Eagles TE James Casey to Visit

HoosierCat

Let free agency commence!

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/2/26/8115409/james-casey-visiting-bengals-broncos-brown

According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, free agent tight end James Casey is scheduled to visit the Bengals, among several other teams. Casey has already visited or is scheduled to visit with the Titans, Browns, Broncos and Cardinals.

The six-year veteran played in all 16 games for the Philadelphia Eagles last season at tight end, starting in two of them, while grabbing three passes for 59 yards and two touchdowns.

Casey signed a three-year, $12 million deal in 2012 after playing more of an H-back role with the Houston Texans. However, Philadelphia had Brent Celek and later drafted Zach Ertz, which prevented Casey from ever seeing consistent playing time on their offense, catching just six balls for 90 yards and two scores over his two seasons there.

Despite his limited playing time, Casey was actually a solid run-blocker in Philly, registering a 3.9 run-blocking grade in 173 snaps this past year, per Pro Football Focus. During his final in year in Houston Casey caught 34 passes for 330 yards and had three scores as an h-back with Owen Daniels starting at tight end.

There's only a couple of tight ends on the open market that are good run-blockers and receiving threats. That's what Casey is, and he'd be a great fit in Cincinnati.

Sounds like it would be an ideal fit, but would the Bengals get involved in a five-team bidding war? (spoiler: doubtful)

IF by any chance he did sign with the Bengals how would that affect Hewitt ?? Seems to be the same role as he performs for us.

The coaches have been pretty firm in wanting to keep Hewitt primarily in the FB role. They shot down the idea of putting him at TE full time earlier in the offseason. They could try to double-dip and make him the No. 3 TE on the depth chart but clearly want to sign or draft a replacement for Jermaine.

But it's all almost certainly moot. Casey will also visit Washington according to the team's official site, so that's six teams including $nyderbrenner's coming after him. I would estimate the Bengals chances' of being his final destination at approximately 0.00%.

The coaches have been pretty firm in wanting to keep Hewitt primarily in the FB role. They shot down the idea of putting him at TE full time earlier in the offseason. They could try to double-dip and make him the No. 3 TE on the depth chart but clearly want to sign or draft a replacement for Jermaine.

But it's all almost certainly moot. Casey will also visit Washington according to the team's official site, so that's six teams including $nyderbrenner's coming after him. I would estimate the Bengals chances' of being his final destination at approximately 0.00%.

Washington already has TE covered for them don't they.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone but i couldn't name you a DC TE off the top of my head.

Speaking of TEs, The Villain says "his heart is in Cincinnati."

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-news/2015/2/27/8121115/bengals-jermaine-gresham-my-heart-is-in-cincinnati-i-want-to-stay-there-free-agency-2015

Nice cartoon, walrus! Though I think that's more of the old Bengals versus today. No rea need for leverage when teams around the league have to lay out massive bucks over the next two seasons in order to hit the 89% spending figure required by the CBA.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/2/26/8116539/bengals-need-to-spend-226-2-million-over-the-next-two-years

The Bengals have to spend $226 million this year and next to be in compliance, and they are in the lower half of the league in terms of what has to be spent. (Note that's total spend and a lot has already been allocated; I think they have about $80 million left they have to lay out in 2015-16.)

Bottom line is that prices are going to be insane.

Hobson is thinking maybe ex chief Fasano, the bengals liked him when he was coming out in the draft. So only time will tell which way they go.

Fasano is another kick the tires guy. He didn't work out in KC but was injured in 2013 and slowed by that last season. If he's heathy and in shape he could be an asset.

Hobson is thinking maybe ex chief Fasano, the bengals liked him when he was coming out in the draft. So only time will tell which way they go.

Fasano is 30 and has a lot of miles on his frame, but if he would be willing to come here for parttime pay and parttime play (ala Alex Smith, only hopefully more durable than Alex) I wouldnt be opposed to it

But I'd *MUCH* rather have the above average younger guy

Army is right. Jermaine killed us in the Texans playoff game. Cincy Jungle is reporting that Gresham only dropped 1 catchable ball in 2014.

He is polarizing for sure. For the right price I still think the Bengals won't find another dual-threat TE this offseason. That Casey guy has potential but I think a safer bet is better. I really don't think Hewitt is viable. Any one else care to chime in?

Here's a thought... What other player on the roster could be rated similar to Gresham in terms of production and potential? Any position.... I'm thinking Sanu or dalton. For sake of argument, no player below third round pick. I say that because the expectations for Jermaine were very high out of college.

Army is right. Jermaine killed us in the Texans playoff game. Cincy Jungle is reporting that Gresham only dropped 1 catchable ball in 2014.

He is polarizing for sure. For the right price I still think the Bengals won't find another dual-threat TE this offseason. That Casey guy has potential but I think a safer bet is better. I really don't think Hewitt is viable. Any one else care to chime in?

Hewitt didn't play as a pass-catching TE, he played primarily as a run blocking TE and I thought he did an outstanding job at that.

Gresham as a pass catcher is inconsistent (no idea how CJ came up with just 1 dropped catchable pass), as a run blocker he is good .... but all the positives are negated by way of senseless penalties for false starts, offsides etc

My question about Gresham is this. Clearly he is a good player on your average Sunday. But in big games he always seems to come up small, as Army's reference to the first playoff game points out.

But the same can be said for the whole team, starting most famously with Dalton.

So, is Jermaine really an underachiever, or are his struggles symptomatic of the larger "bright lights meltdown" problem the team has?

My question about Gresham is this. Clearly he is a good player on your average Sunday. But in big games he always seems to come up small, as Army's reference to the first playoff game points out.

But the same can be said for the whole team, starting most famously with Dalton.

So, is Jermaine really an underachiever, or are his struggles symptomatic of the larger "bright lights meltdown" problem the team has?

I hear ya Hoosier but it just isn't in the big / play-off games that he disappears (as does the team in general). Its in the week-to-week games that he makes the stupid penalty plays. Perhaps it's just more noticeable because its Gresham and folk are taking note of HIS penalties more than any other player I don't know.

Colour me uninterested if he walks.

The big lights meltdown we see with The team used to occur on the defensive side in the Palmer era. Now, they occur on both sides of the ball. I used to blame Bresnehan and Bratowski (and almost every defensive player back then ) Now I am not sure who to blame.

Clearly he is a good player on your average Sunday and I will agree with that. I've mentioned numerous times that I believe him to be an above average blocker as well. For me, it's just not the big game though. It's what appears to be an undisciplined approach to the game and the mindless penalties that you wouldn't expect to come from him. It's the attitude he gives off and while having the ability to take over games, he never does. You see it on one play, he gets all fired up, does a little dance, and then disappears. I'm more than willing to admit there's more to it than what I see, but what I have seen to this point leads me to not caring to see anymore. Jermaine is part of the problem.

He may very well go to another team and do great for them and I actually hope that happens for him.

I just don't think he's ever lived up to that first round selection.

I completely agree that Gresham never lived up to his billing. But again, I see the same thing in other first round selections. AJ Green is a great wide receiver, but his rookie year was arguably his best year. He's never really taken that next step up to elite. Moobs has played like an elite RT at times, but not consistently. Dre, Dennard and Eifert are all the the "who knows?" category.

I guess it goes back to something that's bugged me for years: the Bengals seem to do a pretty good job of developing mid- to late-round guys. But the guys at the top of the draft never seem to get much better. I used to blame that on a lack of coaching resources but that doesn't seem to be an issue any more. But the pattern persists

And maybe that has something to do with why they melt under the lights, why the guys who are supposed to be the difference-makers aren't. I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

Anyhow, Gresham. Yes, let him walk. A change is probably best for both sides at this point.