Second Round #53: OT Jake Fisher

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just waiting for Skyline to drop in and gush at the crystal clear wisdom of the selection, then my head will truly explode.

This is, by miles, the strangest draft ever. Completely nuts. So much wasted talent blown by.

These are foolish picks... GRADE F.

OVERVIEW

Played in 50 games and started in 35. Considered to be "more polished" than former Oregon Duck and first-round guard Kyle Long by his offensive line coach. Third-team All-American and First-team All-Pac 12 in 2014 starting 13 games at left tackle after moving over from the right side. Missed Washington State game due to leg injury. Made 11 starts at right tackle in 2013, and was named honorable mention All-Pac 12 in 2012 after making 11 starts at right tackle. Received Oregon's "Pancake Club" award in 2013 and 2012 for most pancake blocks. In 2011, played 13 games as a reserve right guard. Standout tight end and defensive lineman for Traverse City West High School in Michigan. Named first-team all-state and All-Big North as a defensive lineman.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Former tight end who moves easily and naturally. Good initial quickness to reach cross-face blocks. Finisher in zone game. Can sustain blocks with proper hip roll and balance through contact. Keeps base wide and uses choppy, controlled steps in pass sets. Mirrors well and has feet to shut down stunts inside. Well-timed and effortless transition from initial block to second-level assignment. Adjusts with good change of direction. Fights back with resolution after losing a rep to defender. Understands how to create leverage advantages with angles and footwork.

WEAKNESSES One of the most penalized tackles in 2015 draft class over last two seasons, including six holding calls during 2014 season. Needs angles to get consistent push in run game. Lacks power. Allows outside hand to get wide in pass pro, opening himself up to bull rush. Catches pass rusher rather than punching. Not much pop in his hands. Inconsistent feet as a run blocker, slowing feet at contact against power. Missed part of 2014 with a leg injury. Needs weight-room work to add more bulk to his frame. Needs to improve his contact balance against power.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe they can also play defense and get some pressure on Luck and Roethelisburger. No?

Maybe Jake can also play safety? Or return kicks...

Minor technicalities for a team trying to convince itself they are on par with the Patriots.

Maybe if they keep spouting the words "deep" and "established" they'll actually become that.

The "we are deep and let the draft fall to us" jargon is code for "time to manage the cap".

That's fine, just don't advertise a win now mantra when it's not accurate.

If this is a mini-rebuild, while keeping key pieces in place, then so be it. Just don't know why they had to go full out with the propaganda about "making pass rush the number one priority".

It's the usual wishin-hopin-prayin approach to pressure, hokie. Wish MJ boosts the sack count, hope Geno returns to form, pray Burfict makes it back.

Meanwhile, replacing both Whit and Moobs with guys who are $10 million or more cheaper means they can give Marvin Jones a $30 million deal with $20 million front loaded into 2016!

Gregory goes to Dallas.. What a waste chance. I don't think folks get how good Gregory is. He's ridiculous. Just flush the chance to get a seriously dominant pass rusher. So dumb.

Problem there is will he be out of the game in two season? Anyone dumb enough to not stop smoking before going to the combine has a serious problem.

To be totally honest, I really don't like this pick, he is not a very fundamentally sound OT. He has relied on his quickness and team mates to help him a lot. Hopefully I'm wrong, but he may end up a pulling OG in the NFL.

I like him. No weight/injury concerns, no work ethic or motivation concerns, strong and athletic, successful starter on the #2 team in the country last year. Very good guard/tackle depth, which they need. It is the minimal impact these two picks will have this year that are the problem.

It's the usual wishin-hopin-prayin approach to pressure, hokie. Wish MJ boosts the sack count, hope Geno returns to form, pray Burfict makes it back.

Meanwhile, replacing both Whit and Moobs with guys who are $10 million or more cheaper means they can give Marvin Jones a $30 million deal with $20 million front loaded into 2016!

I hate it when you agree with me. lol.

Damn, man, you are the sensible one on this board. Hearing you reflect my thoughts is sobering to say the least.