The Walrus Mock

Walrus

So I was playing with Fanspeak's draft simulator a little bit yesterday for the first time. (Super easy and fun, too. Check it out if you haven't before) I'd be stoked if our draft turned out like this. As I ran through different scenerios, I found that by far the hardest spot to draft seems to be OLB. I really would like OLB HAU'OLI KIKAHA of Washington in the 2nd, but he almost never was available at 53. Often, he would be snapped up by the Eagles at 52 and sometimes much earlier in the 2nd.

Anyways, I ran this simulation a bunch of times trying to come up with a realistic draft that I was happy with. So this is what I got. My draft, based on CBS Sports' big board is as follows:

21: R1P21

OT ERECK FLOWERS

MIAMI (FLA.)

Of the first round tackles, he is the one I want but there seem to be several good ones and at least one of them seems likely to be available at 21.

53: R2P21

DT CARL DAVIS

IOWA

As I noted above, he's not my first choice here, but there's no doubt he's a monster and should fit into Peko's spot well. Another option here would be a CB or WR, although I'm not in love with any of the WR options that were falling here.

85: R3P21

WR PHILLIP DORSETT

MIAMI (FLA.)

Here's our x-factor, speedy, Baby-Hawk-like WR. Love this guy.

99: R3P35

CB SENQUEZ GOLSON

OLE MISS

Guy's a player and looks like a steal at the end of the 3rd.

120: R4P21

OT ROB HAVENSTEIN

WISCONSIN

I think we need 2 OL in this draft. The second guy can be more developmental and Havenstein may be more pro-ready than we need. But that's not a bad thing. Wisconsin OT? "unquestioned leader of the Wisconsin offense"? Yes please.

135: R4P36

OLB MIKE HULL

PENN STATE

So here's where I took my OLB. Hull is a little under-sized, but seems like a good prospect and he has the Penn State pedigree, so seems like a solid choice here.

157: R5P21

TE NICK O'LEARY

FLORIDA STATE

I love this guy's game. Would be thrilled if the Bengals took him. Would be shocked if he fell this far.

197: R6P21

S JORDAN RICHARDS

STANFORD

Looks like maybe a smarter Taylor Mays?

238: R7P21

RB JOHN CROCKETT

NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Thinking about a late-round special teams prospect. This guy's nickname is "Taz". Sounds promising to me!

If Dorsett would fall to the 3rd it would be surprising.

However, with the talk about them wanting to find someone with return experience, I can't say he's the best fit.

Tate looking to go elsewhere only seems to further that thought and why guys like Lockett are mentioned.

That is a fun site to tinker around with, but you get some outlandish scenarios.

I had one where Danny Shelton fell to #21. While I would love that, it's not happening.

Love the first three picks. But I think you need to move safety and TE up higher on the list, TE especially.

I don't think that would be a problem. I know Kroft is a guy they like at TE and he should be there at 120. Are there any safety prospects on the radar?

If Dorsett would fall to the 3rd it would be surprising.

However, with the talk about them wanting to find someone with return experience, I can't say he's the best fit.

Tate looking to go elsewhere only seems to further that thought and why guys like Lockett are mentioned.

That is a fun site to tinker around with, but you get some outlandish scenarios.

I had one where Danny Shelton fell to #21. While I would love that, it's not happening.

Yeah, I got that too a few times with Shelton. I tried several of the Big Boards, but felt like I got the fewest oddball results with the CBS one. Did not test exhaustively, tho.

But who knows - I guarantee there will be someone there at 21 who you never expected to fall. It happens just about every year. DTs can be difficult to predict, too. As big as some of those guys are, health and motivation can be a big issue and a bit unpredictable how clubs see a guy.

Are there any safety prospects on the radar?

In his mock on da site, Hobson was adamant that if Landon Collins falls to 21, he's the pick. It seems unlikely he'll drop that far (not so much because he's all that, but because he's the best of a weak class) and honestly I'd crap my pants if they took a first round safety. They have never valued the position that highly. But who knows?

Are there any safety prospects on the radar?

In his mock on da site, Hobson was adamant that if Landon Collins falls to 21, he's the pick. It seems unlikely he'll drop that far (not so much because he's all that, but because he's the best of a weak class) and honestly I'd crap my pants if they took a first round safety. They have never valued the position that highly. But who knows?

Meh. Normally I'd be excited about a first round safety, but I don't think Collins looks special. I'd rather cross my fingers and hope Shelton falls!

Ran through the simulator (thanks for the heads up Walrus).

This is what I got. Let me know what you think.

1 (21) Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State. Don't think he will be there but if he is he will be the BPA.

2 (53) Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State.

3 (85) Gerald Holiman, S, Louisville.

3 (99) Rob Halverston, OT, Wisconsin.

4 (120) Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida

4 (135) Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State.

5 (157) Jordan Hicks, ILB, Texas.

6 (197) Shaq Riddick, DE, West Virginia.

7 (238) Eric Lefeld, OT, Cincinnati.

Not what I set out to select but I tried to take the best talent available and I think there are some really great players here.

honestly I'd crap my pants if they took a first round safety. They have never valued the position that highly.

A Mr Rickey Dixon and a Mr Daryl Williams would like to speak to you

Rickey was supposed to move to CB. But then holdout blah blah blah. Williams was a late first rounder in a year they had two (I am deliberately not naming the first first round pick).

Ran through the simulator (thanks for the heads up Walrus).

This is what I got. Let me know what you think.

1 (21) Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State. Don't think he will be there but if he is he will be the BPA.

2 (53) Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State.

3 (85) Gerald Holiman, S, Louisville.

3 (99) Rob Halverston, OT, Wisconsin.

4 (120) Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida

4 (135) Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State.

5 (157) Jordan Hicks, ILB, Texas.

6 (197) Shaq Riddick, DE, West Virginia.

7 (238) Eric Lefeld, OT, Cincinnati.

Not what I set out to select but I tried to take the best talent available and I think there are some really great players here.

Interesting draft. Love Bennett, Havenstein and O'Leary. After reading a little about Holiman, he sounds like a great option.

Picking another 1st round CB is starting to feel absurd. Also, I will be interested to see where Perriman goes. I still think he's a mid-rounder, but he ran such a blazing 40 some people seem to see him as a 2nd rounder. Also, I'm not sure he fits our need for a slot/return guy. I've been interested in his smaller, shiftier teammate, Rannell Hall, who showed some impressive moves and quickness in the few games I saw him in. Might be worth a look in the 6th or 7th.

Yeah. I had no intention of taking him but if that talent going to be available in the fourth you almost have to pull the trigger (personally I think Waynes is a top 12 pick and Perriman goes late rd. 1). If the real draft goes like this I will very surprised but pleased.

I've been messing around with this site for a while now and we always seem to come up a little short.

A player I feel would really be a good fit goes a pick or two before we get on the clock.

Hope it doesn't go that way come the draft.

Out of curiosity, which big board are you using? Have you tried different ones?

OK fine. So using the CBS big board:

1. DE Randy Gregory. With Jerome Simpson gone locker room needs a new connection.

2. DT Carl Davis. The second coming of Peko.

3a. WR Tyler Lockett. No way he'll be there at this point.

3b. OT Cedric Ogbuehi. Injury risk but good upsode.

4a. TE Tyler Kroft. All Bengals mocks must include Tyler Kroft.

4b.CB Jacoby Glenn. Potential Pacman replacement.

5. WR Jamison Crowder. Incredibly productive for a hobbit.

6. OLB Xzavier Dickson. Won't make the final 53.

7 S Anthony Jefferson. Sleeper with potentail to swing between CB and S, a total steal in the 7th. (No way he'd be there.)

Kept looking for better safety and lb candidates but they kept getting snapped up.

I've been messing around with this site for a while now and we always seem to come up a little short.

A player I feel would really be a good fit goes a pick or two before we get on the clock.

Hope it doesn't go that way come the draft.

Out of curiosity, which big board are you using? Have you tried different ones?

I haven't really tried anything outside of CBS because I believe it to be pretty accurate for the most part.

I will have to tinker around with the others and see what I come up with.

Well to get any talent at LBer I had to go for it in the first, not what I wanted to do. Here is what I came up with.

1. ILB Eric Kendricks

2. DT Carl Davis

3. CB Ronald Darby

4. OLB Davis Tull

5. TE Ben Koyack

6. S Jaquista Tartt

7. OT Corey Robinson

8. WR Stefan Diggs

9. OT Tayo Fabuluje

As you can see, to get LBer talent I had to wait to get OT talent till late and the draft is front loaded with Defense, but it fills all the needs that the team has right now.

Can't recall which one it was, but I found their take on what would be available interesting.

I went by their highest rated player at one of the perceived positions of need with the exception of the 6th and 7th round.

Those two were just for fun. I would still love to see us with a real FB and two little speedsters would be fun to watch in preseason.

#1. OLB, SHAQ THOMPSON, WASHINGTON

#2. OT, ANDRUS PEAT, STANFORD

#3a WR, TYLER LOCKETT, KANSAS STATE

#3b S, CODY PREWITT, OLE MISS

#4a TE, JEFF HEUERMAN, OHIO STATE

#4b CB, IFO EKPRE-OLOMU, OREGON

#5. DT, ELLIS MCCARTHY, UCLA

#6. FB, JALSTON FOWLER, ALABAMA

#7. WR, MARIO ALFORD, WEST VIRGINIA

Cant see taking a WR that early when we could take Stephon Diggs much later. He is taller and is almost as fast, probably a better fit for what we need.

I'd take the best run stopping DT available at the 3 a pick and add Diggs around the sixth round. I'm also not sold on the Ohio state TE over the ND kid as a blocker if Kroft is not the pick.

This is a tough draft to get OT, LB and DT talent up front. The Bengals will have to take a prospect on one of these fronts and it looks to me like OT is a deeper group. All these groups have a few NFL ready players, a group of prospects that really are not round 3 or 4 talent. That is my reason for going LB, DT, CB then starting with prospects at spots of need.

I like the Tull kid as a all around LB and Diggs as a WR with speed and hands.

I'd love getting the Oregon CB that deep in the draft, Peat is the OT to target in the 2nd for me and Prewitt is a solid FS. Overall i"d have no major objections to this draft ARMY.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are certainly other ways it could fall for sure.

No one in their right mind expects Peat to fall to the 2nd round, so that's one right there.

Like I said, I was only going by who they had rated highest at a perceived position of need.

If you plug in another sites big board and handle it in the same manner, you will come up with all kinds of differences.

I actually like Heuerman from Ohio St. though and simply think he wasn't utilized all that much in their offense.

That's wasn't due to his ability, but rather what they schemed for.

Overall, the TE class is weak and while I might like a few of them, there's nothing stellar.

It would be all about value at that spot.