Lions DT Nick Fairley to Visit

HoosierCat

I've read the option would have cost the Lions $5.5 million. So no, not huge money. As I understand it the Lions declined due to concerns over his struggles with injury and motivation issues.

I see it as a moderate-risk, potentially high reward scenario. And some of that risk can be moderated by incentive and playing time clauses that tie his bonuses to performance and actually being on the field.

Sounds like another Andre Smith to me.

I suppose it really depends on the money. Big name often equals big $$$. Not sure I'd be thrilled with that risk.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that keeps jumping in my head is how they couldn't spend that much on the d-line last year when MJ was negotiating.

Are they somehow willing to spend that kind of money now, knowing they still have a need at the DE spot ??

I don't know how much they would shell out to Fairley, but that's what I keep thinking about.

MJ was tough because the Bucs were offering(and signed him for) $8.5 million a year. Factor in that Florida has no income tax and the Bengals would have had to $9 million per to come close to matching the deal. Fairley isn't going to command that. My guess is he'll get something like 5 years, $30 million with heavy PT and performance incentives that could push it to $40 million+.

I've read the option would have cost the Lions $5.5 million. So no, not huge money. As I understand it the Lions declined due to concerns over his struggles with injury and motivation issues.

I see it as a moderate-risk, potentially high reward scenario. And some of that risk can be moderated by incentive and playing time clauses that tie his bonuses to performance and actually being on the field.

Sounds like another Andre Smith to me.

And Moobs has actually been a pretty good player, even taking injuries into account. If I had to make a list of players I see people complaining about, he'd be pretty far down. I'll take that.

The question will be, can they or will they spend the money to sign him, after getting Bolings deal done. They need pass rushers bad on this team, so I'm hoping they spend to improve that spot.

Well, if they are serious about signing him they will have to do one of four things:

1. Use some of that cap space they usually sequester way ahead of time for things like rookies and the injury pool. This is the easiest and most likely option IMO. They will get space back as guys get cut and rookies replace other guys on the roster down the road.

2. Cut Hall. I think if they were going to cut him they would have done it already.

3. Bite the bullet and pull some money from future years by either restructuring Hall or giving Fairley a significant signing bonus. Or some combination of the two. The Bngals hate hate hate this but it's how other teams operate so it can be done.

4. Fully guarantee a significant chunk of Fairley's contract in future years. This would mean paying him even if they cut him (the scenario Tampa faces with MJ) but it keeps the cap hit in each year.

Here's a good read from the Lions site. Sky's comparison to Moobs is apt. Based on how the Bengals handled that I'm confident they can deal with Nick.

/>http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/TWENTYMAN-Can-the-Lions-trust-DT-Nick-Fairley/131d84bd-fa42-448a-82bd-718eb0361355

http://espn.go.com/b...innati-bengals/

ESPN thinking that Fairley out of the running signing back in Detroit ......nothing more coming out of Cincy on the visit as yet

Think Geno-Fairley-Thompson-Peko

Peko is a distant 4th in that rotation, in my mind, and I dont think his current salary warrants it

Draft a DT instead or pick up an average guy for vet min plus a 100k bonus, and use the savings for something else

He likes it here so maybe you even cut and re-sign him for vet min

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

@JoeskiBroski: Welp. Fuck. "@NEPD_Loyko: #Patriots showing interest in Nick Fairley according to @MarkDanielsPJ"

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

I was hoping the silence coming out of the visit was due to thrashing out the details of a deal.dash.gifdash.gifdash.gifdash.gif

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

@JoeskiBroski: Welp. Fuck. "@NEPD_Loyko: #Patriots showing interest in Nick Fairley according to @MarkDanielsPJ"

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

I was hoping the silence coming out of the visit was due to thrashing out the details of a deal.dash.gifdash.gifdash.gifdash.gif

It could be with Fairley's agent using the Pats as leverage.

Or, it could be the other way around.

Well, if he's here and they want him that bad, figure it out.

I'm sure there's the whole weight concern and other medical checks that need to be done, as well as interviews and such.

If they are satisfied with all of that, get it done. He's in your house, not theirs, make it happen.

Well played, Katie, well played.

Let the market come to you... Great work.

Thats a bit harsh KW .... you'd have to offer over-the-top $ to get the deal to stop the agent generating as much interest as they can, and over-the-top $ to do that would lbe an overpriced contract

I think willy's point is that if there's a guy you want, quit dicking around and do the deal. Before 4 yesterday there were a hundred different deals already nailed down and this could have been one of them.

But once again the Bengals are behind the times. Usually the second tier of FA starts a week or so in. This year it started today. Now they're stuck in old school visits and bidding wars with teams fighting over the few remaining good players left. And they never win those because they refuse to do business like most of the rest of the league.

I think willy's point is that if there's a guy you want, quit dicking around and do the deal. Before 4 yesterday there were a hundred different deals already nailed down and this could have been one of them.

But once again the Bengals are behind the times. Usually the second tier of FA starts a week or so in. This year it started today. Now they're stuck in old school visits and bidding wars with teams fighting over the few remaining good players left. And they never win those because they refuse to do business like most of the rest of the league.

Or, maybe the Bengals tried and the agent said no under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

Maybe the agent had already heard from all 6 teams over a week ago and knew it was going this way. Perhaps his client wanted to wait until free agency officially began and he was able to make official visits.

Who knows.

I get sick of all the assumptions that the Bengals FO are a bunch of lazy imbeciles.

Maybe they'll get Fairley and maybe they won't. But, seeing as how they got the first visit, it seems as if they've put forth an appropriate amount of effort.

You've got maybe 3 or so guys who could provide impact on the D line. Fairley, Clayborn, MJ.

Nay to the they can't make a move to improve citing money is a force, since we can all point over at the Hall contract just bleeding money from the teams femoral artery. Solves that.

They did retain FNR but probably overpaid slightly. They did snag Boling, so at least we know they didn't all take a family vacation.

It comes down to two things, in my view.

1.wjat they believe tagged can get in the draft

2. How they assess the value of the options left, like Fairley and Clayborn.

Both guys offer more than Still and Clarke.

3. Why remain silent ton the Hall situation. Loyalty is great but the player got paid huge money as he went through Two major injuries... And now hell be paid far more than all but the elite corners out there despite it being obvious that he's not the player he was.

Or, maybe the Bengals tried and the agent said no under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

Maybe the agent had already heard from all 6 teams over a week ago and knew it was going this way. Perhaps his client wanted to wait until free agency officially began and he was able to make official visits.

Who knows.

I get sick of all the assumptions that the Bengals FO are a bunch of lazy imbeciles.

Maybe they'll get Fairley and maybe they won't. But, seeing as how they got the first visit, it seems as if they've put forth an appropriate amount of effort.

I'm not calling the lazy but considering the evidence (results) I think it's fair to allege imbecility. At least misguided arrogance. Just look at the Hall deal the they are anchored with. Indefensible.

Who knows.

I'm not calling the lazy but considering the evidence (results) I think it's fair to allege imbecility. At least misguided arrogance. Just look at the Hall deal the they are anchored with. Indefensible.

Or perhaps they don't value the same thing(s) that you value.

How long have you been following this team? It's hardly an "assumption" that they routinely fumble things in free agency. Shoot, you only have to go all the way back to last year to find the most recent example, the blown tender decision on Andrew Hawkins. And it isn't about being "lazy imbeciles," words I'll thank you not to put in my mouth. It's about a refusal to do business in a way that's competitive with the rest of the league.