Bengals @ Bills Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Yah, saw that, too. Ouch. Manuel won't be a pushover (6-8 as a starter) but it appears the Bengals were ready for this:

Give Cincy defensive staff credit for foresight. They had hunch Tyrod Taylor might sit Sun, so they started prep for EJ Manuel yesterday.

except for the fact that a 90-year-old woman with a walker could rush for 100 yards on us.

What he said.

Our tackling is still wet tissue paper type stuff at times. Runners go through us like syphilis through a college dorm

except for the fact that a 90-year-old woman with a walker could rush for 100 yards on us.

What he said.

Our tackling is still wet tissue paper type stuff at times. Runners go through us like syphilis through a college dorm

Our rush defense is fixable. It was great in the first 2 games. Not so hot against the Chargers, but we didn't give up any big plays.

Against the Chiefs, we faced Jamaal Charles. Against the Seahawks, it was undoubtedly ugly.

But, if we can't stop Boobie Dixon and Boom Herron (who admittedly beat us up in the playoffs last year), then we have issues. I'm feeling confident.

I think the run D is partly fixable. Like I wrote in last week's game thread, I saw three things:

1.Poor tackling. This has been something of a recurring problem. They're either going too high or not wrapping up. This is correctable; in fact, it has been corrected recently (in preseason) only to reoccur again now. Guenther & Co.need to ride them about technique this week, and if some guys can't wrap up due to injury (I'm looking at you Dre) they need to sit.

2. Contain. There were at least two plays in last weekend's game when the Hawks line faked to the left while Rawls bounced it to the right and a big open field. I saw a comment in some story from MJ pinning this on himself and being too concerned with Wilson taking off. Again, fixable, and if MJ is right should be somewhat less of a concern against Buffalo.

3.Dline got its collective ass kicked. This is the one I don't know is correctable. For most of the game, and especially early on, the Seahawks oline owned our dline,lock, stock and barrel, in the run game.One thing that may help is if Guenther screams "PAD LEVEL DOWN!!!!!!" into a recorder for a few minutes then puts it on a continuous loop during practice. They seemed to get stood up and pushed back a lot. But at the end of the day the line has to win some battles in the trenches if the run D is to improve.

Feels like a trap game; two game division lead, following a big win, bye week ahead.

I'd be more worried about the game AFTER the bye week - we have oft been lacking in preparation for the game following a break

(last 10 seasons it's been a 3-6-1 record for the week coming off of a bye).

However, I'm fully focused on Buffalo this week - lets get the W under our belts first and foremost

Good news on injured guys. The bye week is much needed, and hopefully they will get there LB back after the bye.

Hopefully the bye week is not on there mind this week, any game on the road is going to be tough. Watching some of the Thursday night game, it shows no matter the records mistakes will hurt you. So take care of the ball, and find a way to run the ball please.