Is our team ever going to get over that hump?

combatbengal

You know, I look back at that last game and wonder if we have the right players to get us over that hump. Are they really dedicated? Do they really want to win or are they just in it for the pay check? Is it all just talk? Why am I thinking this way? We have a playoff game and we have players they can't or won't play! AJ Green doesn't play yet he plays in the pro bowl! And yes I know the NFL has protocols for concussions! Gresham doesn't play! Two big key players that could have made a difference in that game; yet they didn't play! Then we look at the Seahawks; Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor all injured and yet they didn't let anything keep them from playing in the Super Bowl. Yea I know the Super Bowl is a different game than the first round wild card game.... But come on man! Earl Thomas played in the Super Bowl with a fully torn shoulder labrum - that is dedication and a team player! Sherman played with a torn left elbow ligament! Chancellor played with a torn MCL and bone bruise! I'm wishing we had players with that type of drive and compassion playing for us. Would I want to see them play at the beginning of the season with some of those injuries? No, In the playoffs, yes! So, come on, let me have it, tell me how stupid I am to want players playing injured or players with compassion, desire.... Oh and By the way, I for one hope Gresham is gone next season. The guy, when he actually plays, either fumbles or gets a 15 yard penalty every game! He's more of a problem and hindrance than an asset!

Guys play hurt all the time and you only hear about it after. In the playoff game against SD Zeitler was playing with a broken foot, which few people seem to know, and Whit of course was hobbling on a bum knee. Green played much of last year with a foot injury. Even Gresham was playing hurt in the last game against Pitt; he looked like he broke about six things on that TD catch.

And I'm not going to fault the Bengals for following concussion rules, unlike the Cheatriots and Shitsburgh.

Hey, I'm not questioning weather these guys were hurt or not. Football is a brutal sport and it takes a toll on your body. My thing is, there are other players that do what ever they can to play in important games. I hate the Steelers but it takes an act of Congress to get Ben out of the game! Army, how many times did you take yourself out of a forced road march because your feet were sore, or because you had a stain muscle, or bleeding blisters on your feet? None I bet because you knew what it took to complete the mission! I've seen Soldiers throw away slings, cut off cast so they could go on a mission with their buddies; they knew what being part of a team meant! Like I said, if it were a regular season game, I wouldn't have minded them resting. But this was a playoff game, you lose you're out, no second chances, no next week. Every member of them team has to go all out. Now if it was a server injury, then don't play!

Hey, I'm not questioning weather these guys were hurt or not. Football is a brutal sport and it takes a toll on your body. My thing is, there are other players that do what ever they can to play in important games. I hate the Steelers but it takes an act of Congress to get Ben out of the game! Army, how many times did you take yourself out of a forced road march because your feet were sore, or because you had a stain muscle, or bleeding blisters on your feet? None I bet because you knew what it took to complete the mission! I've seen Soldiers throw away slings, cut off cast so they could go on a mission with their buddies; they knew what being part of a team meant! Like I said, if it were a regular season game, I wouldn't have minded them resting. But this was a playoff game, you lose you're out, no second chances, no next week. Every member of them team has to go all out. Now if it was a server injury, then don't play!

Yes injuries happen and it's part of football, however, I wonder how many teams, in 2014, had 3 or more major starting players out for the whole year? (a la Jones, Eifert, and Burfict)

I'm too lazy to research it.

Also, Dalton had 33 TD passes last year. 10 were to Jones, 1 to Eifert. Take those 11 out and take the number of games Green was out and adjust his TD numbers accordingly, you're probably looking at, at least, 15 TDS lost in 2014.

So...Ryan Tannehill.

23-25 record. 0 winning seasons. 0 playoff appearances. 0 playoff wins.

One hundred and five MILLION dollar contract.

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2359264-ryan-tannehill-contract-latest-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-dolphins

if this is true, I am happy for my brother, I personally think Tannehill is better than Dalton

So...Ryan Tannehill.

23-25 record. 0 winning seasons. 0 playoff appearances. 0 playoff wins.

One hundred and five MILLION dollar contract.

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2359264-ryan-tannehill-contract-latest-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-dolphins

if this is true, I am happy for my brother, I personally think Tannehill is better than Dalton

Is it really about the teams anymore?

IF, the Dolphin fans support the contract, I find it ironic that they do, even though he has a losing record and 0 playoff appearances.

The irony in that, is that you also have a QB (Dalton) who has a 40-23-1 record with 4 playoff appearances, that most Bengals fans think he's an overpaid bum!

I guess good for him and the Dolphins if it actually goes down ??

I don't really keep up with them or what their fans say, but they would probably like the structure much like Dalton's.

It seems like there are two camps. One is pretty much convinced Tannehill is the next Dan Marino, so they are thrilled by the news. The other would have preferred to let him play another year under his current contract and see if he can actually get the team into the postseason, but they're OK with this as long as it's a Dalton/Kap style deal.

On a side note, according to Dolphins fans, Tannehill is 110 times better than Dalton because mumble mumble. :lol:

The irony in that, is that you also have a QB (Dalton) who has a 40-23-1 record with 4 playoff appearances, that most Bengals fans think he's an overpaid bum!

That's my point. You can make strong cases that neither player deserves a $100 million+ deal, but the reality is that this is how it is in the NFL today. If you have a QB who is even marginally competent, they get paid, because right now at least, the total number of elite + good + competent QBs in the NFL is significantly less than 32.

On a side note, according to Dolphins fans, Tannehill is 110 times better than Dalton because mumble mumble. :lol:

I'm sure there are plenty of people that may think that, but I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption.

He may be better than Dalton, but not to such a degree that he deserves some outlandish Cutler type of deal.

If he were, they wouldn't be talking about a deal they can walk away from in two years.

Green should be fine. Jones seems to be coming along.

I dunno about Geno. I think he's better in 2015 but whether he regains his "old" form..well, it isn't something I would be counting on. (And even if he does the rest of the DT corps is a mess. It will need to be addressed.)

Eifert? Who knows.

And then there's Vontaze. Sadly I think he's broken. He's a gimpy concussion factory now. It totally sucks for him and for us. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Green should be fine. Jones seems to be coming along.

I dunno about Geno. I think he's better in 2015 but whether he regains his "old" form..well, it isn't something I would be counting on. (And even if he does the rest of the DT corps is a mess. It will need to be addressed.)

Eifert? Who knows.

And then there's Vontaze. Sadly I think he's broken. He's a gimpy concussion factory now. It totally sucks for him and for us. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm on the same page about Burfict and would love to be wrong. Such a shame, but I feel like he's going to be the Bengals modern day defensive version of Greg Cook.

So sad, because him at 100% is the QB of a top 5 defense and with their offense, they don't need a 2000 Ravens ranked defense to make it happen.

Marvin word salad at its finest, from da site:

“We’re changing a lot. You know I’m not going to tell you what we’re changing,” he said with characteristic mystery. “We always change scheme. You always change scheme. You change scheme. You change how you do it. You change how you do things. You change things and you get better at things. We have to get better. It’s not one thing of we’ve got to do this. Oh no, we’ve got to do everything better.”

So to be clear, they are changing things, because things change, and those changes bring about other changes that would indicate a need for change. When those changes are understood, changes naturally are going to occur which could lead to future changes and we need to do it better.

I think that's correct. Glad to be be brought up to speed.

CLEAR AS MUD