Fire, marvin lewis

cincy7171

I am so sick of this coach costing the bengals games by calling these dumb ass plays like last night passing for the endzone  3rd and 2 1:30 left in the game why WHY!!!!!! all you needed was two yards and then 4 downs for a touchdown time is off the clock the cards dont fly down the field bengals win

That was probably an audible, our dumbass quarterback likely had a run and a pass to choose from.  I doubt he even gave the clock implications of his decision any thought.  Same old thing with Andy - big moment, so CHOKE.  

Someone needs to have a talk with him.  I honestly think if he walked in the kitchen and found his wife on the floor having a heart attack, he'd quickly look for something on the counter to throw to AJ Green.  His desire to just chuck it to Green has reached pathological levels.  

• Like 1

Nothing pathological about it. Peterson was out and they had the matchup they wanted on Green. Dalton was just a skosh off on the throw and AJ couldn't quite bring it down.

If they'd run the ball people would be bitching about how Marvin was playing for OT and has no killer instinct.

15 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Nothing pathological about it. Peterson was out and they had the matchup they wanted on Green. Dalton was just a skosh off on the throw and AJ couldn't quite bring it down.

If they'd run the ball people would be bitching about how Marvin was playing for OT and has no killer instinct.

Tread lightly!  You're gonna piss the forum coach off!

34 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Not going to bite on that. I know the personalities here. Can't BS the BSer...........moving on.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Peterson was out and they had the matchup they wanted on Green.

That matchup statement is true.  BUT, it was 1 minute, 15 seconds left in the game.  3rd and 2 on the 25, down by 3.  Opponent is out of timeouts.  You have to run the ball.  

If you don't get the first you get to run another 40 seconds or so off the clock by the time they get your guy down, everyone unpiles, ref figures out where to place the ball and they start the play clock.  So by the time you kick the field goal then kick off you leave them less than thirty seconds.  BTW our defense looked like crap so the last thing you want to do is put them on the field with icy stare/lantern-jawed gunslinger ready to drive down the field for the win.

So Andy gets his matchup.  Forget it, AJ can stay in and block.  If we get the first, we're throwing darts in the end zone and instead of one pass to win it we could have 7, assuming another first down.

i don't have any evidence of it, but the call reeks of Dalton.  They almost always let him audible into whatever he thinks is best. How could he not take the game situation into account?  He should have, he just blew it.

• Like 2

I think people need to just settle down, me included. They played a great team, they were down 14 points and came back to tie it, so they showed something last night.

This team will be alright, take a deep breath get back to the basics and what got them to 8-0 in the first place.

Stop the stupid penalties, get back to taking what the defense is giving you. Dalton played a pretty good game last night, against a great defense. He missed one major throw last night and of course it was the last one, but overall was pretty good.

Time to relax and just focus on the next game, they are still in the drivers seat for that 2nd seed, don't lose sight in that

19 hours ago, COB said:

That matchup statement is true.  BUT, it was 1 minute, 15 seconds left in the game.  3rd and 2 on the 25, down by 3.  Opponent is out of timeouts.  You have to run the ball.  

If you don't get the first you get to run another 40 seconds or so off the clock by the time they get your guy down, everyone unpiles, ref figures out where to place the ball and they start the play clock.  So by the time you kick the field goal then kick off you leave them less than thirty seconds.  BTW our defense looked like crap so the last thing you want to do is put them on the field with icy stare/lantern-jawed gunslinger ready to drive down the field for the win.

So Andy gets his matchup.  Forget it, AJ can stay in and block.  If we get the first, we're throwing darts in the end zone and instead of one pass to win it we could have 7, assuming another first down.

i don't have any evidence of it, but the call reeks of Dalton.  They almost always let him audible into whatever he thinks is best. How could he not take the game situation into account?  He should have, he just blew it.

We KNOW he DID call playing a major in them being 8-0!

When you start getting access to the team meetings, practices, and on the sidelines during the game, then, maybe, just maybe, it will hold water with me.

22 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

COB, I agree they should have run it. My point was that the throw wasn't an example of Dalton trying to force the ball to AJ. They read the D right and the play was there, Dalton just didn't make the throw.

Agreed, it was the matchup that superseded all else, I get the logic and the numbers game they play.  One odd thing from that game - did you see that sweet qb run they called when they put Sanu at qb in the red zone?  Shows what Hue can do.  

It it would have scored too but Andre Smith had  a rough night with penalties and one was on that play.  Sanu had kind of a quiet night, I recall a first down run or catch.  He needs to get involved more.  

Marvin quote from post game presser, explaining who made the call for the pass:

“Andy (Dalton) is going to get us in the play that he feels best versus the defense and he took the one-on-one shot to AJ (Green) and we just didn’t get our feet in. We’ve got to get the ball in where we can make an uncontested catch and I guess AJ stepped on the pylon.”

35 minutes ago, COB said:

“Andy (Dalton) is going to get us in the play that he feels best versus the defense and he took the one-on-one shot to AJ (Green) and we just didn’t get our feet in. We’ve got to get the ball in where we can make an uncontested catch and I guess AJ stepped on the pylon.”

This isn't news!  He's always had that freedom this year, part of the reason they were 8-0, including the comeback twice against Baltimore, Seattle, Texas, (can't catch all the dropped balls, and the fumble of AJ on the game winning drive, which, by the way, was Green's second big 'choke' fumble, counting last year against Pittsburgh for the division title) and the comeback last night, which, despite all the penalties and spotty bad play, still put them in a position to win, had the defense done there's for the last 50 seconds.

Marvin is the coach, he's given that freedom to his QB.  Marvin, Hue, and most are okay with it except you!

I have absolutely no problem with the attempted throw to the end zone.  It almost worked -- they were in a mindset to win the game and tried to take advantage of an opportunity that was definitely there.  I think placing the blame there before blaming the defense for allowing the Cardinals to literally stroll down the field in less than a minute is silly.

The fact that a "fire Marvin Lewis" thread exists on this board right now is pretty much laughable.  I've had plenty of beefs with him as a coach over the years, but is this really the time?  Come on.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

I think people need to just settle down, me included. They played a great team, they were down 14 points and came back to tie it, so they showed something last night.

This team will be alright, take a deep breath get back to the basics and what got them to 8-0 in the first place.

Stop the stupid penalties, get back to taking what the defense is giving you. Dalton played a pretty good game last night, against a great defense. He missed one major throw last night and of course it was the last one, but overall was pretty good.

Time to relax and just focus on the next game, they are still in the drivers seat for that 2nd seed, don't lose sight in that

I'm far from upset. Just get to the playoffs and win. At least once.

54 minutes ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

The fact that a "fire Marvin Lewis" thread exists on this board right now is pretty much laughable. 

Agreed.  Marvin has his difficulties, but fire Marvin during an 8-2 (thus far) season, and a likely fifth playoff year?  Ridiculous is truly the word.

Alexander's wrestling-based pass blocking technique might get fired, though.

Alexander's so far up MB's rear end, he'll probably be here til he's 80, he certainly hasn't been courted by anyone else. In fact he'll probably be the next HC.

You just knew Dalton would do something that bone-headed on 3rd and 2 in that situation - you don't leave that much time on the clock no matter who's guarding Green, unless he's wide open and it's a no-brainer (Marvin eluded to that I believe in his comments - "uncontested").

Yet Marvin's team has averaged 9 penalties a game the last 3 weeks, so he's certainly to blame for their lack of discipline and generally sloppy play (most of it coming from the suddenly porous 0-line).

I just don't know, I don't think Dalton is capable of doing much against the best teams, never will be.  I think a big part of it is mental with him, and that's too bad.  And Marvin doesn't seem to hold anyone accountable for mistakes or poor play, outside of Jeremy Hill.

20 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

You just knew Dalton would do something that bone-headed on 3rd and 2 in that situation - you don't leave that much time on the clock no matter who's guarding Green, unless he's wide open and it's a no-brainer (Marvin eluded to that I believe in his comments - "uncontested").

Yet Marvin's team has averaged 9 penalties a game the last 3 weeks, so he's certainly to blame for their lack of discipline and generally sloppy play (most of it coming from the suddenly porous 0-line).

I just don't know, I don't think Dalton is capable of doing much against the best teams, never will be.  I think a big part of it is mental with him, and that's too bad.  And Marvin doesn't seem to hold anyone accountable for mistakes or poor play, outside of Jeremy Hill.

I hear ya Steaker!  Why do we even bother rooting for a team that has disappointed us with stupid boneheaded ownership, coaching, drafting for 47 years???

Maybe it's time to change it up?

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Dalton & the offense score 31 points = loss all their fault.

Defense allows 34 points = LOOK OVER THERE ITS A SQUIRREL!!!

Or......if the Bengals score 31 points, its a great offensive display. However, when the number one offense scores 34 against the Bengals, it's bad defense?

Sometimes teams get outplayed! You seldom will ever hear that admission, not only here, but with coaches and social media.

3 hours ago, COB said:

Do you run it to help exhaust the clock for Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer since he has no timeouts left? Or do you go for the win knowing an incomplete pass and a tying field goal gives Palmer about a minute to get the winning field goal?

On Monday afternoon, with no sleep, offensive coordinator Hue Jackson defended his call and quarterbackAndy Dalton’s decision to exploit wide receiver A.J. Green’s matchup in what turned into a nightmarish sequence.

Jackson says to blame him. It appeared Dalton had choices because it was zone read that had both Dalton and running back Giovani Bernard as running options. But when Jackson saw Bethel getting no help against Green, he knew where Dalton was going.

“We left ourselves out there for me to be questioned about it. I take responsibility for it. Nobody else's fault but mine. I made the call, and I knew exactly where the ball was going when I looked at the defense,” Jackson said. “I go 'Oh boy, here we go, game over.' It didn't happen that way. So, that's how it goes.”

What surprised Jackson is that Dalton missed the throw. Green had Bethel beat by at least a step down the right sideline and if Dalton had kept leading him instead of throwing it short enough to hit Bethel’s shoulder pads, the Bengals lead, 35-31, and the Cards have to score a TD.

I put this topic on here and I stand by it cannot beat the top teams cant win in prime time cant win away at night the record is horrible look it up. Why,why do the bengals keep on with this guy.This is the same bengals we've watched for the last 4 years you wait and see. I dont have problems with hue jackson excellent offense. OK answer me this one why is Andy Dalton still qb of this team A.J. Mcarron sits on the bench againhes better period. 2 championships at Bama in a row his reads are ten times better than daltons. What did red do rose bowl thats it what why!! Why!! is he backing up dalton The ball should have went to bernard period. 10 yrs of this with lewis its time for a change he cant get it done with the talent on My beloved Bengals we should have one if not two Super Bowls by now. I cant take it I'm bleeding orange and black I want a championship in Cincy. Whatever it takes M. Lewis 0-6 in playoffs NFL lead writer Mike Freeman " the only thing holding the bengals back from the super bowl is Andy Dalton " " dalton will throw 3-4 picks in the playoffs again and the bengals will be packing it up for next season again " I agree 100%  A.J. Mcarron please lets go to the super bowl