Blackouts RIP

HoosierCat

The NFL is "suspending" its blackout policy for 2015.

/>http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-to-suspend-blackout-policy-1427134699

After they lost the fig leaf of the FCC, I figured there would never be a blackout again because now they couldn't blame it on an evil big gubmint rule. Looks like things are headed in that direction.

Good move, IMO. Ticket revenues are mostly just gravy at this point anyhow. All the big $$$ is in the TV rights.

Vote was 31 ayes, 1 nay.

Three guess who the lone no vote was... (hint: __ike __rown)

I read why he voted against it and I don't disagree with him to be honest.

He is for the lifting of the blackout rule, but didn't like how they tied it into revenue.

It appeared to hit the small market teams harder.

Ehhh...it doesn't seem likely to matter. I was looking at the attendance numbers on ESPN today and the Bengals have only dipped below the 85% mark once in the past seven seasons (that's as far back as their numbers went). That was in 2011 when everyone thought they'd win 1-2 games. And still they hit 75%. Last three years they've been well over 90%.

Ehhh...it doesn't seem likely to matter. I was looking at the attendance numbers on ESPN today and the Bengals have only dipped below the 85% mark once in the past seven seasons (that's as far back as their numbers went). That was in 2011 when everyone thought they'd win 1-2 games. And still they hit 75%. Last three years they've been well over 90%.

Seems like Mikey wishes to insulate himself from the ire of the fans, should the natives of the WDR get restless again...