Fourth Round #120: S Josh Shaw

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Played cornerback and safety at USC. Has above-average size for the cornerback position. Shows some short-area foot quickness and balance in coverage. Attacks the ball on underneath routes with aggressive swipes to disrupt. Can mirror and bring down runners in open space. Disruptive in press coverage. Gets from high to low quickly as a safety. Scouts say he will benefit greatly with more technique and film work in an NFL building.

WEAKNESSES Hips too tight to turn and accelerate when beaten off line of scrimmage. Top-end speed concerning as a cornerback. Problematic lapses in assignments that lead to wide-open receivers. Not a physical, downhill tackler and play strength needs improvement. Has a habit of rerouting downfield in off coverage, which will turn into penalties in NFL. Struggled to keep Stanford WR Ty Montgomery in front of him as a cornerback. Opens hips too quickly in coverage and doesn't have twitch to burst back upfield. Struggles to find and track ball consistently. Suspended early in 2014 after it was discovered he suffered ankle injuries after jumping from second story while evading police, rather than in an attempt to save drowning nephew as he originally claimed.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 5 or 6

SOURCES TELL US "I know about the issues he had this year, but I did plenty of background work on Shaw and I had no problem giving him a passing character grade when I turned in my report." -- NFC North area scout

BOTTOM LINE While Shaw played boundary corner, slot corner and safety at USC, concerns over his athleticism and speed could limit him to zone-cornerback status as a pro. Shaw seems to go along for the ride while on field rather than operate with a voracious appetite to make plays. He's not physical enough to play in the box, so he will likely have to be a Cover-2 cornerback or free safety as a pro.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Possesses a muscled-up frame that makes him look like a safety but given the NFL's recent love affair with bigger cornerbacks, he could remain on the perimeter. He has quick feet and fluid hips to change directions.

Shaw possesses terrific football intelligence, which is demonstrated not only with his ability to shuffle from corner to either of the safety position but in the closing burst he shows once the ball has been thrown. Shaw is rarely fooled in coverage and rips at the ball as it arrives. He is a reliable, consistent tackler.

WEAKNESSES: All questions begin with the dramatic story that unfolded last summer and made national news, only to later turn out to be false. NFL teams will want to see the results of the investigation, and pre-draft interviews will be critical.

On the field, the primary question is about Shaw's straight-line speed and which position he fits best at. Hasn't yet proven to be the intimidating hitter that his frame suggests.

--Rob Rang

Hoping that working within a pro environment will help him along

I like everything about this pick

In round 4 you want a player with the possibility of starting, but you know there's gonna be some warts. He has tremendous size, speed, and strength for either the cb or fs spot, has experience in a major conference playing against top flight PAC10 competition, is said to possess enormous football intelligence, and really the only wart is the jumping off the balcony fiasco.

6'0" 201lbs 4.45 speed 26 bench reps (3 more than our first rd OT) with his experience and football savvy?

Versatility to play CB or FS?

IN ROUND 4?

YES PLEASE

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737241/josh-shaw
/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/josh-shaw?id=2552259

Just read Hobson's fluff piece on this kid. He sounds like a hard worker. I still wish he was slotted to be the FS next season, but having him learn at CB this season doesn't mean he wont move to FS next.

I'd like to see him groomed to be the guy that covers TE's for us.