Comp Picks

HoosierCat

Nothing to complain about there.

Getting a 3rd for a player (MJ) that is back on the roster a season later is what's really great.

I really do think the pass rush is going to be improved with him back in the fold.

Now my focus for that group is Geno. I'm wondering where he is health wise ??

Has to be better than where he ended the season, but still wondering.

Have to love the comp picks !!!

Yup, pretty much best case scenario. If I've done the math right we have 6 picks in the top 135:

:cheers:

Positions of need to be addressed with these premium picks:

OT

DT

OLB

Other positions I wouldn't be surprised to see taken with one of these, but that could also wait until 5th round or later: WR, TE, CB, S, OG, QB

I told ya'all it'd be a 3 and a 4 (and maybe a 7)

I told ya :-)

This year we should be playing the other side of the comp picks game - load up in one year so you can skip free agency the next 2-3 years

We've done a little of that, but we should load up more. TE James Casey *should* be the next target. And they do have the funds to do so, he won't be all that expensive, maybe 1.5-2M

I told ya'all it'd be a 3 and a 4 (and maybe a 7)

I told ya :-)

This year we should be playing the other side of the comp picks game - load up in one year so you can skip free agency the next 2-3 years

We've done a little of that, but we should load up more. TE James Casey *should* be the next target. And they do have the funds to do so, he won't be all that expensive, maybe 1.5-2M

I have no idea what his contract demands are in FA, but Casey has been very well compensated as an Eagle. Whatever his demands, they could pick up a similar guy in the draft with one of those extra picks - like

with #99. :sure:

A quote from Marvin Lewis says that he hopes that the player they choose at number 21 doesn't help this year, but helps in the future.

What a bizarre thing to say.

I'd hope the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks would all "help" to some degree this year.

Is Marvin insinuating that the depth is so deep that a first round draftee would only likely see action if the players ahead get injured??

I suppose it's all in how you "think" the front office and coaches feel about certain players.

I think they could draft a DT, OLB or TE in the first round and have them compete for starting time.

However, they think Peko is one of the best NT's in the league and I can't account for whether an OLB or TE would be a reach.

Assuming everyone else comes back healthy, I don't see a rookie starting this season.

Drafting an OT in the first wouldn't bother me and I would love to see Peat fall to #21.

WR could be an option if someone falls, but that's a deep spot in the draft and hope that's not the thought.

BPA appears to be what will be in play unless there is a player they feel they just have to have and make a move up in any of the rounds.

I don't see them trading up in the first, but with them now having the luxury of an extra 3rd and 4th, a move up in the 2nd or 3rd wouldn't surprise.

They're drafting an OT in the first. Specifically a LT prospect to replace Whitworth. The only way he will see the field in 2015 is due to injury (which given the history of both our tackles is depressingly likely.) That's what Marvin means.

This is why they aren't bringing Collins back either.

Collins can back up both tackle spots and both G spots as well

and for cheap, at this point in FA

bring him in

If Collins was coming back they'd have done it by now.

Oline in the draft I believe

I can't help but think the organization isn't that big on Collins for one reason or another.

Most people were going on and on about how the o-line would have been more effective with Whit kicking inside and leaving Collins at LT.

With all that being said and what appeared to be working well, they simply moved on when Whit stated he didn't want to move inside.

Some (including myself) thought the front office should have forced that issue, but they didn't.

I can't help but think they weren't as high on him as maybe the fans thought they were.

I mean, there hasn't even been a whisper of his name anywhere.

I simply think they like who they currently have and know they will be drafting the position for the future anyway.

I won't argue the right or wrong of such a decision really, but simply commenting.

If you believe the rumor mill, "bridges were burned" when Collins left. What bridges and by who, I have no idea, but apparently neither side is all that interested in a rebuilding project.

But even setting that aside they already five starters and five oline backups in house. Two of those backups, Winston and O'Donnell, have significant experience (albeit O'Donnell's is in the CFL). Then there's Dan France, Trey Hopkins (who they were very high on before he got hurt last year) and of course Hawkinson, who's a 3-year project now falling into the "shit or get off the pot" category. Throw in a first-round pick and I think you've actually got a pretty solid mix.

I doubt they bring cOllins back, just for the reasons mentioned. Something soured there and it doesn't seem to be a priority to fix, especially given the current depth. That said, OT could be the r1 pick with fat Andre and Whit both expiring for 2016. Take the best OT and call it a day in r1.

Here's the full list via Coley Harvey:

First round: 21st overall selection

Second round: 53rd overall selection

Third round: 85th overall selection

Third round (compensatory pick): 99th overall selection

Fourth round: 120th overall selection

Fourth round (compensatory pick): 135th overall selection

Fifth round: 157th overall selection

Sixth round: 196th overall selection

Seventh round: 238th overall selection

So the Bengals have a full normal draft -- seven picks -- in the first 157 selections and eight picks in the top 200. Nice.

Here's the full list via Coley Harvey:

First round: 21st overall selection

Second round: 53rd overall selection

Third round: 85th overall selection

Third round (compensatory pick): 99th overall selection

Fourth round: 120th overall selection

Fourth round (compensatory pick): 135th overall selection

Fifth round: 157th overall selection

Sixth round: 196th overall selection

Seventh round: 238th overall selection

So the Bengals have a full normal draft -- seven picks -- in the first 157 selections and eight picks in the top 200. Nice.

4 picks in the Top 99 ...... a real chance to build some solid, reliable depth, and a strong foundation for the near future thumbsup3.gif