Bengals Re-Sign Rey Maualuga

HoosierCat

One less thing to be concerned with.

Heading into the next couple seasons, MLB won't be a "huge" concern.

If he manages to stay healthier than not, i'm good with the money.

His run stopping was missed when he was out last year and made a big impact upon his return.

I'm good. Next....

Per Hobs just now it's "believed" to average $5 million a year, so 3 years, $15 million.

That's a little rich.

But it's in line with a team that seems wiling to pay almost $10M/yr for Leon Hall.

I don't get it. Get can do the job but wouldn't this money be byte used on a pass rusher? There are plenty of less expensive MIKE backers out there who may be more versatile and younger...

Whatever....

I'm fine with bringing him back since I'd rather fill in, not open up, holes ahead of FA and the draft.

So I guess we won't be taking a LB with the 1st round pick in the draft - which is something the Bengals don't like to do - perhaps Lineman or a WR is the 21st pick

I'm good with Maualuga signing, keeps the ship on a steady keel and the D is better vs the run with him in there than not

So I guess we won't be taking a LB with the 1st round pick in the draft

I guess it all depends on how someone views the LB corps, along with the players available.

I personally look at the thoughts of a first round LB being used on an OLB, so the re-signing of FNR doesn't impact that thought.

Some feel there isn't an OLB worth the #21 pick and some (me at times) think a guy like Shaq Thompson from Washington would be a nice fit with both Rey and Burfict, assuming he's back 100%. To that last point, if Burfict isn't back, I think it makes an OLB even more likely in the early rounds.

Yeah, I doubt this has a big impact on whether or not they target an OLB in the draft. As mentioned Burfict is a ??? and Lamur didn't cover himself in glory last season.

To me, the signing suggests a couple things: First, that FNR was the first guy resigned, as opposed to Boling, suggests they are more comfortable with the draft and/or their existing depth at OL.

Second, the size of the contract as so far reported suggests that league-wide pressure to hit the 89% spending floor by 2016 is going to inflate prices even more than usual this year and next. If they felt the need to give $5 million a year to a two-down run-stuffer who can't cover worth doody, I shudder to imagine what Boling will be offered.

Of course, the Cincy FO could have severely misread the market, we'll see.

Numbers finally coming out.

/>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/rey-maualuga/

3 years, $15 million, $4.5 million guaranteed. I would bet that most of that guaranteed coin is front-loaded. So he could be cut and free up space as soon as 2016.

Numbers finally coming out.

/>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/rey-maualuga/

3 years, $15 million, $4.5 million guaranteed. I would bet that most of that guaranteed coin is front-loaded. So he could be cut and free up space as soon as 2016.

I feel a bit better about this, considering FNR's injury history. No sense loading him up With guarantees if his knee blows up.

I'm fine with bringing him back since I'd rather fill in, not open up, holes ahead of FA and the draft.

So I guess we won't be taking a LB with the 1st round pick in the draft - which is something the Bengals don't like to do - perhaps Lineman or a WR is the 21st pick

I'm good with Maualuga signing, keeps the ship on a steady keel and the D is better vs the run with him in there than not

Pollack & rivers ? We all know Marvin is a lb whore at heart after cb

Pollack & rivers ? We all know Marvin is a lb whore at heart after cb

These are the LBs drafted under Marvin Lewis's watch:-

Marquis Flowers - 2014 - 6th Round

Sean Porter - 2013 - 4th Round

Rod Muckleroy - 2010 - 4th Round

Rey Maualuga - 2009 - 2nd Round

Angelo Craig - 2008 - 7th Round

KEITH RIVERS - 2008 - 1ST ROUND

A.J. Nicholson - 2006 - 5th Round

DAVID POLLACK - 2005 - 1ST ROUND

Odell Thurman - 2005 - 2nd Round

Landon Johnson - 2004 - 3rd Round

Caleb Miller - 2004 - 3rd Round

Khalid Abdullah - 2003 - 5th Round

1st Round draft picks under Lewis =

Defensive Backs 4

LBs, Tight Ends, Offensive Line 2

QBS, WR, RBs 1

@corryjoel: Rey Maualuga's salaries w/his 3-year, $15M deal are $7.2M in 2015, $4.1M in 2016 & $3.7M in 2017. $4.5M of '15 money is a 3/11 roster bonus.

So FNR actually has a $7.2 million cap hit this year. Ye gods. That tells me they aren't going to be active beyond the usual bottom feeding.

@corryjoel: Rey Maualuga's salaries w/his 3-year, $15M deal are $7.2M in 2015, $4.1M in 2016 & $3.7M in 2017. $4.5M of '15 money is a 3/11 roster bonus.

So FNR actually has a $7.2 million cap hit this year. Ye gods. That tells me they aren't going to be active beyond the usual bottom feeding.

This is similar to what the Jets gave Harris, who is a superior Lb by almost any measure.

I didn'r Ave any expectations they go after Harris but for the money, the guy was out there. Juts saying....