Lions DT Nick Fairley to Visit

HoosierCat

Well I guess they wanted him and we didn't.

Way to go with this new, aggressive FA policy Bengals !

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's done. Our consolation is MJ and a return to form for the D line.

Not the biggest disappointment ever but still irritating

Unless Zimmer snaps him up in Minneapolis......and then what we got ???

/>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6l1QljpMo

Make a run at Mr. NRA.... hardy...

I'd prefer not but beggars can't be choosers, right. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

1 year, $5 million.

Bengals are a joke.

Yes, yes they are

No. No, they aren't.

Ok and that's fine, I'm just trying to figure out how they got better so far? Would have Fairly worked out, I don't know, but he's been a force in the middle and for that price I would have liked to have seen him here.

1 year, $5 million.

Bengals are a joke.

Yes, yes they are

No. No, they aren't.

Their words are not consistent with their actions. Change was coming. We got same old same old. Missed out on players who likely would have improved the team. They have permitted a bad contract to move forward, that handcuffs their ability to compete in signing players that could help the team. They mislead about their cap and financial situation as a basis for not being more active.

As external observations, Am I missing something?

1 year, $5 million.

Bengals are a joke.

Yes, yes they are

No. No, they aren't.

Their words are not consistent with their actions.

I would say that the "change" hasn't been as drastic as expected, mostly because fans and the Bengals value free agents differently.

I do think they are better than they were at the start of the offseason, though.

AJ Hawk is an upgrade to our LB corps. They signed him on day 1 of free agency. When was the last time they signed someone on day 1? This is a change, but it's not what fans were hoping for (a.k.a. a big name, big dollar guy).

People are also overlooking Clint Boling as if he were someone we still had under contract. We didn't. On day 1 of free agency, Clint Boling was not on our roster and was drawing interest from a wide variety of teams. The Bengals deserve credit for wrapping up one of the top guards in free agency. Instead, fans seem to write it off completely since he was on our roster last year. I get that this doesn't make us better than last year, but it does make us better than we were when free agency opened.

People are upset that they didn't get Fairley, and that's fine. We'll see how it goes...if he shows up overweight again and is a non-factor, then we'll be happy with the decision. If he kills it, then we missed one. Time will tell.

IF they add Michael Johnson, then the team absolutely gets better. Jury's still out on that. If it happens, then I call this a successful FA period. If not, then I'll be disappointed, though not ready to burn the place down.

Why? Because the Bengals are a good team. They don't have to make big splashes. Would one top-tier FA be enough to put us over the top? Maybe, but that's not usually how it works unless you're talking about Seattle getting Jimmy Graham. Far more important, in my mind, will be having a healthy team next season, adding a few key pieces (like Hawk and MJ), and developing the young players that we currently have. We need AJ to play in the playoff game. We need Marvin Jones. We need Tyler Eifert. we need Burfict. We need Geno Atkins to be back to his old self. We need our first-round corners to finally emerge, especially now that Newman is gone. We need Jeremy Hill and Gio to be utilized well. We need Bodine to take a step forward. All of these things are more important to me than getting Nick Fairley.

And while people get sick of hearing about needing money for upcoming years, there's no denying that 2016 is going to SUCK. We're going to bleed some players that year. The way the Bengals have set things up, though, they should be better set up to handle it than a lot of other teams around the league.

Their words are not consistent with their actions.

I would say that the "change" hasn't been as drastic as expected, mostly because fans and the Bengals value free agents differently.

I do think they are better than they were at the start of the offseason, though.

I agree but it is an incremental improvement. FA period is a time to makeimpact signings, that can be gaugedthrough the prism of previous NFL success of that player, not uncertainty of draft pick.

AJ Hawk is an upgrade to our LB corps. They signed him on day 1 of free agency. When was the last time they signed someone on day 1? This is a change, but it's not what fans were hoping for (a.k.a. a big name, big dollar guy).

Hawk is is nice signing, akin to the Dhani Jones pi-up. If we get that kind of impact, color me ecstatic. he is no the player he was a few years ago, so I am keeping my expectations tempered.

People are also overlooking Clint Boling as if he were someone we still had under contract. We didn't. On day 1 of free agency, Clint Boling was not on our roster and was drawing interest from a wide variety of teams. The Bengals deserve credit for wrapping up one of the top guards in free agency. Instead, fans seem to write it off completely since he was on our roster last year. I get that this doesn't make us better than last year, but it does make us better than we were when free agency opened.

I am very pleased they won out on Bolin, who may be he most important player to have brough back. I would wager jeRemy Hill would think so.

People are upset that they didn't get Fairley, and that's fine. We'll see how it goes...if he shows up overweight again and is a non-factor, then we'll be happy with the decision. If he kills it, then we missed one. Time will tell.

To me, it's not Fairly, it is the approach (of which we can only see so much). Bottom line is his visit overlapped with MJ suddenly coming available and I think that might have distracted them from the task at hand, Fairley. Fairly has tons of potential an working in high-demand group with Atkins, Gilberry and Peko could have brought out the best in him. I hope this isn't a blunder that bites the team next November as teams wear down.

IF they add Michael Johnson, then the team absolutely gets better. Jury's still out on that. If it happens, then I call this a successful FA period. If not, then I'll be disappointed, though not ready to burn the place down.

In my mind, they NEED to get MJ back,then work recapture some chemistry and the intensity they had in 2013. get the D-line into dominant, disruptive force.

Why? Because the Bengals are a good team. They don't have to make big splashes. Would one top-tier FA be enough to put us over the top? Maybe, but that's not usually how it works unless you're talking about Seattle getting Jimmy Graham. Far more important, in my mind, will be having a healthy team next season, adding a few key pieces (like Hawk and MJ), and developing the young players that we currently have. We need AJ to play in the playoff game. We need Marvin Jones. We need Tyler Eifert. we need Burfict. We need Geno Atkins to be back to his old self. We need our first-round corners to finally emerge, especially now that Newman is gone. We need Jeremy Hill and Gio to be utilized well. We need Bodine to take a step forward. All of these things are more important to me than getting Nick Fairley.

They are an OK team with biog holes. See to my thinking, thye could have cut Hall and made a play for Browner AND STILL SAVED MONEY, while more than offsetting the loss of Newman and Hall. I think it' this kind of asymmetric thinking they management lacks. Can you imagine anyone complaining over that kind of a deal? Gives the team insurance in case kirk or Dennard ends up struggling. Big picture deals, big moves, go for it!

Pass Rush, uncertainty about some Offensive weapons. I agree that the items you site are keys but doing nothing to address the pass rush/D-line, when the opportunity (budget and payers) and this is a lost opportunity in my view, so far. I also will cite again the seemingly poorly handled contract situation with Ahll does not sit right. He's not an elite CB, he will more than likely not get back to a level that justifies the elite level contract he'll be paid is just a big lost opportunity to use those funds in a manner that improves the team in a a meaningful way. Dpeth, higher quality depth at WR, TE, DE, DT, LB, QB... its a long list here of areas where the roster depth/quality can improve and as it stands there is almost $10M tied up on a now very average CB who won't be starting in my view. To me, that is mismanagement. %5M on Fairley, 3-4 on Fasano, $2-3 on Harry Douglas or Hakeen Nicks.. wouldn't be a bad start, huh? Over paying for FNR when it did not appear he was an in demand player seems odd considering. I think they overpaid by a couple Mill for FNR for 2015.

And while people get sick of hearing about needing money for upcoming years, there's no denying that 2016 is going to SUCK. We're going to bleed some players that year. The way the Bengals have set things up, though, they should be better set up to handle it than a lot of other teams around the league.

WIth 2016 looming, that's all the more reason to get bold now and take a shot at it with the current talent on th roster. The window will just about close after 2016. I hink w can all agree there ill be massive churn or 2017 season roster.

SO now with Hawk, Boling/FN/Lamur and Nuge back (and maybe still getting MJ back), they've not totally ignored their jobs, they just have not maximized what i though was a huge chance to improve the team and have a serious handle on hings pre-draft. Especially with ML on the record saying "Change" was coming. Kind of a blown chance to manage expectations, to me.

WHO-DEY