First Round #21: OT Cedric Ogbuehi

If 2016 were a normal free agent year, I'd agree that this is a tempest in a teapot. But it isn't, and as a certain poster whom I'll call "AB" is fond of saying, you can't pay everyone.

When you're trying to scrape together money to resign you whole WR corps, four of your five starting DBs are free agents, plus you're paying almost $16 million on two fifth year options, and there are several other starters or key reserves also up...well, it's tough to justify putting together a package for a 34-year-old tackle when you have two top prospects picking splinters out of the bench.

Who are we sacrificing to keep Whit around for one or two more years? Zeitler? Iloka? Sanu? Why is it less important to keep Adam Jones or Reggie Nelson (other aging vets who still play well) than Whit, especially when oline depth is arguably the best area of depth on the team?

I'm not saying that letting Whit go is the right thing to do, but we know how this team spends money and structures deals and there isn't going to be enough for everyone.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you are saying Hoosier, my point basically is that they have options at other positions with those two top round picks.

I don't really see Whit getting paid big money on the market and think they can bring him back at a reasonable deal.

Even you have mentioned when I make the comment about not being able to pay everyone, that the cap will continue to increase and it won't make it as difficult as it may seem. I think it is somewhere inbetween all of that. It's a good point in regards to Nelson and others, but they also aren't considered the locker room leader that Whit is and we all know how they value leadership. See one Peko, Domata.

The team tried to work with Whit. They kicked him inside to guard, and he blatantly came out and said no, I'm a tackle. Then he backed it up with his play last year. Bengals looking for one thing (stability, guard pay, willingness to go inside while mentoring), Whit looking for another thing (I'm rich, bitch!).

Yes, they can get guys signed even keeping Whit, but it would likely take more creativity than they are willing to do. Whether Whit will take a team friendly deal is the big question. As COB noted he's made it clear in the past he has a strong notion of his value.

he's made it clear in the past he has a strong notion of his value.

Could be why he came out with the "i can play for another 5 or 6 years" rhetoric - publicly announcing to other potential suitors that if they pick up his contract he'll give them some longevity??? Not sure how many offensive linemen have performed well in their mid to late 30's or even at 40 but I guess he's looking for a payday somewhere, either Cincy or somewhere else.

Could be, Scottish. He claims he wants to retire a Bengal, though. Today, he is still retweeting Bengals fans who are kissing his butt on Twitter.

I think his goal is as advertised: an extension in Cincy. Based on past team history I'm not sure this is the smartest way to pursue it.