Chargers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

Fresh off their victory over East Bay State in Oakland, the Bengals will be asked to play a real NFL team this week when the San Diego Chargers come to town. Who-Dey!

Sand Diego is coming off a win against Detroit in which they rallied from an 18-point deficit:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/13/lions-chargers-nfl-week-1/

Looks like the may have lost RG DJ Fluker for a few games though:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/13/fluker-chargers-lions-fluker-injured/

I'm hoping they really stay focused from what they did to the Raiders and take that same approach with the Chargers.

The crowd will be loud and I would like to see them hand the Chargers ass to them.

The Chargers beat the teams they should have last year, but had nothing for the teams that were better than them.

They missed the playoffs after finishing 9-7 in 2014.

The Bengals are a better team, but need to make sure they don't make stupid mistakes (turnovers and penalties) against a Chargers team that does have talent and will take advantage of mistakes made. That being said, I still think the Bengals win their home opener next week !!!

Not suspension-worthy? I guess. Biggest concern was causing a concussion, and players are not suspended for illegal hits resulting in a concussion. But, those are football plays. This was not.

I remember Haynesworth being suspended for stepping on a player while they were on the ground. I'd put this at the same level.

Anyway, as for the Chargers, our pass rush will be key. We've got to keep their offense off-balance. If we can accomplish that, then I feel good about this game. I fully expect the Chargers to come out in short-quick pass mode.

Not to defend Jones (because that crap was ridiculous), but if you have a chance to look at the full replay, you can see Cooper clock Jones in the face as they are running down the field. He still should have kept his cool though.

Didn't see that but it does explain things a bit. But yeah, you have to maintain composure. Both the Bengals and Raiders were too chippy yesterday. Hopefully Marvin can get them settled down a bit for the Chargers game.

Thinking on the flip side of things for a moment and I wanted to share something that crossed my mind with the physicality of the game.

I recall being said they wanted to see the Bengals "Be the bully". That was about as close to that as I've seen from this team.

Won't really complain about it all that much either. Just can't have it costing them 15 yard penalties in the process.

Thinking on the flip side of things for a moment and I wanted to share something that crossed my mind with the physicality of the game.

I recall being said they wanted to see the Bengals "Be the bully". That was about as close to that as I've seen from this team.

Won't really complain about it all that much either. Just can't have it costing them 15 yard penalties in the process.

You just have to be smart about it. The Iloka penalty is the perfect example. He makes a great play, delivers a perfectly legal big hit...and then gets a flag for standing over the guy celebrating. What's the old PB saying, act like you've been there before?

You just have to be smart about it. The Iloka penalty is the perfect example. He makes a great play, delivers a perfectly legal big hit...and then gets a flag for standing over the guy celebrating. What's the old PB saying, act like you've been there before?

Yep, I think if you want to make the other guy feel defeated, simply walking away like you don't have the time of day for them is the more effective route.

The Bengals have been on the recieving end of things like this for years (see Ward, Hines), so on the one hand, it's nice to see them standing up for themselves and not getting pushed around. But as Hoosier said, you have to be smart about it and know when and how to push back.

Gonna get a rep as borderline dirty defense at this point.

You know what? I am perfectly fine with that. Ravens and Steelers defenses traded in that kind of rep for years. Made them even harder to play. Being known as a team that will stick you hard and back it up if stepped to is really not a bad thing.

Gonna get a rep as borderline dirty defense at this point.

You know what? I am perfectly fine with that. Ravens and Steelers defenses traded in that kind of rep for years. Made them even harder to play. Being known as a team that will stick you hard and back it up if stepped to is really not a bad thing.

Imagine how much of a boost Burfict would give in this department. :P

Yep, I think if you want to make the other guy feel defeated, simply walking away like you don't have the time of day for them is the more effective route.

That's what I was referring to in not having it cost them 15 yards a pop. You can't have that happening.

However, I'm perfectly content with them being a defense that smacks you in the f*cking mouth and dares you to come back to them.

Honestly that's the type of defense they should be when considering the talent they possess.

Burfict coming back would push things further in that regard for sure. Countdown at 5 weeks now.

Chargers fans seem pretty cocky...

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=103793

reading that it seems that they cannot spell on the west coast and they seriously over estimate their team lol

I got the same impression. I certainly don't think the Bengals have this game locked, but I think we have a good chance of winning what will likely be a close game. Those guys are expecting a double digit win...

I've also been lurking around Chargers boards and their confidence in this matchup is pretty astounding. I can understand why they'd think the Bengals are beatable, but many of them seem to think Cincinnati is home to the Jaguars or the Browns. The Chargers trailed the Lions by 18 points at home before rallying, it wasn't as though they destroyed someone or made any statement.

That said, this will be an immense test for the Bengals especially on defense. Rivers loves playing against the Bengals historically speaking.

Rivers usually gets his yards but his Chargers are 3-3 vs Cincy. The Dalton era Bengals are 2-1 counting the playoff loss. Bengals have won with defense. Offense has been impotent vs. SD. If history holds expect a sloppy game with TOs on both sides. Hopefully the Bengals can break the bad offense habit this time.