Bengals Re-Sign (1year later) Michael Johnson

HoosierCat

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted in another thread the activities the team has been busy with, and that's all great but if this team won't make the kind of moves that regularly occur in the NFL to unload disadvantageous contracts that hamper the improvement of the team, then they might as well line up with 10 players every other down.

Then release him and rehire him as an asst coach

I'm sure that will come, I just get the feeling that this year they still think he has something to offer on the field as a bit-part player

Based on what I've read, the issue for the Vikes is they really don't have a spot for MJ. His sport is currently held by Brian Robison but they aren't thought to be ready to move on yet. Robison also gets $2 million guaranteed today and $4 million more in July. So they would be committing a sizeable amount to two players at the same spot. Meanwhile the DE on the other side, Everson Griffen, just got $42.5 million last year.

@christomasson: Michael Johnson on if the Vikings have offered him a lucrative deal. "Yes, sir.'' He wouldn't give exact numbers, though.

Tons more on his timeline, go read it.

MJ is keeping a promise to visit Cincy as well but my guess is he ends up with Zim, who has ownership that will actually spend money.

Yep, from all the chatter it seems like he being respectful of the Bengals by coming in for a visit.

If the Bengals ownership really want him they'll have to put out to make it happen.

I just don't see it. Not at this point. It feels like the whole effort here is to click on a basic plan they set out from the beginning. I don't see them laying out the coin they'll need to hold off Zim and Minny.

Maybe they surprise us, but it's hard to remember a bigger missed opportunity. For once all the chips fell the Bengals' way. They got all their key guys back and could improve in the biggest area of need with a few million for Fairley and a mid-tier deal for MJ. That frees them up to go almost any direction in the draft. All of this was totally doable and didn't require any huge new contracts and wouldn't have endangered anything in 2016. Instead we appear to be getting the status-quo, wishin-hopin-prayin plan we always get.

Maybe they surprise us, but it's hard to remember a bigger missed opportunity. For once all the chips fell the Bengals' way. They got all their key guys back and could improve in the biggest area of need with a few million for Fairley and a mid-tier deal for MJ. That frees them up to go almost any direction in the draft. All of this was totally doable and didn't require any huge new contracts and wouldn't have endangered anything in 2016. Instead we appear to be getting the status-quo, wishin-hopin-prayin plan we always get.

I'll hold out hope that they get a deal done with MJ. I think he'd fit right back into the rotation and would help get the D into a good spot.

The impact for the draft could mean they can ease off the pressure to take a DE and look at LBs or even a highly rated WR, or take the standard BPA.

Not getting Fairley is a bummer, moreso as he revealed his weight is down and he seems to have matured and taken a more PRO approach to his work. Silly to think they lost him due to the small amount of coin that might have been the difference in offers, if the Bengals even put one forth.

There are still many holes to address, so I'll be keenly watching what to team does now till the draft. TE is an area of concern to me. Don't want Gresham back, so it might mean TE becomes a draft priority as none of the FA efforts have worked out.

Seems like the Oline is in a good spot. Backup QB is another question. Since they probably won't be drafting one. Might come down to a cut Veteran FA who comes available.

Latest Hobson update mentions the Bengals were no where near the 1yr 5M the Rams offered to Fairley. Even knowing the Rams deal is loaded with heavy incentives. How can the Bengals be so far off? In the context of what they are paying Peko, I'd have guessed this have been close to or above ths Peko level. If not, then why bother?

Well, he has an offer from Minny so it has to meet that. I don't know what that that number is. The thing about the Bucs' money means you might be able to get him to take a deal with minimal upfront cash and some guarantees in years two and three.

Just throwing out a deal: 5 years, $30 million. Salaries of 3, 3.5, 4.5, 6, 7. Guaranteed signing bonus of $6 million in March 2016. Cap hits 3, 5, 6, 7.5, 8.5.

Latest Hobson update mentions the Bengals were no where near the 1yr 5M the Rams offered to Fairley. Even knowing the Rams deal is loaded with heavy incentives. How can the Bengals be so far off? In the context of what they are paying Peko, I'd have guessed this have been close to or above ths Peko level. If not, then why bother?

The bengals low balled him, as usual. Why they bothered, I dunno. I guess they figured since he has a Moobs-like rep they might get lucky.

The bengals low balled him, as usual. Why they bothered, I dunno. I guess they figured since he has a Moobs-like rep they might get lucky.

I think they are playing a dangerous game, placing such a high expectation on the draft, when we've seen guys like Hunt, Clarke, as Still and Thompson kind of flounder I adjusting to the NFL game. Even more, they pick at 21, when the higher rated DEs may be all gone. So here's hoping they get MJ back....

It's just so hard to run an NFL franchise, dontcha know.

SMH.

the Cincy jungle article attempts to spin it as "smart" that they didnt get Fairely at the numbers the Rams spent because they'd just have to do another deal in 2016, along with all the other FAs up in 2016..... Not sure I see the logic , or inherent issue having yet another player to plan for... But whatever helps folks sleep at night.

CJ has gone corporate. All they do is regurgitate the company (Bengals) line.

Oh, I don't know. Josh was ranting and raving pretty hard the other day about the lack of Bengals moves in free agency. But, he does seem to settle down after a bit and get tired of all the negativity.

CJ has gone corporate. All they do is regurgitate the company (Bengals) line.

Oh, I don't know. Josh was ranting and raving pretty hard the other day about the lack of Bengals moves in free agency. But, he does seem to settle down after a bit and get tired of all the negativity.

He's been pretty Hobson-like of late.

Adding AJ Hawk and even Johnson probably won't be enough to get this team over the hump if they're just going to rely on draft picks and the same players again. They didn't win a playoff game with James Harrison and MJ either in the past. I'm not sure what makes those two types of re-additions and their normal draft situation this year any different.

They will need an incredible defense to overcome Dalton's shortcomings. They aren't getting it done at this point, and don't seem to be willing to.