Fifth Round #157: TE CJ Uzomah

TJJackson

Shouldn't that far off

I am liking Stephon Diggs as a possible KR/PR WR

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000038/stefon-diggs

a CB, second LB, or second TE would also be good here

Possibly even a K, though I dont know if there are any really good ones out there this year

I tell you what

Gimme this CB and his first round talent and he goes on IR (or PUP if they think there's even a slight chance he could be ready by midseason) this year and is ready for us in 2016.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2028299/ifo-ekpre-olomu

Hall and Jones aren't getting any younger, after all, but they are playing THIS year. Maybe not so NEXT year.

I tell you what

Gimme this CB and his first round talent (In 2014, was consensus All-American and first-team All-Pac-12, and a Jim Thorpe Award (top defensive back) finalist) and he goes on IR (or PUP if they think there's even a slight chance he could be ready by midseason) this year and is ready for us in 2016.

Hall and Jones aren't getting any younger, after all, but they are playing THIS year. Maybe not so NEXT year.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2028299/ifo-ekpre-olomu

I was pimping using a late rounder on Ifo a few days ago. Stick him on IR and hope he comes back in 2016.

Thing to understand is that he really effed up the knee, it's worse than just the ACL. Could be done forever.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Impressive on the hoof. Big, athletic body with room for even more muscle. Lined up at wide receiver, from the slot, inline and out of backfield. Routes are raw, but shows good feel for space. Above-average build-up speed to separate and threaten seams. Used out of backfield to mismatch linebackers on wheel routes. Showed focus hauling in challenging throws. Willing to make tough catches over the middle. Shows an ability to adjust as blocker in space and catch moving targets. Doesn't strike a blow as blocker, but once engaged, he can ride the bull and sustain for a while. Has traits to become a better blocker.

WEAKNESSES Lacks aggression and awareness as run blocker. Gets guys blocked with size over technique or tenaciousness. Doesn't strike a punch in run game or pass pro. Doesn't use size to manhandle cornerbacks when matched up one on one in the red zone. Raw and somewhat inexperienced. Played less than 42 percent of the total offensive snaps for Auburn over last two seasons and made just 22 catches during that time frame. Allows throws to get on top of him. Late readiness with hands, making adjustments to poorly thrown balls difficult.

DRAFT PROJECTION Priority free agent

NFL COMPARISON Richard Rodgers

BOTTOM LINE Former high school wide receiver who still plays the game with a wide receiver's mindset rather than a tight end's. Must get tougher and more physical to become a serviceable in-line blocker but that might not happen. Underutilized in Auburn's limited passing game and could become a much more productive move tight end in the pros than he was in college.

-Lance Zierlein

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL tight end with broad shoulders, long arms and a tapered, athletic frame. Good initial quickness and accelerates fluidly, though top-end speed is questionable. Lined up in a variety of roles for the Tigers, including slot receiver, traditional inline tight end and H-back. Isn't a dominating blocker by any stretch but doesn't shirk from physicality, extending an aggressive punch to his opponent and working to sustain. Good patience as a blocker. Doesn't over-extend and leave himself vulnerable, instead waiting for rushers to attack him and showing good balance and core flexibility to compete against bigger opponents. Good quickness off the line of scrimmage to release into his routes. Tracks the ball well, showing reliable hands and the toughness to take a hit and hang on. Untapped potential that could result in Uzomah emerging as a more productive pass-catcher in the NFL than he was in college.

WEAKNESSES: Possesses undeniable potential but whether due to schematic limitations or not, Uzomah simply wasn't very productive at the collegiate level. Jack of all trades, master of none type. Doesn't explode off the line of scrimmage or out of his breaks and therefore isn't the size/speed mismatch that he appears on paper. Has to show better body control to adjust to passes thrown outside of his frame.

--Rob Rang

Fascinated with the Bengals taking players who have virtually no production. James Wright, Uzomah, the recent examples.

I see no track record of Hayes "making" even highly productive college TE's ready for the NFL game - Coffman, Charles... good players in college that they couldn't make work. Eifert still has some proving of his draft position. Gresham, by most bengals fan view, never really fulfilled his draft spot.

Please, bengals, don't turn Uzomah into a FB, or some kind of hybrid. Let him work in the WR group and ease into the TE role, so you don't ruin what he's shown to be good at. PLenty of UDFA TEs to get who can cut his split and attach and block

As long as Hayes is here they will never develop a TE. That includes Eifert.

Which is a joke. They've has such good talent, all flushed. Poor Eifert with his hinkey elbow. Please please heal correct.

I think about the waste of the pick and potential with Orson Charles. He was a really good TE, but Hayes couldn't get it to work, so let's make him a FB... sso stupid.

They must've really liked this guy, he's obviously a project. I don't know much about his history or why he's so "raw" still...smart, articulate, great athlete.

It seems the Bengals' don't have much faith in Eifert staying on the field or being the same again? But yeah I don't care much for Hayes or his ability to develop guys, much like Alexander, so hopefully he's smart/hard-working enough to figure it out on his own.

I can't say as I even heard of this guy, but I had been mentioned the fact they would take two TE's for a while.

Gresham is gone (certainly not coming back), Eifert coming back from injury, Hewitt staying at FB, and what else exactly ??

They want to run two TE sets and you need depth for that as well. This guy isn't a threat to Eifert in the least.

Eifert and Kroft will be the starting TE's in that situation with this dude, and I think Kevin Brock as backups.

People don't have to like it, but it was coming and they apparently got the guy they wanted.

I liked Nick O'Leary from Florida State, but the knock on him was his athleticism.

This guy is all over it in regards to athleticism.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this pick.

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him. Seems like a talented kid who was a leader on the Auburn team, but way under-utilized in their offense. Good speed, great size and great hands. Also seems like a really nice kid, fan-favorite type. Not much experience as an inline blocker, so I don't understand the comments I've been reading that speak of him as a possible threat to Hewitt's role. Definitely a project, tho. I actually see him as an eventual backup to Eifert. Kroft should be the guy we see blocking inline as a TE more than anyone.

I liked Nick O'Leary from Florida State, but the knock on him was his athleticism.

This guy is all over it in regards to athleticism.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this pick.

I'll be watching O'leary's career. Glad he went to the Bills and not to an AFC North rival.