Bengals @ Ravens Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

It's not even so much about this going to their heads. It's about Marvin recognizing and admitting that sometimes there are games where the "steady as she goes" approach isn't the right one. It requires Marvin to admit that sometimes emotion matters, and to identify that Baltimore will be playing with an emotion and focus not usually found in a week 3 NFL game. The Ravens will need this one, desperately. If they lose this they are likely going to be 0-4 (road game at Steelers four days later is a nasty assignment). Marvin has to get his team ready for the emotion of the moment, something that he has historically been really bad at.

PS - the last "wounded dog" opponent we faced on road in a big spot was at New England last year after they had been humiliated in Kansas City the previous Monday night. Marvin really REALLY didn't have his team ready for that one.

Agreed. I think the Bengals have at times struggled to manage themselves well in high-emotion games (which is relevant especially to prime time and playoff games), and my suspicion has long been that those games are downplayed when anyone suggests they're especially important. I'm never inside the locker room so I can't know, but regardless I hope the Bengals fully understand the psyche of their opponent and try to play into it instead of around it.

I just read PFF had Bodine rated the number 1 center this week......wow shoot me now I can't believe what I read

what the....

oh lord

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/the-best-players-at-every-position-for-week-2/

thats nothing. look at your link and mine. IF you are smart enough to figure out, you will notice something like i did

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/sd-cin-bengals-offensive-line-posts-shutout-in-win/

Whitworth with 3.6 and Boling with 4.4. that put Whitworth .1 below Thomas and Boling .2 below Zeitler. I am sure that pretty much put all 5 Bengals OL as top 3 of their Position in NFL for this week.

As always, if Dalton avoids turnovers/stupid mistakes, they win. The Ravens are terrible.

Well, you could say that about any QB in the league, not just Dalton. And on that front I was actually encouraged by what I saw yesterday, because Hill made two of those kind of potentially game-killing errors and they rallied both times. So I'm not too worried about any Dalton miscues -- and there will be miscues. Every QB makes bad decisions and throws picks, and Andy's no different.

I chalk his good performance in the first two games up to two things. One, they've played two teams with unimpressive defenses and the o-line has been able to keep him mostly clean and open holes for the RBs so that the O is balanced. Two, it looks like the coaches have reverted to the "let Andy be Andy" strategy we saw in his first couple seasons, versus the "make Andy try to be Big Ben" strategy of last season. They are letting him manage the game, take the occasional shot downfield, and throwing it away if the play isn't there.

(And yeah, it also helps that he's got a bunch of real weapons to throw too, versus having to try to win with guys like Tate and Gresham.)

The Ravens' defense is not what it once was, not but a long shot, and the loss of Suggs robbed them of their biggest playmaker. So I have hopes that the offense can continue its good streak. Defensively I am confident in the line and the secondary, but the LBs are a big weak spot for Flacco & Co.to exploit.

Yes, it can be said about any QB in the league. Look at Luck last night. 3 INT's and a fumble.

Good God that's ugly.

I just read PFF had Bodine rated the number 1 center this week......wow shoot me now I can't believe what I read

what the....

oh lord

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/the-best-players-at-every-position-for-week-2/

thats nothing. look at your link and mine. IF you are smart enough to figure out, you will notice something like i did

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/sd-cin-bengals-offensive-line-posts-shutout-in-win/

Whitworth with 3.6 and Boling with 4.4. that put Whitworth .1 below Thomas and Boling .2 below Zeitler. I am sure that pretty much put all 5 Bengals OL as top 3 of their Position in NFL for this week.

I doubt that I am smart enough.

Early line has the Ravens favored by 1.5 points...basically a wash.

I'm on board with that. I think the Bengals are the better team, but it's on the road and the Ravens are desperate.

I don't get that line. The Bengals are power ranked at #4. The Ravens at #16 with a team in tatters. I stand by my call of the Bengals by 7.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-power-rankings--how-did-the-chicago-bears-sink-to-the-bottom-232538701.html

Early line has the Ravens favored by 1.5 points...basically a wash.

I'm on board with that. I think the Bengals are the better team, but it's on the road and the Ravens are desperate.

I don't get that line. The Bengals are power ranked at #4. The Ravens at #16 with a team in tatters. I stand by my call of the Bengals by 7.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-power-rankings--how-did-the-chicago-bears-sink-to-the-bottom-232538701.html

And week 2 power rankings have to do with reality, how?

As a Bengals fan, I agree that they're the better team and are capable of making this lopsided. But, our perception of the Bengals doesn't always equal reality.

The real issue is that we have no idea what Ravens team is going to show up. 2 weeks isn't enough data to know for sure what they're going to be like this season. Maybe those losses are a pretty accurate reflection of the team. Maybe it's just a slow start. Maybe Dalton is due for a Bad Andy appearance. Maybe the Ravens are going to be fired up and come out like the Patriots did against us last season.

Too many variables, so it gets written up as a coin toss.

Who would have expected this after week 2

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck

Rate

5 Joe Flacco BAL QB 50 77 64.9 38.5 501 6.5 250.5 2 3 21 27.3 38 9 0 2 75.7

7 Andy Dalton CIN QB 41 60 68.3 30.0 483 8.1 241.5 5 0 21 35.0 45T 7 1 0 120.3

I know I certainly didn't so keep it going Andy!!!

didn't paste very well but that's TD's Int's and QB rateing

It's basically a game of "what if" and I certainly acknowledge playing into situation.

However, an undisputable fact is that the Ravens team that is going to show up is going to be minus Terrell Suggs.

I think that is a loss that changes the face of their defense all the way around and I don't think they can make up for that loss.

I think their defense won't be able to keep up with our healthy, target rich, offense. Period.

They may put points on the board, but I'm doubting a repeat from their last week of almost 500 yards of offense happens against our defense.

Without that, they are going to have a hard time.

I could be wrong. The Ravens may beat the hell out of us. I just don't think so.

If they do, I'll come back and say I was wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I have not seen yet anything out of the Ravens to show me that they are a better team than last year -- and last year they got fat beating up bad to mediocre teams while losing to most of the quality opponents they came in contact with.

That said, it's a division game so throw out the records. I think the Bengals get a W but I don't expect it will be easy.

What I want to see is how they handle success. They were 3-0 last year and the year turned out the same as any other year. Now last year they had a ton of injuries, so maybe if they stay healthy things will be different.

When the media and others praise them, I want to see if it goes to there head and they don't play as hard, or if it's changed and they keep fighting for there wins.

I still think this team is as talented as any in the league, I just want to see how all of this pans out hopefully it's different.

What I want to see is how they handle success. They were 3-0 last year and the year turned out the same as any other year. Now last year they had a ton of injuries, so maybe if they stay healthy things will be different.

On the handling success front I was encouraged by the SD win. They didn't let a laffer in Oakland swell their heads.

As for this year versus last year, I see a lot of those comparisons on Twitter (goodberry and our old pal Derek were among the pooh-pooh parade today on that subject). But it's apples and oranges because of those injuries. This time last year Marvin Jones and Eifert were already gone, AJ had just hurt his toe, Geno was clearly a shadow of himself and MJ was in Tampa. And on top of that Hill was stuck on the bench behind a poorly used Gio. Last year's 3-0 involved a lot of smoke and mirrors. This year's 2-0 feels a lot more substantial.

I agree Hoosier, I was reading the same stuff on Twitter which made me want to bring it up here. I'm excited to watch this team grow this year, and with any luck guys will stay healthy and guys like Burfict will come back better then ever. Oh and playing PJ Dawson would be just awesome in my eyes lol.

On the handling success front I was encouraged by the SD win. They didn't let a laffer in Oakland swell their heads.

As for this year versus last year, I see a lot of those comparisons on Twitter (goodberry and our old pal Derek were among the pooh-pooh parade today on that subject). But it's apples and oranges because of those injuries. This time last year Marvin Jones and Eifert were already gone, AJ had just hurt his toe, Geno was clearly a shadow of himself and MJ was in Tampa. And on top of that Hill was stuck on the bench behind a poorly used Gio. Last year's 3-0 involved a lot of smoke and mirrors. This year's 2-0 feels a lot more substantial.

Yes. Absolutely.