Arizona QB Blames Cincy Owner for All His Troubles

HoosierCat

The Quitter speaks.

In Palmer's mind, however, his most formidable foe never recorded a sack or an interception against him, and in fact was not a team but a single man: Bengals owner Mike Brown, with whom Palmer engaged in a Take This Job And Shove It staredown that provoked the quarterback's premature retirement and, eventually, abrupt departure from Cincinnati four seasons ago.

While Palmer has since reestablished himself as a top-tier quarterback for a deceptively dangerous Cardinals team, he believes the residual effects of that clash with Brown -- Palmer essentially told Brown he'd rather quit than play another down for the Bengals, and had his bluff called for nearly a year -- have contributed to an overly negative perception of his abilities among fans, analysts and even talent evaluators within the NFL community.

"I took an owner head-on, you know?" Palmer told me as the two of us stood at his University of Phoenix Stadium locker following the Cards' 47-7 thrashing of the Niners, which gave Arizona (3-0) a two-game lead in the NFC West three weeks into the season. "That's shunned in this league, and people don't like it -- and the NFL definitely doesn't like it. That's hurt me a lot, and I've been bounced around pretty good since it happened."

Hey there, genius, guess what? If you walk out in the middle of a contract and leave your employer high and dry at a vital position, it doesn't matter what profession you're in. You're going to have a very hard time convincing anyone else to trust you.

So I wouldn't look at Mikey as your "most formidable foe." After all, he isn't the one who left, nor did he push you out. On the contrary, he bent over backwards to keep your pick-six-throwing posterior. I'd say the guy who caused all your problems can be found in the mirror.

I'm neutral on this.

I agree that Palmer comes off as very whiny here. His own actions put him in this scenario.

On the other hand, I also understand someone getting fed up with the Bengals. The locker room was a circus at the time. Had fought back from injury, and the disappointment of going from one of the best teams in the league to one of the worst had to be tough. And, with Brown's track record of giving guys 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances, Palmer probably never would have imagined the transformation the team was about to undergo. And, ironically, the transition may NOT have happened without the gift of all those draft picks we got for Palmer.

Anyway...I understand his frustration and why he did what he did. But, it doesn't change the fact that he quit. Frustration got the better of him. That's something you've got to live with. Instead of whining about it, just shut up and play.

• Like 1

"I took an owner head-on, you know?"

That is an incredibly self-serving interpretation of what happened. How, exactly, did he "take on" an owner? He just retired. That's all he did. People can say he violated his contract. But there is no involuntary servitude in this country, so no one can force him to honor his personal services contract.

He quit working, but he still had value so Mike leveraged the situation to the best advantage he could for the Bengals. I still root for Palmer, I still like him.

What happened was good for the Bengals and good for Palmer. I'm a little surprised to hear he has an opinion that he has been somehow blackballed or something by owners. He hasn't seemed to have a hard time finding starting jobs in the NFL. If he didn't want to play for Oakland he should have just refused the offer. Scratching my head a little over his comment.

Problem with

He just retired. That's all he did. People can say he violated his contract. But there is no involuntary servitude in this country, so no one can force him to honor his personal services contract.

is that his contract was partially pre-paid, ala signing bonus and other guarentees

said another way, his signing his last contract was saying 'I will play for the Bengals for the following period of time for the following compensation, some of which is to be paid in advance"

If folks want to quit - and he was certainly 100% the quitter here - thats fine from a purely legal point of view. But return the prorated part of what you were prepaid for the period of time the contract covers

He didn't

This aside from and in addition to the fact that he let down his teammates

This aside from the fact that he was a extremely well compensated professional and should have handled this like a professional, which he didn't. Trust me, if you hired me and paid me that kind of coin, you could have me scrub toilets with a toothbrush while yelling at me continuously 8 hours a day 5 days a week with nary a complaint from me.

He is and always will be the "The Quitter"

I'm a little surprised to hear he has an opinion that he has been somehow blackballed or something by owners. He hasn't seemed to have a hard time finding starting jobs in the NFL. If he didn't want to play for Oakland he should have just refused the offer. Scratching my head a little over his comment.

Yeah, that's a good point. He's been continuously employed (and at TJ's scrub-toilets-and-scream-at-me money) since the day he was traded to Oakland. Maybe he just hasn't gotten as many invites to dinner with the owner as other QBs get...

is that his contract was partially pre-paid, ala signing bonus and other guarentees

said another way, his signing his last contract was saying 'I will play for the Bengals for the following period of time for the following compensation, some of which is to be paid in advance"

I forgot about that.

you could have me scrub toilets with a toolbrush while yelling at me continuously 8 hours a day 5 days a week with nary a complaint from me.

Yes, Carson's marriage was a factor in his leaving Cincinnati, let's not dwell on that, though.

Oh, Palmer just shut up about it already. You messed up and left a team you thought was going no where and you have yet to play in a play-off game. Mean while your replacement has been there every year.

We still don't feel sorry for you after quitting on the team we root for.