Bengals Re-Sign (1year later) Michael Johnson

HoosierCat

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With their unwillingness to restructure/cut Hall and how much they feel they truly have, I don't think Gresham is in the plans.

If that's not the case, please stop raining on my parade, because i'm one that is more than happy to see him move along.

Don't get me wrong, they "could" do another deal or more if they truly wanted to and felt it was a good fit.

That being said, I don't expect it to happen.

I think the longer Gresham sits on the market, the tougher it gets not to bring him back. Yes, there are apparently locker room/coaching issues, but the options are rapidly narrowing to spending more money for a FA TE like Casey who may or may not be an upgrade, spending less/equal cash for an aging FA vet like Alex Smith who is probably a downgrade, or trying to plug in an untested rookie via the draft. And the economics of the way the Bengals do business may already have ruled out the first of those options.

I agree that they're basically done in FA. We'll get a couple more bargain bin guys, but that's it. Though to be fair it seems like free agency is basically over less than a week before it began, doesn't it? The first week has turned into the first 24 hours, the second-third weeks into the next 3-5 days, and now we're in the "sorting through the junkpile" phase.

I think James Casey can be had fairly inexpensively

You'd think so, but he's visited 3 or 4 teams including the Bengals and hasn't hooked on anywhere yet. That suggests to me he's asking more than anyone is willing to pay.

At this point his (and probably Jermaine's) best bet may be to chill, stay in shape and wait until after the draft. Some teams (like Cincy) will be hoping to fill a need at TE in the draft and all of them probably won't be able to do so to their satisfaction. So someone could come knocking with an improved offer.

Latest Hobson update mentions the Bengals were no where near the 1yr 5M the Rams offered to Fairley. Even knowing the Rams deal is loaded with heavy incentives. How can the Bengals be so far off? In the context of what they are paying Peko, I'd have guessed this have been close to or above ths Peko level. If not, then why bother?

The bengals low balled him, as usual. Why they bothered, I dunno. I guess they figured since he has a Moobs-like rep they might get lucky.

In respect to the "why bother" question, it occurred to me last night that it simply might have been an issue of timing.

There's a report out that the Bucs were shopping MJ and had found a trade partner, but MJ wouldn't agree to redo his contract. I'm sure the Bengals would have heard about MJ being on the block, and that would have been a strong indication that he'd be cut if they couldn't do a deal. So the Bengals had good reason to expect him to be available and put MJ as their No. 1 FA target from the start.

But they were going to have to wait 3 days to find out for sure, and the Bucs might change their minds or some other team might jump in with a rock-stupid-money offer he couldn't turn down. Or they might find a trade partner who would take his contract as-is. So the set up a plan B: Nick Fairley. Because of his various issues he wasn't going to go in the first, premium, wave of free agency. He was a tier 2 guy who'd still be around at the end of the week, and if MJ didn't shake loose, they could bring him in over the weekend and work out a contract.

That timeline would have worked fine in previous years, but this year saw the first "legal tampering" period before the official start of FA. That hyper-accelerated the process so that the first wave of FA, which usually takes a week or so to shake out, was over in about 24 hours. So by Wednesday night/Thursday morning, Fairley's agent is already fielding calls. This puts the Bengals in an awkward spot. If they don't bring Fairley in, and the Bucs don't release MJ (or succeed in dealing him), their whole plan blows up. So they bring Fairley in on Friday and slow-walk things while keeping an eye on the news. When word of MJ's release hits, they give him a hearty handshake and a lowball offer just in case, and proceed with plan A.

The only thing that could have fouled them up then was Zimmer, but in hindsight considering all the mash notes the two sides sent each other in the media during the lead-up to FA, I wonder if the Vikings visit wasn't meant as smoke-and-mirrors to make the Cincy return look a little less like a case of wholesale tampering. I do think the Vikes made a much bolder offer than MJ & Thornton were expecting, but in the end the plan held.

That make any sense?

Latest Hobson update mentions the Bengals were no where near the 1yr 5M the Rams offered to Fairley. Even knowing the Rams deal is loaded with heavy incentives. How can the Bengals be so far off? In the context of what they are paying Peko, I'd have guessed this have been close to or above ths Peko level. If not, then why bother?

The bengals low balled him, as usual. Why they bothered, I dunno. I guess they figured since he has a Moobs-like rep they might get lucky.

That make any sense?

Sure, it makes sense. And there are probably 20 other scenarios we could come up with that would make just as much sense.

It's why I don't start blasting everyone in the organization when things don't work out. There are a lot of moving parts and we're unaware of the majority of them.

That make any sense?

Sure, it makes sense. And there are probably 20 other scenarios we could come up with that would make just as much sense.

It's why I don't start blasting everyone in the organization when things don't work out. There are a lot of moving parts and we're unaware of the majority of them.

My bad. I forgot to attach the disclaimer to that post:

WARNING: This post not intended for consumption by Skyline. Consumption by Skline may result in nausea, hair loss, anal leakage, acne, bad breath, rickets, hairy palms or microscopic alien invasion of the Islets of Langerhans. Do not consume this post if you have a history of lycanthropy. The most common side effect of this post is aggravation. If symptoms persist, please see your Internet Service Provider immediately.:P

That make any sense?

My bad. I forgot to attach the disclaimer to that post:

WARNING: This post not intended for consumption by Skyline Mike Brown. Consumption by Skline Mike Brown may result in nausea, hair loss, anal leakage, acne, bad breath, rickets, hairy palms or microscopic alien invasion of the Islets of Langerhans. Do not consume this post if you have a history of lycanthropy. The most common side effect of this post is aggravation. If symptoms persist, please see your Internet Service Provider immediately.tongue.gif

I corrected your post.

You forgot so soon?

And, just to be clear, I was agreeing with you this time. Your post seems plausible. cheers.gif

the Cincinnati Cockroaches (hide when the lights go on)

I like it!

(Red Rifle Roaches would be a great name for a Chinese punk band.)

Led Lifle Loaches ??laugh.gif

This is the wording from MJ's contract in regards to the 10 sack season bonus that had been mentioned.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the "Not likely to be earned" aspect.

The don't think MJ is going to produce another 10 sack season ??

I know he only had the single season here that he had double digit sacks, but not likely ??

I think if Geno is closer to 100% than he was last year (which he should be) MJ getting 10 sacks shouldn't really surprise people.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Added incentives: $1,000,000 (a one-time NLTBE [Not Likely To Be Earned] bonus for having 10-plus sacks in any season, plus a $1 million base escalator, for up to $3 million in total incentives; can come in any year)

"Not likely to be earned" is a technical term in this case. There are two classifications for incentives in NFL contracts, "likely to be earned" and "not likely to be earned." If an incentive is judged likely to be earned, it has to be counted under the cap. NLTBE incentives don't have to be counted under the cap. If a likely incentive is not, in fact, earned, then the team gets credit for that on the following year's cap. If a NLTBE incentive is actually earned, then that amount is deducted from the team's cap the following year.

tl;dr NLTBE is a cap thing not an actual judgement on whether or not he'll get 10 sacks.

Yeah, I'm an absolute encyclopedia of mostly worthless information. Still can't remember where I put my car keys from day to day, tho. :)

Good breakdown on MJ's time with the Bucs here:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/3/19/8236381/breaking-down-michael-johnsons-year-with-the-buccaneers