My theory on Hall and Peko still being on the roster

TJJackson

This is the only way I can make sense of this, given the cap-to-production ratios for these two players

The Bengals are holding on to them through camp waiting for either of the following two events to occur

1) Injury to 2 or more other Bengals at their position during camp

In which case they are experienced plug-in guys, and we keep them another year. Not optimal plug-ins, not at all, but plug-ins who know the system and all that. Dont have to teach a street FA the D system.

2) Injury to a starter at their position on another team during camp

In which case they contact said team and offer to trade the player:

--for a 2016 4th or 5th rounder if we're talking about Hall

--for a 2016 6th or 7th rounder if we're talking about Peko

This lets them ensure depth against injury at these two positions and otherwise gets optimal trade value from a team in need of an experienced player at the position in question

Surely among the 31 other teams a CB or DT will go down

Best spot imho for Hall is a division where they use the tight end a lot, as he covers TEs pretty darn well still

Not sure about best fit for Peko

3) the Bengals generally honor contracts to the bitter end. Unless a player is physically unable to play, they keep them on board. This is often chalked up to "loyalty" but I've always thought it has as much to do with finances as anything else. The Bengals are notoriously conservative cap managers and cutting vets and signing replacements disrupts the numbers.

Well, in what I guess is sort of good news, the Bengals and Hall have not talked about an extension...yet.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/11/8588317/bengals-and-leon-hall-havent-talked-extension

If the Bengals do extend Hall, I suspect the reaction at kingwilly's house will be something like this:

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11e8XyUBqRQ

While we're on the subject of guys whose continued presence on the roster is a mystery, guess who is the NFL's leader in missed tackles at linebacker?

(Hint: he's making $7 million this year.)

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2015-broken-tackles-defenses

I can go back and forth with Rey. On one hand he appears to not be that great of a LB, but on the other hand, our run defense was much better when he was in the game. Maybe he can be upgraded, maybe he can't. As with most players on a pretty solid roster, it's hard to always replace them and expect the same results. People scream for Dalton to be upgraded, but who ?? Maybe that's the teams thought with Rey.

Well, to be fair Last Name Rey also shows up on the list of players who miss lots of tackles, so options appear to be limited.

Still I have to think you could find a decent run-stuffing LB who can tackle cheaper.

(And for what it's worth maybe they have as Hawk is on the list of surest tacklers...all depends on those ankles.)