Texans @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

With Luck out the Texans are now thinking they could win the division. So they will come in here playing harder then ever knowing they have a great chance at the division. Bengals just need to play there game and show them why they are 8-0. Get out to a fast start, the Texans are out scored big time in the first half of games, so come out fast and finish strong

• Like 1

Glad the board is back up again!  Layout is better on my iPhone now despite the outage.  

Bengals are looking great this season!  Good test this week against a talented Texans defense.  I'm not thinking The Men win out this season but I could see 13-3, 12-2...

Eifert has proven his pedigree.  He's made me forget all about Gresham.  Dalton has made me a believer in Tom House and Hue Jackson and in not giving up on talented young players who go through downturns.  

Marvin Lewis is now the all-time winningest Bengals coach...

Records are falling!

1 hour ago, skyline said:

I usually disapprove of memes (I'm old and grumpy).

This one is good.  It officially gets the curmudgeon stamp of approval.  

Old!?! You're only 34. You ain't seen old yet. Now grumpy can strike at any age...so here's another one for ya.

Zlist.jpg

• Like 1

Texans ready for “statement” game after the bye week

By Dale Robertson on November 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Opening the second half of the season against one of the NFL’s three undefeated teams in Cincinnati on Monday night is actually a good thing, several Texans suggested. If there’s such a thing as a “statement” game, this one qualifies.

“It’s a great opportunity for us,” left tackle Duane Brown said. “I’m sure no one’s counting on us going in there, getting the job done and getting the win, but we love the underdog feeling, the underdog role. We’re going to go out there and compete. We know what to expect from them. We have to match their intensity from the start. I have all the faith in the world in my teammates, but we have to go out and execute. It’s not about a feeling, it’s about getting it done.”

Linebacker Brian Cushing agreed that the game “comes at a good time in our season. This would a good game for turning things around. We want to play better in the second half of the season than we did in the first half.”

But cornerback Johnathan Joseph warned against getting too over-excited about the circumstances.

“(Winning) could help us a lot as a team,” Joseph said. “But when the game starts, you’ve got to block all the outside noise out. You can’t be thinking about the bright lights and the extra attention.”

Brown also said the 3-5 Texans aren’t thinking too much about the predicament their AFC rivals in Indianapolis (4-5) find themselves in, having lost quarterback Andrew Luck for at least two weeks and, more likely, much longer to a lacerated kidney and torn abdominal muscle suffered late in Sunday’s win over Denver.

“We can’t focus on what anyone else in our division is doing,” he said. “We have to win this week and continue to win to have a chance at the end of the season.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/11/texans-ready-for-statement-game-after-the-bye-week/

Texans know the importance of starting fast Monday night

By Dale Robertson on November 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Starting faster is absolutely paramount for the Texans’ offense, coordinator George Godsey said Wednesday. After all, they’ve scored just four first-half touchdowns in the first eight games. But while Godsey admitted, “We have to get it going in (fast) a hostile environment,” he insisted it’s equally important to keep it going.

“We need a complete game,” he said. “Not quarters. Not plays. (It’s about) stringing them all together and creating more scoring chances. It’s a new week and a new challenge, a big challenge. They’ve got a good defensive front and a good secondary.”

With an extra week and a day to prepare, Godsey expressed optimism that the Texans will improve on their poor starts. They have yet to score on an opening possession. He also believes getting Ryan Griffin back into the tight end rotation will provide a new wrinkle or two Monday night. Griffin suffered a strained MCL – “a significant injury,” coach Bill O’Brien said – in the season-opener and hasn’t played since.

Although O’Brien wouldn’t guarantee that Griffin will play against the Bengals, it looks promising.

“Ryan showed a lot of progress from last year to this year up through training camp, and he had some catches in the first game,” Godsey said. “We’re looking to see how he progresses each day. (If he plays), it allows for multiple groupings and we can possibly use him to spare some of the other tight ends. But he’s got to catch up to what we’ve been doing on the field and (game) playing speed.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/11/texans-know-the-importance-of-starting-fast-monday-night/

Watt embraces challenge against undefeated Bengals

By Aaron Wilson on November 11, 2015 at 3:36 PM

When the Texans travel to Paul Brown Stadium on Monday night to square off with the undefeated Cincinnati Bengals, they’ll be an underdog.

The Bengals have been installed as the favorite by as much as 12 points by oddsmakers.

“Yeah, I would probably agree,” Texans star defensive end J.J. Watt said. “There’s not a whole of people that are going to give you a chance going up against an 8-0 football team, but that’s fine. It’s our job to go out here every single day and to find a way. I like that opportunity.”

The last time the Texans played the Bengals, they lost 22-13 last season as Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton passed for 233 yards and a touchdown. He was previously winless in three games against the Texans, including twice in the playoffs.

Watt has 18 career tackles and two sacks in four career games against Cincinnati along with one interception.

“I don’t study quarterbacks like that, I just go get ’em,” Watt said. “I mean, his team is 8-0 and it’s a quarterback-driven league, so he’s obviously playing very good football. When you’re 8-0, everybody on your team is playing pretty good football.”

A native of Katy, Dalton is 1-3 all-time against the Texans.

“He’s 8-0, I’m sure he’s not too worried about a psychological edge,” Watt said. “He’s doing all right. We’re looking forward to going in there and providing a great challenge. Doing what we can do to help win the game.”

Watt is tied with Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap and New England Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones for the NFL lead with 8 1/2 sacks.

Watt says he’s recovered from a back injury that caused him to miss practice time before a win over the Tennessee Titans prior to the bye.

“I feel really good, I feel great,” Watt said. “It was definitely very important to get that time. I feel very good, so I’m ready to roll.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/11/texans-defensive-end-j-j-watt-embraces-challenge-against-undefeated-bengals/

Since my son is a Texans fan, I check in at a Houston forum called Texanstalk.

They are a good group, but have all but conceded this game to the Bengals.

With the exception of a few, they are expecting a beatdown come Monday.

I'm thinking they are right, but would hate to think the Bengals could overlook them.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Since my son is a Texans fan, I check in at a Houston forum called Texanstalk.

They are a good group, but have all but conceded this game to the Bengals.

With the exception of a few, they are expecting a beatdown come Monday.

I'm thinking they are right, but would hate to think the Bengals could overlook them.

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if they did. This is a classic trap game, sandwiched between a division opponent and a looming confrontation with another top tier team led by the WIWSSIMDAMBIRWH (word-I-won't-say-since-it-makes-dimster-all-mad-but-it-rhymes-with-hitter). ;)

But even if that's the case I'm not sure the Texans could take advantage.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if they did. This is a classic trap game, sandwiched between a division opponent and a looming confrontation with another top tier team led by the WIWSSIMDAMBIRWH (word-I-won't-say-since-it-makes-dimster-all-mad-but-it-rhymes-with-hitter). ;)

But even if that's the case I'm not sure the Texans could take advantage.

We've already had a couple of trap games this season.  And, we've played off the bye.  And, we've played on prime time.

I don't think trap games exist for this team anymore.  They've grown past that.

Now, it's always possible that they come out and are out of sync or have a bad night.  But, I'm no longer afraid of that happening because they looked past an opponent or didn't prepare properly.

• Like 1

• HoosierCat featured and unfeatured this topic