Fourth Round #135: DT Marcus Hardison

Stefon Diggs would suit me fine, just fine

Diggs would be good

Bennett DT for Ohio State would be good as well

Bennett would be a great shout here too. Either would be a solid selection

does he play DT or DE ?? We need a DT to replace Peko at some point but he's listed as an end

OVERVIEW

Selected honorable mention All-Pac-12 in 2014 after leading team with 10 sacks and 15 tackles for loss. Selected to play in 2015 Senior Bowl. Before enrolling at Arizona State for the 2013 season, spent 2011, 2012 at Dodge City Community College, where he had 96 tackles and 7 sacks. Played some quarterback in high school before moving to defensive line.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.92 and 4.97 seconds

Vertical jump: 25 1/2 inches

Broad jump: 8 feet, 11 inches

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Consistently times snap, and has the quick twitch to turn this trait into a quick penetration and win from inside. Has good arm length. Understands how to keep blockers away from his frame as pass rusher and brings force behind his hands. Rarely square as a pass rusher, using shoulder and hip turn to get skinny and turn corner. Good hand fighter. Comes out of stance with low pad level and looks to capture an edge against the run. Puts something behind his tackles. Showed rapid improvement from midpoint of season all the way through Senior Bowl week.

WEAKNESSES Natural defensive end who is still learning new position and vantage point. Inconsistent knee bend at contact as interior rusher, causing pad level to rise and knocking him off balance. Lacks strength in lower body and gets pushed around by plus run blockers when asked to hold the point. Gets redirected a little too easily at times when stunting. Fires off ball with head low and doesn't see cut blocks coming. Leans into run blockers rather than bringing hips and feet with him.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3

SOURCES TELL US "Really, really quick for a big man. If you would have told me in October that he would end up with all that production and showing out at Senior Bowl practices, I would have thought you were crazy. It just started click for him." -- NFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Henry Melton

BOTTOM LINE A defensive end turned three-technique in a 4-3 defense with outstanding initial quickness off the snap and the hands and feet to be a disruptive, upfield player against plodding guards. Hardison needs more muscle in his lower body and is unlikely to fit defensive schemes looking for stack-and-shed interior defenders. Hardison has starting potential and might be able to come in as a situational pass rusher early on.

STRENGTHS: Possesses broad shoulders, long arms (33.5") and good overall weight distribution. Good athlete for his size. Former defensive end who has a knack for rushing the passer that has remained since moving inside. Possesses impressive initial quickness off the ball, firing off the snap to penetrate gaps. Good lateral agility and flexibility to change directions and pursue. Closes quickly and with an explosive pop that can catch ballcarriers by surprise and lead to forced fumbles. Good strength for the drag-down tackle. Could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES: More finesse than physical. Isn't as stout against the run as his size would indicate and struggles against double-teams. Relies upon his initial burst to penetrate, showing limited hand technique and strength to disengage once opponents lock on. Possesses only average balance for his position, too often getting knocked off his feet. Comes with typical one-year-wonder questions about his dedication and if the same intensity will be there after signing an NFL contract.

Rob Rang

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061036/marcus-hardison

I don't dislike the player - seems like he has pretty good speed and agility for a player his size, and his star is rising with improvement all through the year, and yeah, he's a lineman, but after we picked up Fat Pat and brought back Still and didnt kick Peko to the curb I just dont see a reason to pick up another DT at this time

I see this guy as a practice squad body

would have greatly preferred a WR/KR/PR, a corner (I see the DB we took more as a safety), a second linebacker, or even a second TE

at least it wasnt a RB or another OT :-)

There's definitely a roster squeeze. Hobson had a good early breakdown here:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Depth-chart-feels-a-draft/7eddff3a-4b0c-46e5-a699-0772672e8840

On the dline:

DEFENSIVE LINE (9):

STARTERS: LE Carlos Dunlap, NT Domata Peko, DT Geno Atkins, RE Michael Johnson.

BACKUPS: DE Will Clarke, T-E Wallace Gilberry, DT Kwame Geathers, DT Marcus Hardison; DE Margus Hunt, DE Sam Montgomery, DT Pat Sims, DT Devon Still, DT Brandon Thompson.

The band is back together. With Johnson returning, Gilberry can go back to being a nickel terror in inside and they’ll have to find out about Clarke and Hunt. If you figure they keep five ends and four tackles, then the drafting of Hardison opens up a free-for-all for that final tackle spot with Sims and Still. But they could always keep ten linemen, too. It depends on who plays well and who gets hurt.

As a matter of history, fourth rounders in Cincy nearly always make the final roster. Last one not to do so was Jonathan Luigs in 2009 and if memory serves he got hurt in camp. So unless Hardison totally craps the bed, he's in.

Geathers, Montgomery and Still would all need a miracle to make the final 53 IMO.

So that leaves you keeping four of the following five: Clarke, Gilberry, Hunt, Sims and Thompson. My sense is that it comes down to Sims vs. Thompson since they are basically the same guy. Thompson is four years younger, so my guess is he wins on that. So:

DT: Peko, Atkins, Thompson

DE: Dunlap, Johnson, Hunt, Clarke

DT/DE: Gilberry, Hardison