Bengals @ Bucs Preseason Game 2

HoosierCat

It's hard to judge anything beyond individual performances in preseason. Last week the Bengals made the Giants look like this week's Bengals; this week the Bengals looked like last week's Giants. Go figure.

Bodine looks like he's regressed, if that's possible, from last season.

Eric Winston is a waste of space. Moobs can't get healthy soon enough.

Geno is back.

Will Clarke is improved.

They need to find a spot for Chris Carter. Ditto DeShawn Williams.

Dawson is the only LB who doesn't suck.

Kirkpatrick has some highs and lows but overall looks like the guy we hoped we got in the first round.

Peko is easily the biggest waste on money and cap space on this team.

Finally got to see the game on DVR early this morning. Ugh. The O-line looked bad. Dalton has to recognize what's coming and get his passes down. Hit 'em in the numbers! Defense tackled poorly. Let's hope we see an improvement next week. BTW, when do we get to see Burfict again?

Yes Dawson is the only LB that is any good, who will be sitting on the bench all season because Marvin and company are afraid to play young talent! Without Burfict this LB core sucks, Burfict and Dawson would be awesome.

Bodine sucks he did last year, but can't fool Paul Alexander he thinks he's the best, hell I think Hue doesn't even like him. Find a center who can play please.

Bodine sucks he did last year, but can't fool Paul Alexander he thinks he's the best, hell I think Hue doesn't even like him. Find a center who can play please.

Don't worry, Hue fixed Bodine by having Andy become Not Andy and act all pissed off and yell at Bodine whenever he blew a snap. Hue Jackson needs to coach, not act like some deficiency in Andy's leadership is causing Bodine to blow snaps over his head. Plenty of stuff is Andy's fault and he can hopefully fix those things. Bodine's play does not fall in that category.

Okay. Bodine could be upgraded...I get it.

But sheesh, people. Our o-line will be fine as long as we manage to stay healthy. They were actually pretty good last year. The running game was solid and Dalton was in the lower half of the league in terms of sacks. Bodine isn't going to make or break anything this year.

Finally got to see the game on DVR early this morning. Ugh. The O-line looked bad. Dalton has to recognize what's coming and get his passes down. Hit 'em in the numbers! Defense tackled poorly. Let's hope we see an improvement next week. BTW, when do we get to see Burfict again?

Good question. Conventional wisdom is he starts the season on PUP so maybe late October. But I have strong doubts he'll ever be anything like he was after last year, when he had multiple concussions and then he knee responded poorly to surgery. I'd love to be wrong.

Okay. Bodine could be upgraded...I get it.

But sheesh, people. Our o-line will be fine as long as we manage to stay healthy. They were actually pretty good last year. The running game was solid and Dalton was in the lower half of the league in terms of sacks. Bodine isn't going to make or break anything this year.

Eh, as a run-blocking unit it's a pretty good line. But I've been saying for a while that it's over-rated in pass protection. It's lofty ranking is propped up by an offensive system that relies on pre-snap reads and getting the ball out in just a couple seconds. They aren't asked to give the QB time to go through progressions because the system doesn't use progressions. When asked to give the QB time they often break down.

Of the group, Whit is probably the best pass protector, though he can be beat by speed guys. Moobs is very underrated in pass pro, but lacks consistency. Zeitler is a run-blocker first and foremost and Boling is just a guy either way. Bodine can I think become a capable guy in the run game but his pass pro is lacking. He got a lot of help from Boling last year and I suspect that will happen again.

It's hard to judge anything beyond individual performances in preseason. Last week the Bengals made the Giants look like this week's Bengals; this week the Bengals looked like last week's Giants. Go figure.

Bodine looks like he's regressed, if that's possible, from last season.

Eric Winston is a waste of space. Moobs can't get healthy soon enough.

Geno is back.

Will Clarke is improved.

They need to find a spot for Chris Carter. Ditto DeShawn Williams.

Dawson is the only LB who doesn't suck.

Kirkpatrick has some highs and lows but overall looks like the guy we hoped we got in the first round.

Peko is easily the biggest waste on money and cap space on this team.

I agree with al of this except the last line

Hall is the biggest waste of money and cap space on this team.

Reading my Twitter timeline tonight it seems Lapham (who is usually tuned in on these things) says don't expect Burfict before week 6, so it sounds like PUP is a lock.

This is awful, I'm really not impressed with the LBs, I'm still hoping Dawson continues to improve, and maybe Marvin will play him.

I hate this news

I am becoming a big fan of Chris Carter (the linebacker not the WR from Middletown who doesn't claim he is from Middletown) and will be very interested in the roster cuts....IMHO if it is between Hunt and Carter, Carter appears to be the better player.

My guess is that like Moch they won't be able to figure out what to do with him. So he'll be waived with the hopes of getting him to the PS. He'll either get plucked off waivers or signed off the PS by some other team.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical.

So, remember that guy we used to have playing right tackle? Big dude, man-boobs, all that? Hasn't been seen the first two games. Want to know why?

Another FOOT injury.

Seriously. Again.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/26/9210465/andre-smith-injury-update-bengals-andre-smith-has-nagging-foot-injury

I guess it's a good thing the Bengals took back-to-back OTs in the first two rounds. Oh, wait, neither of them can play due to injury, either...

Just looked at the quarterback numbers from Monday night's debacle. Dalton looked horrible and the numbers reflect that. I'm confident the o-line issues will be cleaned up, but I'm not confident Andy can handle the pressure he's going to face from defenses this season.

Comp/Att %Completion Total passing yards Avg yds per attempt Quarterback Rating TDS/Ints

Dalton 6/13 46.2 46 3.5 15.7 0/2

McCarron 11/15 73.3 97 6.5 90.1 0/0

I'd have to go back and dig up the PFF #'s from last season, but IIRC Dalton actually did very well under pressure; it was when he wasn't pressured that this performance went down.

PFF as in Pro Football Focus? I looked it up. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/20/qbs-in-focus-under-pressure/

If I had to distill PFF's analysis of Dalton under pressure into a sentence, it would be, "Dalton sucks under pressure."

First, they ranked QB's as to how much pressure they receive. Dalton gets the second least amount of pressure in the league, due to our coaches knowing what a basket case he is under pressure, and designing quick release pass plays to compensate for this weakness. See chart below. (off topic, but RGIII hangs on to the ball a little too long. Wonder how Jay is enjoying his new job!)

Who Faced the Most Pressure?

QB-pressure-pct.png

Ok, so we see that Dalton is second least pressured QB in league, Whit does a good job too, don't want to just credit the coaches.

Next, PFF rated how the quarterbacks performed on the plays they were pressured, important to note this is a ranking of only the plays the QBs faced rush pressure. How did Dalton do? He sucked, which anyone who watches him execute his modified stationary panic response to pressure knows. He was 31st in the league. See PFF's chart below.

Best/Worst Under Pressure

QB-pressure-grade.png

Ok, bad news above. But we can console ourselves with the knowledge that our coaches have designed an offense that plays to Andy's strengths, correct? Surely he MUST be good when not pressured, correct? Well, annoyingly, PFF decided to go ahead and rate the performance of the quarterbacks on plays they were not pressured. Andy still sucked, he came in 27th. See chart below.

Best/Worst with No Pressure

QB-no-pressure-grade1.png

The bad thing for Andy is when people look at his actual performance and compare it to that of his peers. Objective analysis is not his friend. The good thing for Andy is when his coaches say stuff like, "Andy's our guy, we're going with Andy," and, "Here's one hundred million dollars, Andy, please get better."

It amazes me though for how bad Andy might be he holds a lot of records, some good, some bad, for his first couple years. He needs to improve, mostly in the turnover department. I'm hoping this year, he can start to escape pressure better as well. If the line holds up and protects him, I have seen him make great throws, but under pressure and when the team falls into a slump he sucks!

Does it really matter how much shit is dug up and thrown around about Dalton? Stats show he's great at this, stats show he's crap at that ..... bottom line is he IS the starting QB and that's that, whether anyone likes it or loathes it, that's what it is.