Smith, Burfict, Eifert Out for May Practices

HoosierCat

Per Hobs, all three are still rehabbing.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-staging-for-Bengals-Drive-for-Five/766952ee-e751-488d-bab6-bfe3825a8547

Not surprised about Burfict and I'd read Moobs was still rehabbing but geez, how long does Efert need? Guy heals at the speed of smell.

could this be precautionary??

I would have thought with Eifert that if the coaches knew his recovery was slower than anticipated, or not gone as well as expected, then they would have pushed harder to sign Casey or Housler in FA ....??????

The only injury i'm concerned about not being ready is Burfict.

More than likely everyone else will be ready to go come camp.

Probably true. Still, after an offseason of "change" that turned out to be the same ol', same ol' "we'll be better when we get injured guys back" bit, it's frustrating to see said injured guys still stuck working on the side.

It's frustrating because it's so wholly freaking predictable. Months ago, a bunch of people here talked about the Bengals needed to approach this offseason like these guys were out, and for a while it sounded like the Bengals were going to do just that. Then...crickets. So here we are, again, wishin', hopin' and prayin' that injured guys can make it back at something approaching their top form (which never happens because rehabbing and staying in football shape are two different things) and that, if they can't, some late round rookie is going to miraculously transform into a Pro Bowler.

tl;dr -- Army may be right but I've seen this movie before and the ending sucks.

Oh, no doubt Hoosier. I would much rather see them ready to and wish the team would have done more to address it during the offseason.

However, at the end of April, i'm not quite concerned beyond Burfict. If it's still the case come camp time, i'll be a little more irritated.

I guess that's why i'm always looking forward to the draft and what it may bring.

I saw that article as well and thought the same thing.

He has an opinion, which he's entitled to, but he knows it's a business, he knows he's making a ton of money, and he knows he will make a ton more within the next couple of seasons. The way he expressed himself is very nice to see these days.

I handle the part of playing. Im not hurting for money, I got my option. Thats enough for now. Im just focused on football. Next year will take care of itself.

Class act. Hopefully things remain that way when he gets tagged next year.

A couple nuggets from Hobs today:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-quick-hits-Whits-dare/56ad2d75-e5a9-4884-8c4b-c23750457499

Whit promises to keep any rookie drafted to play LT on the bench...for as many years as possible.

Will Clarke put on 20 lbs. in the offseason.

Kirkpatrick says this is his year.

Whit promises to keep any rookie drafted to play LT on the bench...for as many years as possible.

This is what I was talking about earlier in one of these threads when discussing which OT position they want to address.

If they feel Whit is going to be here for at least another 2 seasons, they might go after the guy whose a natural RT.

I say that because I just know Moobs is only in shape this season due to his contract being up. I think they let him go after this season.

If that's the case, they can go after the LT in next years draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobs drops this bombshell about Burfict in passing in his new mailbag:

He’s back at PBS grinding it daily with Paul Sparling, the titan of trainers, and Nick Cosgray, the master of the rehab redux. The problem is that after a microfracture knee surgery (which he had in January), the patient can’t do anything for a couple of months.

So at best, he’s a long way away. A conservative guess is he won’t be ready for the start of training camp and it’s going to come down to the wire if he starts the season in Oakland on Opening Day or on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) and is out the first six weeks of the regular season. But, he’s a competitor and it wouldn’t be surprising if he showed up in August ready to go.

PUP. Great. Just great. Why do memories of Peter Warrick come to mind?

A little semi-update in Hobson's latest column:

So the only thing that stands out now is what dribbles out about injuries. Wide receiver Marvin Jones and tight end Tyler Eifert say they feel good coming off injury and expect to be ready for the first day of training camp. Same with right tackle Andre Smith. The status of WILL backer Vontaze Burfict seems to be up in the air and if you read the tea leaves its a tight call whether hes ready for the season or starts it on PUP. Except for Jones, I doubt well see any of those guys in the May and June stuff.

Hobs drops this bombshell about Burfict in passing in his new mailbag:

He’s back at PBS grinding it daily with Paul Sparling, the titan of trainers, and Nick Cosgray, the master of the rehab redux. The problem is that after a microfracture knee surgery (which he had in January), the patient can’t do anything for a couple of months.

So at best, he’s a long way away. A conservative guess is he won’t be ready for the start of training camp and it’s going to come down to the wire if he starts the season in Oakland on Opening Day or on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) and is out the first six weeks of the regular season. But, he’s a competitor and it wouldn’t be surprising if he showed up in August ready to go.

PUP. Great. Just great. Why do memories of Peter Warrick come to mind?

I want to be wrong on this big time, but I think between the knee and head injuries, all that will be left of Burfict is a shell.