Lions DT Nick Fairley to Visit

HoosierCat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a visit yes but they can't let him leave without a deal, otherwise we're just negotiating Detroit's contract for them.

Put Fairley in the rotation and even Clarke might score some sacks.

But it will require major bank. And no Mike Brown sleeping on it crap.

Yep, sign me up for that one.

Halls contract looking a bit shaky if they need to free up the coin, but whatever JUST FREE UP THE COIN !!!

It's just a visit yes but they can't let him leave without a deal, otherwise we're just negotiating Detroit's contract for them.

Put Fairley in the rotation and even Clarke might score some sacks.

But it will require major bank. And no Mike Brown sleeping on it crap.

Make room tonight by cutting Hall.

Maybe they have a grand plan to use Hall as trade bait during the draft... Not that most teams wold trade for Hall but we seen some nutty moves today.

Yeah let's just hope this isn't the usual "show the fans we're trying" and kicking tires B.S., and that they have real $$ allocated for at least one impact FA.

Well, I guess we'll see if the old Marvin FA visit rule still holds. I know you and I'm sure others recall how in the bad old days there was a parade of free agents through Cincy every year. They would come in, have dinner, say nice things and then travel on, using the Bengals' offer as leverage to get a better deal elsewhere. When Marvin was hired in 03 he put an end to this. Only FAs who had deals basically done would visit to iron out final details and make sure all parties were comfortable with each other.

Tomorrow we will find out if the rule still holds.

http://stripehype.com/2015/03/10/bengals-courting-nick-fairley/

It really would transform not just the D line but the secondary too

I'm still really pumped at the thought of adding Fairley.

I know there are concerns with him, but sometimes players just need a change of scenery.

Dare I say the leadership of that group would be a real plus for him ??

Yeah, very hopeful for this to get done.

Co-signed. Yes, Fairley has a nagging injury history and a recurring case of the "wants toos." But signing him would show the organization is, to steal a phrase from Lap, BALLS OUT this year. Scoring big in FA is hard but you'll never do it if you don't try.

Then there's the fact that a gimpy, unmotivated Fairley is still better than Peko, Still and Thompson combined.

Make it happen Katie.

I'm still really pumped at the thought of adding Fairley.

I know there are concerns with him, but sometimes players just need a change of scenery.

Dare I say the leadership of that group would be a real plus for him ??

Yeah, very hopeful for this to get done.

Co-signed. Yes, Fairley has a nagging injury history and a recurring case of the "wants toos." But signing him would show the organization is, to steal a phrase from Lap, BALLS OUT this year. Scoring big in FA is hard but you'll never do it if you don't try.

Then there's the fact that a gimpy, unmotivated Fairley is still better than Peko, Still and Thompson combined.

Make it happen Katie.

Yes, to the bolded, underlined part of your post.

"BALLS OUT !!!" Nope, never going to grow up...

If the Bengals sign Fairley and AC/MJ then unfortunately for the family the holiday budget will be spent on my flight for a weekend in Cincy to catch game this season !!!

(Note: I like Peko a lot as a person, and love seeing him play goalline fullback, but not at all as a starting DT)

The Stripehype link (posted above) related how Fairleys addition would mean that Peko could basically become a bit-part player, and be all the more effective for that fact.

Double positive outcome from that viewpoint

I think Hoosier may have mentioned it in the past, but I think it bears repeating.

I still don't think Peko goes anywhere, because the team is surely to have a higher value on him than Thompson.

With Still not looking like he's coming back, I can't see them canning Peko.

They won't ask him to restructure, because they feel they do a great job of handling the cap.

Peko's cap hit is 3.7 million this year.

Anyone wanting to make sure we have money to get players, needs to be looking at Hall, not Peko in my opinion.

Just to be clear at the end of the day I have no issue if they keep Peko as part of a rotation, he's still better than Still. Think Geno-Fairley-Thompson-Peko. What I don't want to hear from the organization is some BS about how they can't pay Fairley because Peko the Invisible Locker Room Leader is making $5 million.

Just to be clear at the end of the day I have no issue if they keep Peko as part of a rotation, he's still better than Still. Think Geno-Fairley-Thompson-Peko. What I don't want to hear from the organization is some BS about how they can't pay Fairley because Peko the Invisible Locker Room Leader is making $5 million.

Or that they have no budget at all. MR. Busted Hall is there for nearly #10Million, so they have no excuse. None. They need to improve up front well before they continue to overpay for busted Leon.

I've read the option would have cost the Lions $5.5 million. So no, not huge money. As I understand it the Lions declined due to concerns over his struggles with injury and motivation issues.

I see it as a moderate-risk, potentially high reward scenario. And some of that risk can be moderated by incentive and playing time clauses that tie his bonuses to performance and actually being on the field.

The only thing that keeps jumping in my head is how they couldn't spend that much on the d-line last year when MJ was negotiating.

Are they somehow willing to spend that kind of money now, knowing they still have a need at the DE spot ??

I don't know how much they would shell out to Fairley, but that's what I keep thinking about.