General Training Camp Thread

HoosierCat

The view from NY:

http://nypost.com/2015/08/12/giants-top-pick-ereck-flowers-excels-in-joint-practice/

This caught my eye:

Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo loves exotic blitzes and he sent defensive backs Bennett Jackson and Trevin Wade on rushes that looked as if they would have hit home in a real game.

That jibes with reports yesterday that Dalton would have been sacked several time in a real game. The Bengals o-line always seems to have issues adjusting to blitzes and stunts early in the season.

The view from NY:

http://nypost.com/2015/08/12/giants-top-pick-ereck-flowers-excels-in-joint-practice/

This caught my eye:

Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo loves exotic blitzes and he sent defensive backs Bennett Jackson and Trevin Wade on rushes that looked as if they would have hit home in a real game.

That jibes with reports yesterday that Dalton would have been sacked several time in a real game. The Bengals o-line always seems to have issues adjusting to blitzes and stunts early in the season.

Right or wrong, Dalton's reputation is that he can't handle blitzes well. So we see them in disproportionate amounts, especially in big games. That's actually useful knowledge. Our offensive coordinator knows what to expect, and we should be able to scheme around it. Seeing blitzes in these practices is the best thing for our offense.

Ha ha! Brandon Tate is finding new life on special teams as a gunner. Word is he looked great in the scrimmages with New York. I don't have the deep disdain for Brandon that some hold, I'm more bemused by his supernatural staying power. This will be his 6th year on our roster! Rasputin may be dead, but his spirit left his body and reformed on earth as Brandon Tate's NFL career.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/13/9147751/brandon-tate-adding-value-on-special-teams

"Wednesday, during a joint practice with the Giants, Tate put on a clinic during a drill that pitted one team's gunners against punt-return blockers from the other team,"

Right or wrong, Dalton's reputation is that he can't handle blitzes well. So we see them in disproportionate amounts, especially in big games. That's actually useful knowledge. Our offensive coordinator knows what to expect, and we should be able to scheme around it. Seeing blitzes in these practices is the best thing for our offense.

It can't hurt. Checked the NY papers again..

http://nypost.com/2015/08/13/giants-see-victor-cruz-clear-key-hurdle-on-road-to-recovery/

Caught my eye

If he stays healthy, defensive end Robert Ayers is going to put up some sack and pressure numbers. He was in the Bengals’ backfield often these past two days.

I wonder how much of this is lack of experience at TE. I know I sound like a broken record but Eifert isn't a blocking TE and Gresham has been replaced by a rookie. In the end it may be nothing but it's sure something to watch in the preseason.

Bengals back at it. McCarron dressed but not seeing much action in drills, JJ getting his snaps in the early part of practice.

Moobs still out. Fisher started the day in pads but ended up on the rehab field.

Dennard out. Kirkpatrick playing with a hand or wrist brace. Apparently not a new thing but Harvey only deigned to mention it today.

Peerman and Burkhead both dressed.

And Bodine chokes another snap...Andy yelling at him, again.

Meanwhile, Eifert having another big day. Either is either the super-awesome TE we have always wanted...or our D still can't cover the TE to save their lives.

Give you one guess which way I'm betting...

McCarron sure gets lots of ink and mindshare for doing not much of anything since leaving Bama. Snore.

Also, snore on the slow grinding nature of the pre-season. Texans on Hard Knocks, snore.

Goodell and Brady legal coverage, mega-snore.

boring as fuck.,