking them to GET to the SB. BTW my son said if they and the Patriots win out, the Pats still get #1 seed based on strength of schedule?

your son is wrong, Bengals currently have number 1 seed based on Pats and Bengals strength of schedule. for next 4 weeks Bengals have harder schedule than Patriots mostly due to Broncos on Bengals schedule. so no way Pats will move up to 1st seed later if both win out.

unless Some how those teams that Patriots have VS this year win all their games for next 4 weeks and teams who have play Bengals this year lose all their game for next 4 week. THAT will change everything and Patriots end up with 1st seed lol

The Steelers suck.  I hope Burfict takes out Brown and Ben.  On the same play, for all I care.  Then their fake tough fans can whine and cry about how dirty the Bengals played them.  Tomlin can pose in his mirror shades and blather on with his phony bullshit. 

Come on Bengals, sweep the North.

Looking forward to watching the Steelers dragging their wounded back into the tunnel after a humiliating beating.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The tiebreaker isn't strength of schedule it's strength of victory. Pats are 8 games ahead so it's hard the Bengals winning that.

So, my son was right, he just had the reason wrong, SOV instead of SOS.

I find it interesting how poor Tommy Brady is being excused for the two losses, one at home to a team who isn't even .500 because his main receiving corp is hurt.

Yet, Dalton got blasted again for losing the 4th playoff game, IN Indianapolis, with absolutely no starting receivers!

My son sent me the following article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000597313/article/next-gen-stats-notebook-pats-receivers-failing-brady

While I think Dalton gets more than his fair share of blame of the playoff losses, I haven't seen a lot of shade thrown his way for the Indy game. Everyone acknowledges they were in an impossible position with all the injuries. No excuses this year, tho.

22 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

While I think Dalton gets more than his fair share of blame of the playoff losses, I haven't seen a lot of shade thrown his way for the Indy game. Everyone acknowledges they were in an impossible position with all the injuries. No excuses this year, tho.

I don't browse the talking heads like some, just get what my son sends my way, but don't recall a specific article of apologies and excuses like Tommy boy got.  All I remember hearing is how he has now lost 4 playoff games in a row!