Rams @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

It's not like the Rams need Coley to write it on ESPN, they very likely know all about Dalton's proclivity to wilt under pressure.  And as a result, we can just about be assured every passing down, and a lot of running downs, will see pressure right up the middle.

Alexander better get his ass in gear and get our center and both guards coached up for Sunday.  They're going to be attacked.  I'm not happy with our weak quarterback play under pressure, but it's what we've got right now.  He needs a perfectly clean pocket, and he needs receiver to get open.  Then he can succeed.  If, as happened against Arizona and Pittsburgh, our QB is having his own linemen pushed right into his face, we are going to struggle.   

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/20222/bengals-andy-dalton-hidden-problem-pressure-dealing

Andy Dalton's hidden problem? Dealing with pressure

3d
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
nfl_g_daltts_1296x518.jpg&h=402&scale=cr
Andy Dalton has thrown 19 of his 20 TD passes this season when he isn't pressured by opposing rushers. Bob Levey/Getty Images
  • harvey_coley_m.jpg&w=65&h=65&scale=crop
    Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- For as many strides as Andy Dalton has made in displaying consistently strong play this season, there still is one area where he has struggled.

The numbers show the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback still doesn't handle pressure from opposing pass-rushers very well.

Sure, few quarterbacks do, but according to ESPN Stats & Information, Dalton's Total QBR when facing pressure is a mediocre 6.9, ranking him 24th among qualifying quarterbacks. That's right in line with the career 4.3 QBR he has when dealing with pressure, a figure that ranks him 26th among qualifying signal-callers since 2011, the year he began playing.

Alternatively, Dalton's 91.7 QBR this season when he isn't pressured is the best in the league. Without pressure, he also has thrown 19 of his 20 touchdown passes (he had 19 overall touchdown passes all last season), ranks fourth in passer rating (112.3) and eighth in completion percentage (70.9). When he has time and isn't running for his life, Dalton has been able to make a lot of good happen. When his pocket isn't as secure, problems arise.

The Arizona Cardinals must have seen that in their preparation. Per Stats & Information, the Cardinals sent pressure on 18 of the 71 snaps Dalton took Sunday night. That's the most times he has been hounded that way in a game this season. In the loss to the Texans the previous week, he was pressured 12 times.

During the Bengals' 8-0 start, Dalton was pressured an average 6.8 times per game. With pressure on just 84 plays this season, Dalton is one of the league's least pressured quarterbacks.

Although the numbers didn't much show it, Dalton's coaches thought he handled the Cardinals' added pressure OK.

"They're a good defensive football team, they've got good rushers and they brought the heat from everywhere," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said. "They're entitled to do that. It's not illegal for them to do that. We've just got to block it better. But for the most part, we blocked some things and some of the layups [wide-open deep passes Dalton missed] we're talking about, if you hit some of those maybe the pressure slows down. But if you don't hit them, the pressure increases. That's just kind of the nature of football."

Although he attempted more deep passes -- balls thrown 15 or more yards downfield -- Sunday than he has in any game this season, Dalton posted some of his worst deep-passing numbers. He completed only two of those 10 throws and completed a season-low one for a first down. The play when he best beat Arizona's blitz came when he dumped off a short screen pass to Giovani Bernardjust before halftime. The running back then sprinted 41 yards to put the Bengals in goal-line territory ahead of their first touchdown of the game.

Late Sunday, the Bengals found they could best move the ball by going regularly to Bernard on underneath throws.

Dalton's four sacks behind a constantly attacked offensive line matched his season-high against Houston and Seattle.

"That's the other part of it; you just have to keep playing, identify things and get it corrected," coach Marvin Lewis said. "We lost occasionally in those situations but all in all, we protected the quarterback very well. We have to continue to be better, because we don't ever want him touched. He did a very good job of avoiding the rushing and feeling sometimes the loss of containment because of the overload [defensive formations], and then stepping around and making plays. We have to continue to do a good job on the perimeter in those situations, providing a target for him."

Andy Dalton Under Pressure

A look at how Bengals QB Andy Dalton fares when he is and is not pressured:

PRESSURED (2015) NOT PRESSURED (2015) PRESSURED (CAREER)* NOT PRESSURED (CAREER)*
*Career rankings include all QBs since 2011, the year Dalton was drafted.
Total QBR (rank) 6.9 (24th) 91.7 (1st) 4.3 (26th) 73.6 (21st)
Touchdowns (rank) 1 (T-28th) 19 (T-2nd) 12 (17th) 107 (9th)
Passer rating (rank) 57.1 (19th) 112.3 (4th) 48.2 (24th) 94.1 (18th)
Completion percentage (rank) 32.0 (29th) 70.9 (8th) 35.5 (27th) 66.4 (15th)
  • Like 1

Dennard out for season - dislocated shoulder requiring surgery within next two weeks. Hope Pacman is good to go

1 hour ago, gregcook68 said:

All hands on deck for this one.  

If this team is truly different, I don't see them losing 3 in a row.

Man that Houston result is still gnawing away at me ... that could prove vital come the end of the season

6 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

Man that Houston result is still gnawing away at me ... that could prove vital come the end of the season

Talking heads, even some of our forum talking heads, choose to blame Dalton, wilting under pressure, for the 2 losses this year.

Houston game, the offense was driving for possible game winning TD, Green fumbles on the 20.

Arizona game, drive needed to at least tie, took a shot at possible winning TD, fell short, tied game, defense couldn't hold for 60 seconds.

I think talking heads are automatically comparing QBs, especially Dalton, to Brady. Totally unfair. No QB comes close to him!

Just this year I've seen Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Cutler, both Mannings, and yes even Palmer against Pittsburgh, all wilt, at one time or another, under pressure.

What matters is, count the times they wilt, opposed to the times when they don't.

Outside of Brady, not too much difference between them.

4 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

Talking heads, even some of our forum talking heads, choose to blame Dalton, wilting under pressure, for the 2 losses this year.

Houston game, the offense was driving for possible game winning TD, Green fumbles on the 20.

Arizona game, drive needed to at least tie, took a shot at possible winning TD, fell short, tied game, defense couldn't hold for 60 seconds.

I think talking heads are automatically comparing QBs, especially Dalton, to Brady. Totally unfair. No QB comes close to him!

Just this year I've seen Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Cutler, both Mannings, and yes even Palmer against Pittsburgh, all wilt, at one time or another, under pressure.

What matters is, count the times they wilt, opposed to the times when they don't.

Outside of Brady, not too much difference between them.

Except all of those Qb's have won playoff games, if not Superbowls.

Maybe little Red Riding Hood will win a playoff game too some day, so he can join the big boys.

• Like 1

Just now, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Except all of those Qb's have won playoff games, if not Superbowls.

Maybe little Red Riding Hood will win a playoff game too some day, so he can join the big boys.

It tickles me that you get away with being labeled a fan.

It seems you disappeared during the 8-0 stretch, and only rear your ugly hatefulness, when there's an L logged!

Nobody gets anything for winning playoff games, just Super Bowls. 

BTW, forum talking head, Palmer hasn't won a playoff game, and only played in 2.

Dad Gum!!!  I did it again! Wasted precious text and forum space engaging with a talking head!

My bad!

On November 23, 2015 at 10:10:27 AM, HoosierCat said:

On to St. Louis, I guess. Time to pull out of the spin.

The more I read about St. Louis, the more unlikely it seems they'll be able to play with our Bengals.  O-line in shambles, starting QB concussed and benched.  All they seem good at is getting sacks.  Don't want to jinx it, but it looks like a lopsided win for the Bengals.

would have liked Fat Pat to be in the mix against Gurley. Hopefully Pacman good to go 

i can see a lot of quick lateral throws along the line of scrimmage and ask the receiver to do the business going forward

2 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

i can see a lot of quick lateral throws along the line of scrimmage and ask the receiver to do the business going forward

Giovanni will likely be busy today in that regard.

1 minute ago, volcom69 said:

Yea Bodine will need help a lot today 

I still struggle with which way to go with this line of thinking.

If the Oline was getting hammered by ALL defensive lines, it is definitely the Oline issue.

If they are getting beat by top defensive lines, it isn't necessarily the Oline.

Don't we expect Geno and company to put pressure on the opposite Oline every game, and when they don't, it's always, "What's wrong with Geno and Company?"

It's never, "What a great Oline the Bengals faced today!"

The offensive line has had a solid season overall.  They were never the best in the league as many were arbitrarily billing them, but they were solid.  The last few weeks (against strong defensive competition) have been crappy, but I don't think the o-line is terrible or anything.

They have to play well today though because St. Louis is built to disrupt the line of scrimmage.