Chiefs @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

We'll have more room to run, hopefully. Our MIA power back could have a big game (and hopefully hang onto the ball and get himself out of the doghouse, which is where he obviously currently resides).

After watching the game last night that's my hope as well. Re the doghouse, not sure it's so much that as how ineffective he was Sunday in early tries. Gio was a noticeable improvement, though he struggled too. Reports say Hill looked tentative out there (I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, probably tonight) and the SD fumbles might still be in his head.

I think it was Gio's added threat as a pass-catcher that made the most sense for him being out there so much. The run was shot down, so the added dimension that Gio brings is nice.

Marvin also said that Gio's their guy when playing from behind.

We'll have more room to run, hopefully. Our MIA power back could have a big game (and hopefully hang onto the ball and get himself out of the doghouse, which is where he obviously currently resides).

After watching the game last night that's my hope as well. Re the doghouse, not sure it's so much that as how ineffective he was Sunday in early tries. Gio was a noticeable improvement, though he struggled too. Reports say Hill looked tentative out there (I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, probably tonight) and the SD fumbles might still be in his head.

I think it was Gio's added threat as a pass-catcher that made the most sense for him being out there so much. The run was shot down, so the added dimension that Gio brings is nice.

Marvin also said that Gio's their guy when playing from behind.

After having a chance to watch the game last night, I can't say I saw anything especially tentative or unsure about Hill. What it looked like mostly to me was that the Ravens's strategy was stop the run and force Dalton to beat them. That didn't work this time. I agree that as the game wore on having Gio out there for his pass catching abilities (and pass protection) was probably the right call. Hill's bread and butter is up the middle and the Ravens were allowing none of that.

The other thing, and Goodberry mentioned this on a 1530 interview he did that floated down my twitter stream last night, is that so far this year they are running more out of spread formations,which means Hewitt isn't in plowing the road for Hill as much.

Jamal Charles. See stopping him.

Don't let him dictate things, shut him down, and put it on Alex Smith and that WR corps.

Bengals win.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. KC has three weapons on offense, Maclin, Kelce and Charles, and of those three Charles is by far the most important to contain.

Oh, and a note for the offense: after watching the game last night, did you see that stupid play is where the o-line lines up, then does this do-si-do shift with one guy from the right side running to the left and three guys from the left including the LT (once it was Fisher and the second time it was Whit) running to line up as receivers in a trips formation on the right side...and then they hand the ball off for a no-gain run up the middle (twice)?

Please tear that page out of the playbook and burn it.

Green got the AFC Offensive Player of the Week Award. Well deserved.

Jamal Charles. See stopping him.

Don't let him dictate things, shut him down, and put it on Alex Smith and that WR corps.

Bengals win.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. KC has three weapons on offense, Maclin, Kelce and Charles, and of those three Charles is by far the most important to contain.

The Bengals historically seem to struggle when they go against a RB that is capable of catching out of the backfield.

I don't know what it is, but I still say if they smother Charles throughout the game, their odds of winning goes up drastically.

This is yet another game the Bengals should win and I think they do that in the jungle.

The Bengals historically seem to struggle when they go against a RB that is capable of catching out of the backfield.

Yup. If you dig down into football outsiders' numbers they have a breakdown of how pass defenses rank versus WRs, TEs and RBs. in 2013 and 2014 the Bengals were in the top 10 defending passes thrown to WRs and TEs, but 23rd and 29th respectively defending passes to RBs. I still have nightmares about the Indy playoff game in which it seemed like Half of Luck's passes we're checkdowns to a wide open Boom Herron sitting in the middle of the field.

The encouraging news is that so far in 2015 the Bengals rank 17th defending passes to RBs. But the sample size is so small I doubt that means much. Bottom line, you're right, let Charles loose and he'll kill them. Contain him and they win.

Oh, and a note for the offense: after watching the game last night, did you see that stupid play is where the o-line lines up, then does this do-si-do shift with one guy from the right side running to the left and three guys from the left including the LT (once it was Fisher and the second time it was Whit) running to line up as receivers in a trips formation on the right side

Memory may be fading but wasn't it the Cowboys who used to line up and then the whole line take a step to the side .... could never really fathom why or reconcile if it ever made a difference or not. I can't recall any other team ever having done this so couldn't have been a very productive thing to do

They showed a stat during the game about where Rodgers passes went and at the point in the game (during first half) I don't think he threw a pass 5 yards.

It was almost all dink and dunk with good results.

I think the Bengals could do the same thing with both Hill and Gio out of the backfield, while opening things up for the passing game.

I could see Eifert having a huge game Sunday !!!

On a little side note here, big AFC North game tonight, Ravens vs Steelers. I'd like to see both teams beat the crap outta each other with the Ravens getting off the snide and beating the Steelers and their dog killing QB!

That being said, WHO DEY! :bengal:

Meteor, massive sinkhole, biblical plague, whatever works.

I always root for the Ravens in this game. Hatred for the Steelers is a real thing. It's pretty much natural, unavoidable if you live in central Ohio and have to endure their front running, bandwagon jumping, "fans." I hate them all.

This game showing up is like having Christmas twice a year. It's about as physical a game as you'll ever see anymore in the NFL. And as a Bengal fan, watching the stretcher come out for another starter every other quarter is, well, delicious. Doesn't matter which team, just means one of our cheating, chest-thumping, inbred opponents is diminished.

The only thing that could improve watching these retards smash each other to smithereens tonight is if Tomlin creeps out onto the field again during play and one of the Ravens performs a public service and caves his skull in.

Just saw an ad for Golden Corral. The "You Might Be A Redneck" guy was on it, staying true to his career arc, and he said you basically go there and for ten bucks or something you can stuff your face with all their crappy, warmed over, fried food.

The amazing thing - You Might Be A Redneck said if you pay an extra $1.99 they give you a "home box" that you can fill up with all their crap and take back to your roach-infested trailer or your cardboard box under the overpass or wherever Golden Corral's customers live.

I bring this up because Steeler fans.