Bengals Re-Sign Clint Boling

HoosierCat

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/3/10/8187821/bengals-and-clint-boling-close-to-new-deal-per-geoff-hobson

No terms yet.

Can't complain. Boling is a solid if unspectacular guard and the fewer changes on the oline the better. I think this might be the first year in the Dalton era we haven't had changes up front.

Good move and keeps Marvins mantra of "sign your own guys and build through the draft" not only true but ongoing - opens up the draft options too. I'm liking this a lot

AC officially released from Tampa Bay http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Bucs-Release-Collins-Among-Roster-Moves/f491d9fb-1d71-4f83-8131-36ae17c14f68

Does the re-signing of Boling wipe out any possibility of Anthony Collins returning to Cincy?

I know the "AC come home" talk has been pure speculation/wishes from the fan base, but if there ever was going to be a chance is that now gone with Boling staying put??

How many O-linemen do they usually carry ??

According to the .com it's 12

C - Bodine & Johnson

G - Boling & Hopkins

OT - France, Hawkinson, Newhouse, O'Donnell, Smith, Whitworth, Winston, Zeitler

I don't think it's down to the number of O-lineman on the roster (Newhouse gone and others naturally PS or back-ups), I think it'll come down to paying starter type salaries .... for a 4 man front you could have, potentially, 6 starter type salaries in Bodine, Boling, Zeitler, Smith, Whitworth and Collins should he be signed......not sure the Bengals would cope with that

Yeah, that was what I was getting to in asking how many do they usually carry.

The amount of money invested in one group is only going to be so much.

I didn't mention it in my first post, but i'm happy that Boling is going to be back.

He's an athletic OG and will continue to get better, as he has to this point.

The continuity on the line is a good thing as well.

Isn't Big Dre in a contract year ??

You can certainly expect big things from him in 2015.

Just move on afterward.

I get that, but with Smith, you know he's thinking about that next payday.

Wasn't his best season his last contract season ??

I can see the Bengals letting him go after 2015.

Perhaps the draft will give us pointer as to how they view the longer term Moobs situation

My guess with Moobs is that they let him play out his deal and test the market like last time. I doubt he finds much interest and as a result back he comes.

But in any event they are going to have to address the oline early in the draft. Whit isn't going to last forever and right now we have no clear succession plan.

Whit isn't going to last forever and right now we have no clear succession plan.

And that is why I thought letting AC go last year was a mistake as he offered longevity. Anyhoo - perhaps AC comes back and gives us that natural succession.....perhaps.

I'd take AC ... Whit ain't gonna last forever

Numbers are in: 5 years, $26 million. Puts Boling in the top 10 LG in regards to paycheck. Bengals FO definitely stepped upon this one.

AGREE. Really big props to the management for getting this done. Boling more than certainly would have gotten bigger offers on the open market. There is money to be had. I like this signing. takes some pressure off the O-line overall.

I guess I'll hate on Boling. I think he is athletic and a good puller. He is young and knows the scheme. The quick passing offensive system hides pass protection weaknesses though. I don't think he will ever make it to all-pro level because he stands up too high.