Extension Watch UPDATE Green Extended

HoosierCat

AJ Green may want out of Cincinnati. He says all the right stuff, but then he's just a little too happy with the status quo and talks like he doesn't care when the deal gets done. Meanwhile Dez is saying lets get a new deal in place or I'm not coming to camp.

He's never said he's unhappy here, but his body language after some of the particularly errant throws Andy heaves out there makes me wonder.

If he turns down 45 million guaranteed on a 5 year deal, I'll be suspicious of his long term goals.

I'm not worried about Green. And while a part of me wants a long-term deal, another looks at his history of injury issues and wonders if it's not best to play the next couple seasons by ear. Anyhow, details of Bryant's deal are here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/18/the-full-dez-bryant-deal/

Basically it's a two-year $32 million deal. In year three cutting him would net the Cowboys $1 million in cap space and the savings go up from there as his $20 million signing bonus works its way off the books.

@pauldehnerjr: A.J. Green changed his tone dramatically from previous contract talk yesterday at his HS in SC. Far more optimistic. http://t.co/x9Nh77ngEw

@pauldehnerjr: A.J. Green to ABC4 in Charleston, SC: "My time is coming … I want to stay there and I think they are going to get something done."

@pauldehnerjr: Certainly have to feel that attitude is a result of the Thomas, Bryant deals setting the market at WR. Both sides want to get this done.

• 3 weeks later...

TY Hilton gets paid.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/08/13/ty-hilton-indianapolis-colts-contract-extension/31610939/

An NFL source said Hilton has agreed to a five-year extension at a whopping $65 million total, with $39 million in guarantees. Hilton had one year remaining on his current deal, and this deal adds another five seasons. That keeps Hilton under contract with the Colts through 2020.

I'm starting to think AJ is franchised next year, and then they let him walk.

Don't forget the cap ceiling will probably rise too, forcing teams to spend more.

As of now the Cap is $143.28M and (according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals/) the Bengals are at $153,024,531 and that's allowing $10.1M for AJ's salary.

There's options to re-structure deals or even cut the fat from the roster:-

Hall ($1.8M dead money but cap saving of $7.8M)

Moobs ($1.0M dead money but cap saving of $5,362,500)

Nelson is 32 years old in a few weeks time ($625,000 dead money but a cap saving of $4.15M)

Peko is 31 years old in a few months time ($0 in dead money but a cap saving of $3.7M)

Lamur ($0 in dead money but a cap saving of $2,356,000)

Gilberry is 31 years old in a few months time ($200,000 in dead money but a cap saving of $1.85M)

plus a whole heap of wannabe's who haven't cut the mustard as yet who could save 1/2M here and 1/2M there.

I think if both sides want to get a deal done they will. The Bengals have an option of laying the franchise tag on Green next season so at the moment they're holding the aces I guess and can afford (literally) to see how the Cap/Market falls to them

Up until that last quote, I always thought Green would let himself get franchised, then sign somewhere else. But that last quote, "I want to stay there," makes me think he does really want to play here. He just doesn't seem enthusiastic on the field.

Scottish, it's not really about the overall money...I don't think the Bengals will have any problem with that.

It's really more the guaranteed money that worries me. These receivers are getting close to $40M guaranteed, which is not something the Bengals like to do. Their highest paid players haven't gotten anywhere near that from what I recall.

Who knows...maybe the break the trend.

Spotrac projects what it will take to sign Iloka (hint: lots).

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/extension-projection-george-iloka-542/

Their projection: 4 years, $28.5 million, $11 million guaranteed.

For comparison, Reggie Nelson got 4 years, $18 million and $5 million guaranteed from the team in 2012. Reggie will also be a FA next year.

Spotrac projects what it will take to sign Iloka (hint: lots).

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/extension-projection-george-iloka-542/

Their projection: 4 years, $28.5 million, $11 million guaranteed.

For comparison, Reggie Nelson got 4 years, $18 million and $5 million guaranteed from the team in 2012. Reggie will also be a FA next year.

I'm guessing it'll be like the Hall/JJoe thing. They pick the one they like better and go after them.

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson, Marvin Jones and AJ Green are the only ones i'm worried about, maybe Whit, as i'm not confident those two first draft picks are going to be ready any time soon with Alexander running the show.

And the only reason I worry about keeping Nelson is that there's no one else to replace him that's worth a darn in the Safety group, unless Smith really shows something this year, but he likely won't get that chance unless someone gets hurt.

Shawn Willams is still on the team.

Nelson, Marvin Jones and AJ Green are the only ones i'm worried about, maybe Whit, as i'm not confident those two first draft picks are going to be ready any time soon with Alexander running the show.

And the only reason I worry about keeping Nelson is that there's no one else to replace him that's worth a darn in the Safety group, unless Smith really shows something this year, but he likely won't get that chance unless someone gets hurt.

If you are Green's agent, you have to be aiming for Jones money, 45-48M in guaranteed cash. If not why sign the deal. To be honest I'm surprised Jones got so much guaranteed, as his health has been far worse than Green, and no where near Dez, who is a rock.

I don't think they do a deal, franchise him, then keep trying later. Not much will change but for seeing if AJ can put together a healthy, monster season. Pumpkin is shrewd, so no reason to rush.

With cap going up, and players that could reasonably be cut with little fall off from the next man up (Hall and Peko), they could get the money cleared if they had to do a deal. It's there. But again, why rush it.

Well, here we go, boys and girls: various sources (Rapoport,Harvey, others) are reporting that talks between Green and the FO have heated up and a deal could be announced as soon as today. CJ rounds up reports here:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/9/10/9301747/a-j-greens-agent-wants-greens-deal-to-top-julio-jones-per-report

According to LaCanfora, AJ is looking for more that Julio Jones got, which to refresh everyone's memory was $47.5 million guaranteed and $71.25 million over five years, If the Bengals drop that much guaranteed coin it would be a watershed moment for the franchise.

To be expected. As you already noted the Bengals have never given out big guaranteed amounts. Willy's scenario seems most likely to me. A while back I wrote out a scenario where they even franchise him a second time and I still think that's possible, even with the up charge.

I could be wrong, but I think tagging him twice would certainly be more than the 32 million Dez Bryant got in guaranteed money.

I think the WR tag for 2015 was like 14.8 ?? It will go up next year and then 120% more than whatever that price is for the second tag.

It might not be that dramatic of a difference, but giving that money up on a 5 year deal vs. 2 seems to make more sense to me.

Again, I could be wrong. I just can't see them wanting to cut bait on him when he will be going on 30 after the 2nd tag, should they go that way.

32 ?? Maybe another story.