HoosierCat

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's done. He's a free agent.

http://www.bucsnatio...michael-johnson

woot_jump.gif

They land Fairley and MJ, THEN we got some change going down, by god!

I'd agree with that.

Will they have the cap space to do a deal with Fairley ($6-8M/YR), (he made 2.475 in 2013) and a redo with MJ (4-6M/YR)? maybe this is lowball..not sure.

If they cut Peko ($3.7) and then redo (or cut) Hall ($9.7) they'll have the space for sure. an no worse for he wear, IMHO.

They land Fairley and MJ, THEN we got some change going down, by god!

I'd agree with that.

Will they have the cap space to do a deal with Fairley ($6-8M/YR), (he made 2.475 in 2013) and a redo with MJ (4-6M/YR)? maybe this is lowball..not sure.

If they cut Peko ($3.7) and then redo (or cut) Hall ($9.7) they'll have the space for sure. an no worse for he wear, IMHO.

NO WAY they will cut Peko.

Hall I'm not so sure about.

If they were able to find the coin for Fairley as the status quo then cutting Hall or forcing a restructure should lever enough coin to make a legit offer to MJ.

Could anyone seriously object to swapping out Hall for MJ at this juncture ??

Dehner said no way bengals will sign both Fairly and MJ, they don't have enough money with other contracts coming up.

How about back loading the contract since MJ will be getting 7 mil from the Bucs, nope Bengals never do that

But is that "don't have enough $ for both" based on retaining Hall at his current contract salary ($9.7 million) ??

Cut Hall and you've got nearly $10m cap space to play with .... it can be done

Dehner said no way bengals will sign both Fairly and MJ, they don't have enough money with other contracts coming up.

How about back loading the contract since MJ will be getting 7 mil from the Bucs, nope Bengals never do that

But is that "don't have enough $ for both" based on retaining Hall at his current contract salary ($9.7 million) ??

So ... which would you rather have? Fairley or MJ?

I think I'd prefer MJ, who is younger and we already know what he brings to this defense. Also, there are a lot of options at DT in the draft, not so much at DE.

Edit: MJ is actually almost a year older than Fairley. Don't know why I had the impression Fairley was older...

Sure they could. But they would have to come off their preferred pay-as-you-go structure.

For instance, you could do 5 years, $40 million for Fairley (not saying they should just an example) and give him salaries of 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 million with a $10 million signing bonus on top. That's a cap hit of $4 million in year one, almost half of the mighty Maualuga's.

You could do a similar deal for MJ with a cap hit of, say, $3 million in year one, so the two together equal FNR.

So yeah, they could do it, just will they? I dunno if "change" extends that far.

Sure it can be done, but will they, I doubt it.

They have young CB on this team and it's time to start playing them, but for some reason Marvin hates doing that. I just can't see them cutting Hall.

I'd prefer Fairley AND MJ over the choice of Fairley and Hall.

If between Fairley OR MJ only then it may come down to contract numbers which may allow another signing (ie, cheapest option)

Bogus excuse but one the Bengals love right now. Who do they have to sign that's going to command big bucks? Green and maybe Zeitler.

Plus it ignores that the cap has gone up $21 million in the past two years and shows no sign of slowing. It could go past $160 million in the next year or two according to some projections.

Bogus excuse but one the Bengals love right now. Who do they have to sign that's going to command big bucks? Green and maybe Zeitler.

Plus it ignores that the cap has gone up $21 million in the past two years and shows no sign of slowing. It could go past $160 million in the next year or two according to some projections.

It implies that they are doing nothing but bite the bullet on the Leon Hall Contract. I see this as 100% gross mismanagement.

If Leon Hall was even 3/4 of the player he had been, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal but this is one massive white elephant right now.

Did you see the guys he listed? I'm thinking maybe 4 guys need to be paid! The bengals need to realize that sometimes it's not worth signing some of the guys, change can be good, and who knows maybe even help.

And there'll be a salary saving when Gresham walks ..... i'm not sure how much though

And there'll be a salary saving when Gresham walks ..... i'm not sure how much though

Gresham is free and clear. There i no dead money there. so its a clean break.

It's simply disingenuous when they say they have no $ to wok with. They're simply choosing to not exercise options that would create the needed money.

WHich tells me that they'd prefer overpay by 60-805 for Hall and Peko, rather than continue to work to improve the roster (bring back MJ, find a decent TE like Fasano). They make it appear like they are handcuffed.

It implies that they are doing nothing but bite the bullet on the Leon Hall Contract. I see this as 100% gross mismanagement.

If Leon Hall was even 3/4 of the player he had been, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal but this is one massive white elephant right now.

Yeah, that's the other option. If they insist on sticking with pay-as-you-go, cut Hall and between his cap space and what they have left under their self-imposed limits you've got plenty of room to dump big cap hits into this year. Shoot, you might get Hall back cheaper in a few weeks.

Read it & weep, fellas:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mike-Johnson-cut-loose-as-Bengals-crunch-numbers/97bcd0d0-5281-41fe-ab40-679e800e19f0?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Shorter Hobs: Bengals are flat broke, no space, Fairley on hold while they talk to Johnson but don't look for Johnson he's too expensive.

I don't get it, so your going to stop talks to see if they can figure out how to get Johnson, meanwhile Fairly will sign else where. Next the bengals will figure out how to get Johnson, but he will sign with the Vikings. Yea smart move bengals!

I suspect that the bit about putting Fairley on hold is better translated as "he wants more than we want to pay so no deal."

I agree it's very possible they sign neither player.

Right, Hobson is saying they can sign ONE more free agent (either Fairley or MJ) ..... so sign one of 'em ...... then hurry up the Gresham out the door deal, re-structure or axe Hall and hey-presto you have enough cap space to sign the other one .... and still some cash left in the vault !!

JFDI .....Just .....F+*%ing......Do.....it !!!