Bengals Re-Sign Rey Maualuga

HoosierCat

@corryjoel: Rey Maualuga's salaries w/his 3-year, $15M deal are $7.2M in 2015, $4.1M in 2016 & $3.7M in 2017. $4.5M of '15 money is a 3/11 roster bonus.

So FNR actually has a $7.2 million cap hit this year. Ye gods. That tells me they aren't going to be active beyond the usual bottom feeding.

How stupid! Thought things were changing, well guess will see it when it happens

Yea if they would change I will be very suprised. You would though after failing to win a playoff game in 4 years they would change something. There are some good players out there right now who could help this team win, and ill be suprised to see if they even call them.

I wouldn't have minded the Rey move if it was structured differently, but to me this was a waste for the money this year. The rest of the contract looks ok, but this year is just stupid.

I don't think they're afraid. They just don't want to. Being a serious player in free agency would require The Family to tap its own chunk of shared revenues, and any of their money that isn't in their bank account isn't earning anything for them. "Pay as you go" remains the order of the day. So they dump as much of the hit into the current year as they can, and Hobs is probably already dusting off his "they aren't cheap they spend to the cap every year" BS again.

In short, no change.

If Hall emerges from this period unscathed, it will signal that the Bengals are unwilling to make the tough choices needed to get the team over the hump. ND if so that will be sad because the window closes this much further.

They need to improve the pass rush and D line, not be stuck paying elite money for a very average corner.

I just don't get it.

If Hall emerges from this period unscathed, it will signal that the Bengals are unwilling to make the tough choices needed

Or that the Bengals organisation are being true to their word in honouring a contract that they, as well as the player, signed.

Hall will know he's being paid above what his performance demands but why should he volunteer a paycut?

Would you drop your coin if your boss came to you and said "hey bud, we know you got injured at work but your not performing as well lately so we're going to half your salary - but its for the good of the company overall" ??

If Hall isn't willing to restructure then the Bengals have to release him to save the $ and then they have to go out and fill that hole. The Bengals are probably looking at it from the viewpoint that

A) He got injured playing for the team.

B ) Hall can play at a high level and may just need more time to recover .

C) Both parties signed the current contract in good faith.

D) They have to start spending the cap this year or next, or both to hit the 89% over 4 years rule.

Just another example of how your job isn't like that of an NFL player.

Peyton Manning just took a $4 million pay cut in Denver. Even the best get haircuts when their skills decline.

Before we start going on about how noble the organization is for fully honoring contracts, let's note they just wadded Geathers' contract up and threw it in the trash. He won't be getting the $3 million promised him this year.

As for roster holes, this is actually the one spot they don't have to rush out and fill since they have 2 first round corners sitting on the bench.

If Hall emerges from this period unscathed, it will signal that the Bengals are unwilling to make the tough choices needed

Or that the Bengals organisation are being true to their word in honouring a contract that they, as well as the player, signed.

Hall will know he's being paid above what his performance demands but why should he volunteer a paycut?

Would you drop your coin if your boss came to you and said "hey bud, we know you got injured at work but your not performing as well lately so we're going to half your salary - but its for the good of the company overall" ??

If Hall isn't willing to restructure then the Bengals have to release him to save the $ and then they have to go out and fill that hole. The Bengals are probably looking at it from the viewpoint that

A) He got injured playing for the team.

B ) Hall can play at a high level and may just need more time to recover .

C) Both parties signed the current contract in good faith.

D) They have to start spending the cap this year or next, or both to hit the 89% over 4 years rule.

I'm not suggest Hall raise his hand and volunteer to take a payment. I'm suggesting they simply cut him and quit diddling with the whole situation.

He is not worth the money, he's very damaged goods, and they have enough talent stashed for just this exact situation. How/when he got injured is really immaterial, as they continued to. Pay him fully through lol the. Injury and recovery, while They got nothing from him.

To your example if my boss came to me, most would agree that staying employed even at a lesser scary would be more desirable to being let go outright. Especially if it was justifiable.

It seems they simply lack the will to take the needed steps, despite all the talk of change.

How/when he got injured is really immaterial, as they continued to pay him fully through the. Injury and recovery, while they got nothing from him.

Actually that's a very valid point Willy.

If they cut Hall (and I would be surprised if he took a voluntary paycut (contract renegotiation) to bring him down to his worth then do they really need to secure another starting CB or are Dennard and Kirkpatrick capable of doing that role now?

If they don't need a starter then surely a FA vet back-up could be found or even a future player via the draft..... and hey presto - cap space saved to get an impact starter where we need one.

giljotiini.gif

Again, I simply don't think it takes much to see what's happening here.

You have Hall, while serviceable, isn't worth near the almost 10 he counts against the cap this season.

You also have two younger first round CB's sitting there, who haven't gotten snaps.

While I understand some of that was due to Newman being here, but that's no longer the case and Hall is making more.

He either should be asked to restructure or simply let go.

Problem is, this team rarely does that and probably won't in this situation either.

STUPID.

• 1 month later...

Re Hall, probably worth noting these numbers Josh put up recently:

/>https://twitter.com/josh_kirkendall/status/589914017029840896

Easily our worst CB last season. That giant paycheck will be impossible to justify unless he really steps it up.