Players Contracts

Apologies for the ignorance in these matters but can players contracts be negotiated/re-negotiated at any point through the year/season or is there a cut off point??

What I'm alluding to is the 5th year options on Kirkpatrick and Zeittler - can these options be annulled if a longer term contract is signed - or now that the option has been exercised do the 1 year extensions have to run their course??

Similarly with other contracts - thinking more about the DBs and Receivers here - can a player sign a contract at any time during the season or is there a deadline which new/extended contracts have to be signed by and after that deadline has passed there are no further options to sign until a designated future date??

Generally speaking deals can be done or renegotiated at any time. The only exception I can think of offhand is the franchise/transition tag. If a player is hit with one of those, they only have to a certain date (somewhere around mid-year IIRC) to do a long-term deal. After that the player must play out the season under the tag.

On fifth year options, the key date is the first day of the new league year in March 2016. On that date the option becomes fully guaranteed; right now they're only guaranteed for injury. The full guarantee tilts the negotiating leverage toward the player a bit. But a long-term deal could be done any time, before or after.

Generally speaking deals can be done or renegotiated at any time. The only exception I can think of offhand is the franchise/transition tag. If a player is hit with one of those, they only have to a certain date (somewhere around mid-year IIRC) to do a long-term deal. After that the player must play out the season under the tag.

On fifth year options, the key date is the first day of the new league year in March 2016. On that date the option becomes fully guaranteed; right now they're only guaranteed for injury. The full guarantee tilts the negotiating leverage toward the player a bit. But a long-term deal could be done any time, before or after.

thumbsup3.gif spot on, Cheers Hoosier

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Tannehill gets Dalton money: six years, $96 million.

/>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12909265/ryan-tannehill-miami-dolphins-signs-contract-extension-2020-season

One difference: Andy got $17 million guaranteed. Ryan got $45 million guaranteed.

That's $45 million guaranteed for a QB with a 23-25 overall record, 0 playoff appearances, and a career rating 1 point lower than Dalton's.

Tannehill posted a 92 passer rating last I think. Has Dalton ever been that high?

In season averages Dalton has been mid to high 80's I think.

2014 individual games he's surpassed the 92 rating :-

wk 1 - @ Baltimore rating of 98.7

wk 2 - Atlanta rating of 116.6

wk 5 - @ New England rating of 117.4

wk 6 - Carolina rating of 93.5

wk 11 - @ New Orleans rating of 143.9

wk 14 - Pittsburgh rating of 128.8

wk 16 - Denver rating of 93.1

• 1 month later...

Josh has an interesting breakdown on how the Bengals cap is being spent by position:

https://twitter.com/Josh_Kirkendall/status/615576810030559232

For all the agita about Dalton's deal, the Bengals's spending on QBs (all, not just Andy, but he's most of it obviously) ranks 18th in the league in 2015.

Meanwhile, the Bengals will spend the 4th-most on DTs, 4th-most on RTs, 5th-most on ILBs, 9th-most on LTs and Gs, and 10th-most on CB and P this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Green Bay (the only public franchise) released its numbers today. Key takeaway: last year the Packers' "national revenue", aka the revenue-sharing check each team gets from the league, was $226 million.

Or roughly $100 million more than the cap.

I'm telling ya, I dunno how Mike Brown does it. Living under that level of crushing poverty must be quite a strain.