Second Round #53: OT Jake Fisher

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you know me, I love love LOVE me some lineman

GIMME A LINEMAN

right?

So of all people, I have to love this set of picks, right?

Well.....uhhh.....I think its insane

The pick they should have made was the top TE, who went a pick or two later to the much-hated Ravens

Here's what I think this move to double up on OTs tell us - in no particular order:

1) They are certain Gresham is returning, ergo they didn't "need" to draft a TE. Most of you, myself included, dont WANT that headcase back, but I can't explain not taking the TE when he was there for the taking in any other way

2) They are certain they are losing either Whit or the Flesh Zeppelin after this year. I think (and this is my preference as well) they want to keep Whit but a) can't afford both and B) know that if the FZ signs elsewhere to a big contract, they'll reap a high comp 2017 pick, just as they did this year with AC and MJ. On the other hand, if Whit gets injured, they can use those dollars to re-sign FZ instead, and (sadly) let Whit go. Regardless of which way it goes, they need one new OT ready for 2016, and they figure at least one of these two newbie linemen, both of whom they clearly like a lot, will be ready to step in at whichever spot is vacated by then

3) It goes without saying that this spells the final doom for Tanner "13 Reps" Hawkinson. Dont let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha. BUH BYE.

4) I think they are counting on one of the two, whichever one comes along slower, to back up both guard spots initially and later take over for whichever of the two tackles stays on longer. Whether they resign Whit or FZ, I dont think either is extended for more than say 2-3 years, and by then the heir apparent is ready to go

5) Its also possible that Zeitler wants to leave when he is a free agent, and he's already told them, so after 2016 he needs to be replaced, so they are grooming the replacement now. Of my 5 points, this one is the least likely, but I mention it as a possibility. Some players want to play near where they live to be closer to friends and family year round. He grew up in Wisconsin, played HS and college football in Wisconsin, and may be eying joining a certain Wisconsin-based team when the Bengals cant hold him here any longer. I think its a reasonable conjecture.

6) I do see a certain wisdom in picking up a pair of young tackles when you have a pair of obvious strong veteran mentor types on the roster right now - Whit and Winston.

All that said, I still think they made the wrong move by taking a second OT. The best move was the TE, or barring that, WRs Lockett or Strong would have been better moves as well

I'm certain these are both quality players, and in time they will prove their value, but right now, I am shaking my head in disbelief

and just to close this with a shocker - please, please, please Bengals DONT GIMME ANYMORE LINEMEN

(at least not this year)

Meanwhile, replacing both Whit and Moobs with guys who are $10 million or more cheaper means they can give Marvin Jones a $30 million deal with $20 million front loaded into 2016!

You are absolutely right. Minus the huge deal for Jones. Owners like Mike are going to do this. Find high paying positions, and get guys in on the artificially low rookie deals the new CBA dictates, and avoid a big money second or third contract.

Now you know me, I love love LOVE me some lineman

GIMME A LINEMAN

right?

So of all people, I have to love this set of picks, right?

Well.....uhhh.....I think its insane

The pick they should have made was the top TE, who went a pick or two later to the much-hated Ravens

Here's what I think this move to double up on OTs tell us - in no particular order:

1) They are certain Gresham is returning, ergo they didn't "need" to draft a TE. Most of you, myself included, dont WANT that headcase back, but I can't explain not taking the TE when he was there for the taking in any other way

2) They are certain they are losing either Whit or the Flesh Zeppelin after this year. I think (and this is my preference as well) they want to keep Whit but a) can't afford both and B)/> know that if the FZ signs elsewhere to a big contract, they'll reap a high comp 2017 pick, just as they did this year with AC and MJ. On the other hand, if Whit gets injured, they can use those dolalrs to resign FZ instead, and sadly let Whit go. Regardless of which way it goes, they need one more OT ready for 2016, and they figure at least one of these two lineman, both of whom they clearly like a lot, will be ready to step in at the vacated spot by then

3) It goes without saying that this spells the final doom for Tanner "13 Reps" Hawkinson. Dont let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha. BUH BYE.

4) I think they are counting on one of the two, whichever one comes along slower, to back up both guard spots initially and later take over for whichever of the two tackles stays on longer. Whether they resign Whit or FZ, I dont think either is extended for more than say 2-3 years, and by then the heir apparent is ready to go

5) Its also possible that Zeitler wants to leave when he is a free agent, and he's already told them, so after 2016 he needs to be replaced, so they are grooming the replacement now. Of my 5 points, this one is the least likely, but I mention it as a possibility. Some players want to play near where they live to be closer to friends and family year round. He grew up in Wisconsin, played HS and college football in Wisconsin, and may be eying joining a certain Wisconsin-based team when the Bengals cant hold him here any longer. I think its a reasonable conjecture.

6) I do see a certain wisdom in picking up a pair of young tackles when you have a pair of obvious strong veteran mentor types on the roster right now - Whit and Winston.

All that said, I still think they made the wrong move by taking a second OT. The best move was the TE, or barrign that, WRs LOckett or Strong would have been better moves as well

I'm certain these are both

Well stated.

Meanwhile, replacing both Whit and Moobs with guys who are $10 million or more cheaper means they can give Marvin Jones a $30 million deal with $20 million front loaded into 2016!

You are absolutely right. Minus the huge deal for Jones. Owners like Mike are going to do this. Find high paying positions, and get guys in on the artificially low rookie deals the new CBA dictates, and avoid a big money second or third contract.

You're right, Mike will give the $30 million to Sanu. Or possibly Tate, I'm not sure.

Don't you read Hobson at all?

Not for at least 4 years now.

I kicked the habit, and so should you :-)

Well, all I know is that the Bengals were smart in not taking Malcom Brown because he fell all the way to the Patriots. So, see, the Bengals know what they are doing and Hobson says so!

Gregory goes to Dallas.. What a waste chance. I don't think folks get how good Gregory is. He's ridiculous. Just flush the chance to get a seriously dominant pass rusher. So dumb.

Problem there is will he be out of the game in two season? Anyone dumb enough to not stop smoking before going to the combine has a serious problem.

Hearing about him missing team visits, I have a feeling he has some serious anxiety or bipolar issue going on. What he needs is help. These guys are treated like a commodity, not human beings. Bengal had a chance to get an elite player and spend the effort helping him... Instead they stockpiled OTs, as if to indicate they think NFL will effectively remove hgh from the sport.

I can't recall a time when a Bengals draft was so obtuse, almost criminally ignoring the true issues and weaknesses within the team. When the Bengals win SB 50, I'll be happy to print the stress and eat it, page by page.

Hobson says so!

Just to clarify, I put what Hobson says on equal footing to what the homeless guy in the gutter who talked the Browns into drafting Johnny Backup Johnny Rehab says

Just about equal knowledge of football, but paid a lot better

He's either that or he's akin to Baghdad Bob from the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe they can also play defense and get some pressure on Luck and Roethelisburger. No?

Maybe Jake can also play safety? Or return kicks...

Kick returner? We have Tate baby... Or if they would be used Pacman..schanzbocker something or another and the five to ten other players on team who I'm sure would be a better returner then Tate..