Super Bore Thread

HoosierCat

I caught a few plays when I took a break from homework in the first half, saw a bit of the halftime show (wish I hadn't), and then woke up to go to the bathroom and caught the last handful of plays to end it. I have no idea what the Seahawks were thinking there. What did they see that made them feel that throwing a slant from the half yard line, as opposed to giving it to beastmode, was the better play call ??

The Seahawks looked confused after the play that got them to that point and it was almost as if they expected the Pats to call a timeout, but it never came. You can blame the throw by Wilson or the effort by the wideout Lockette, but why that call ?? Don't get me wrong, there's no guarantee that Lynch carries for the TD, but you have to think that the odds of that play being successful are far greater than throwing a slant in all that congestion.

Someone (can't remember who) said something (can't remember exactly what) along the lines of, 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 aren't good.

That's a tough play to swallow if you are a Seahawks fan for sure.

The irony of this was a very similar scenario in 1981. I know Pete Johnson is no Lynch, but he was pretty reliable down on the goal line, and the Bengals never tried anything but Pete on all four downs, if I remember correctly. I was thinking bootleg or a pass after the first two tries. That goal line stance by the 49ers was a game changer.

I thought alexander ran it at least once on that series.

It was a pass for no gain.

That goal line stand was a killer but it was the two red zone turnovers in the first half that did them in imo.

So Johnson went 3 instead of 4. Turnovers have always plagued this franchise. It's not just the Lewis era.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's not just turnovers. Sometimes in the playoffs I feel like I've been watching the same game for nearly 40 years. Take the game we're talking about. Here's Kennys numbers from the first half:

8/14/83/0/1

Of those 8 completions only about two were longer than 8 yards and the longest, a 19 yard grab down to the SF 9, was promptly fumbled away by that azzhole on MNF.

Dalton? Been watching him all my life.

And it's not just turnovers. Sometimes in the playoffs I feel like I've been watching the same game for nearly 40 years. Take the game we're talking about. Here's Kennys numbers from the first half:

8/14/83/0/1

Of those 8 completions only about two were longer than 8 yards and the longest, a 19 yard grab down to the SF 9, was promptly fumbled away by that azzhole on MNF.

Here's another scenario. I was watching Brady work last night, he's dinking and dunking here and there, most of the night, and most every time it was for decent yardage, and first downs.

Now 90% of those plays appear to be designed plays. In other words, it wasn't Brady looking off and throwing the dink or dunk. He wasn't trying to fool anybody.

Yet, it seems when the Bengals try the same plays, it's almost always for little or no yardage, or a loss.

There's definitely a breakdown somewhere, not sure where or why.

8/14/83/0/1

Irony is, Anderson won MVP in 1981

8/14/83/0/1

Here's another scenario. I was watching Brady work last night, he's dinking and dunking here and there, most of the night, and most every time it was for decent yardage, and first downs.

Now 90% of those plays appear to be designed plays. In other words, it wasn't Brady looking off and throwing the dink or dunk. He wasn't trying to fool anybody.

Yet, it seems when the Bengals try the same plays, it's almost always for little or no yardage, or a loss.

I think one big reason is Dalton does not have the arm, poise or the ability to read the way Brady does.

Dalton is twitchy and his arm, while certainly good enough to start in the NFL, isn't on the level of guys like Brady or Rogers (I mean, not many are)

Edit to add, it's kind of an unfair comparison to watch NE and then wonder why Dalton and co are not consistently on that level. Few are. If anything, it shows the critical need for your QB to be above avg. (NFL avg, that is).

8/14/83/0/1

I think one big reason is Dalton does not have the arm, poise or the ability to read the way Brady does.

Dalton is twitchy and his arm, while certainly good enough to start in the NFL, isn't on the level of guys like Brady or Rogers (I mean, not many are)

Edit to add, it's kind of an unfair comparison to watch NE and then wonder why Dalton and co are not consistently on that level. Few are. If anything, it shows the critical need for your QB to be above avg. (NFL avg, that is).

That's not what I mean king. Dalton gets the ball there fine, but, most of the time nothing develops afterward. There were times last night when there was no one near the receiver after the catch on those screens and sideline throws. That's not on Dalton. Like I said before, most of those weren't check downs. They were designed plays where Brady threw right away.

8/14/83/0/1

That's not what I mean king. Dalton gets the ball there fine, but, most of the time nothing develops afterward. There were times last night when there was no one near the receiver after the catch on those screens and sideline throws. That's not on Dalton. Like I said before, most of those weren't check downs. They were designed plays where Brady threw right away.

Brady reads his progressions from the snap so fast, the route combinations present him with a way to find and throw to the mismatch once the ball is snapped. From what we've seen of Dalton, he does not seem to process as fast. Another function is Brady's arm. He can pull the triggger a hair later and get it to the opening just that hair quicker, which is another thing Dalton can't match.

That was my point.

If you are referring to the YAC, or making more out of the short range throws, I would agree that Edelman is a very good flanker. So much so that the Patriots let Welker walk. Gronk is gronk but after that, NE does not have such a great group. Lafell is average, Amendola is a nice #3 but is limited. If anything, Brady clearly didn't have the players to stretch the field, which makes the result so impressive.

In fact, netiher SB teams had what most would consider Elite wideouts.

IMHO, Dalton's improvement can only come via two things: better talent and better poise/processing - hopefully both happening concurrently.

Brady reads his progressions from the snap so fast, the route combinations present him with a way to find and throw to the mismatch once the ball is snapped. From what we've seen of Dalton, he does not seem to process as fast.

The Bengals passing offense isn't a progressions-based system. Everything is based on the pre-snap read. The only thing Dalton is looking at post-snap is whether he made the right read on what defense the other team is in. Who the ball is going to was already determined with that pre-snap read and as long as the D does what he thinks it will, that's where it goes.

In short, Andy isn't looking for an open man, he's looking for the guy he's supposed to hit. That's why fewer of his passes seem to go to guys who are more open.

I wonder if that is a product of what Dalton ran when he was at TCU ?? He came from a spread type of offense and while I can recall everyone talking about his leadership, I don't remember anyone talking about his athletic ability. I remember reading where most thought he was just a piece of the puzzle at TCU. I will go back and see if I can find where that was. It's been a while.

All that aside, he has a running game now (or properly used running game), a top WR although the rest need to get healthy, and a line that kept him off his back for a good portion of the season. He seemingly has the things that he needs to be successful, but they have fallen short. I still don't put all of that on him though. Other players have played a huge part in the post season failures that have plagued this team.

Anyway, my point is that it's silly to try to compare him to any of the QB's in the league that are thought to come close to the "elite" label. He's not Rodgers, Brady, or Manning and more than likely never will be. Looking at that list of QB's that have won Super Bowls, he may not need to be if the Bengals could simply find a way to stay healthy and get everyone on the same page and step up.

This is an article I recall reading about the type of offense TCU ran and thoughts on Dalton at the time.

The first two question and answers are the ones I am referring to.

Take it how you like, it was something I recall from a while ago.

/>http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2010/12/23/1894159/get-to-know-tcu-part-3-when-tcu-has-the-ball

I wonder if that is a product of what Dalton ran when he was at TCU ??

Nah, it's a product of Jay Gruden. It's the basis of his offensive scheme, which the Bengals are still running with a few "Hue" tweaks. You can find plenty of examples of people talking about how part of RG3's struggles last season were about him not being able to read the defense pre-snap correctly or quickly enough.

This is where Dalton's strength lies: reading the defense and getting the ball out. It's why he's so effective versus the blitz, to the point where defenses regularly dial blitzes down.

The challenge comes when he either misreads the D pre-snap or they do something unexpected post-snap. In the first two years, when this happened he was generally instructed to just throw it away and move on to the next play. Then in 2013, as you may recall, all the talk before the season was about how Andy needed to make more plays when things broke down. So now he was supposed to run around and try to be Big Ben. That led to a lot more TDs, but also a lot more picks. So they dialed it back in 2014.

There are IMO several reasons why they struggle in these situations. Dalton's height is an issue since it limits his vision downfield. The o-line is over-rated as a pass-blocking unit. It looks better than it is due to the quick-release nature of the offense. There also seems to me to be a built-in lack of dump-off or check-down options. After all, if you are supposed to determine the throw before the snap, what's the point of a check-down guy? (I'm expressing that badly but I hope you get my drift.)

At the end of the day I suspect that the Bengals have taken this style of offense about as far as they're going to. Butter talent would always help but how many times have we watched a play where Dalton throw to the covered guy when someone else is wide open on the other side of the field, but Dalton never looks that way (because the play was predetermined to go to that other guy pre-snap)? Good defenses are already reading the tendencies in this system and I expect situations like that are only going to become more common.

I wonder if that is a product of what Dalton ran when he was at TCU ?? He came from a spread type of offense and while I can recall everyone talking about his leadership, I don't remember anyone talking about his athletic ability. I remember reading where most thought he was just a piece of the puzzle at TCU. I will go back and see if I can find where that was. It's been a while.

All that aside, he has a running game now (or properly used running game), a top WR although the rest need to get healthy, and a line that kept him off his back for a good portion of the season. He seemingly has the things that he needs to be successful, but they have fallen short. I still don't put all of that on him though. Other players have played a huge part in the post season failures that have plagued this team.

Anyway, my point is that it's silly to try to compare him to any of the QB's in the league that are thought to come close to the "elite" label. He's not Rodgers, Brady, or Manning and more than likely never will be. Looking at that list of QB's that have won Super Bowls, he may not need to be if the Bengals could simply find a way to stay healthy and get everyone on the same page and step up.

To me, it comes down to one question:

What has a better chance of happening, a QB like Dalton winning a SB (in the mode of a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson) or the Bengals finding the next elite QB who can carry them to a SB (in mode of a Brees, Rogers, or Brady)?

Since they currently have Dalton, you go to war with the Army you've got. As such, all Bengals fans hope he can progress and maybe just maybe strike the timing of an elite D, with power running and smart passing game to deliver a SB. So, until some next "elite" potential guy lands in their lap or can be targeted in some fashion, they have a better chance of winning a SB with Dalton than a guy who is not there.

What has a better chance of happening, a QB like Dalton winning a SB (in the mode of a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson) or the Bengals finding the next elite QB who can carry them to a SB (in mode of a Brees, Rogers, or Brady)?

Since they currently have Dalton, you go to war with the Army you've got. As such, all Bengals fans hope he can progress and maybe just maybe strike the timing of an elite D, with power running and smart passing game to deliver a SB. So, until some next "elite" potential guy lands in their lap or can be targeted in some fashion, they have a better chance of winning a SB with Dalton than a guy who is not there.

I think they can get there with Dalton. Dilfer and Johnson weren't the only 2. There have been about 15 QBS in the likes of them and about 20 SBS if you count Bradshaw's 4.

They have the running game now, if they can just sure up the defense.

I think they can get there with Dalton. Dilfer and Johnson weren't the only 2. There have been about 15 QBS in the likes of them and about 20 SBS if you count Bradshaw's 4.

come now, comparing Dalton to Bradshaw... I see the comparison as far as personnel and emphasis but man-to-man, Dalton can't hold Bradshaw's jock.

come now, comparing Dalton to Bradshaw... I see the comparison as far as personnel and emphasis but man-to-man, Dalton can't hold Bradshaw's jock.

I'm not comparing Dalton to ANY of those guys. Until I Googled the list of the worst QBS to ever win a SB, I had forgotten some of those names, including Joe Namath.

Not sure how old you are king, but Bradshaw is the old day Eli Manning. Chuck Knoll kept switching out him, Hanratty, and Gilliam during season play in the 70s trying to decide his number one, because they were all inconsistent. Bradshaw got hot at playoff time and had one of, if not THE best receiver tandem in Swann/Stallworth, one of the best RB tandems in Harris and Blier, and the greatest defense in the history of the game.

The list includes MacMahon, Rypien, Stabler, Flacco, E. Manning, Williams, Hostetler, Russell Wilson (I think this is premature), Simms, Theismann, Bradshaw, Dilfer, Johnson, Joe Namath, and Plunkett.

I'm not comparing Dalton to ANY of those guys. Until I Googled the list of the worst QBS to ever win a SB, I had forgotten some of those names, including Joe Namath.

Not sure how old you are king, but Bradshaw is the old day Eli Manning. Chuck Knoll kept switching out him, Hanratty, and Gilliam during season play in the 70s trying to decide his number one, because they were all inconsistent. Bradshaw got hot at playoff time and had one of, if not THE best receiver tandem in Swann/Stallworth, one of the best RB tandems in Harris and Blier, and the greatest defense in the history of the game.

The list includes MacMahon, Rypien, Stabler, Flacco, E. Manning, Williams, Hostetler, Russell Wilson (I think this is premature), Simms, Theismann, Bradshaw, Dilfer, Johnson, and Plunkett.

We did this same discussion in another thread. And I agree in general, that Dalton has a chance to lead this group into SB contention. Window is closing though, and unless he becomes more consistent, Dalton is just Kitna with redder hair. Should he actually pull off a win, he'd join that group you list, though Simms and Bradshaw are each a cut or two above names like McMahon and Dilfer.

The list includes MacMahon, Rypien, Stabler, Flacco, E. Manning, Williams, Hostetler, Russell Wilson (I think this is premature), Simms, Theismann, Bradshaw, Dilfer, Johnson, and Plunkett.

We did this same discussion in another thread. And I agree in general, that Dalton has a chance to lead this group into SB contention. Window is closing though, and unless he becomes more consistent, Dalton is just Kitna with redder hair. Should he actually pull off a win, he'd join that group you list, though Simms and Bradshaw are each a cut or two above names like McMahon and Dilfer.

Don't disagree about Simms (highest SB QB rating) and yes, Andy would join this list, but I really don't care as long as the 'team' gets a ring. After all, Marino has said he would have traded half his records for a ring.

It's odd, it seems like I always hear people say "if we could just" in regards to this team. I'm not saying that's wrong, just noticed it.

During Carson's time it was, "if we could just stop the run on defense".

When Andy started it was, "if we could just have a decent offense".

Now it's, "if we could just find a pass rush".

Throughout all of this, it's, "if we could just stay healthy".

"If we could just win a super bowl, I wouldn't give a damn how it happened."

Stellar D, Stellar O, luck, miracle, natural disaster, whatever...

Something to ponder. It seems like Pete Carroll is bearing the brunt of the criticism for the play call and clock management for ending of last Sunday's Super Bowl game. What if you transpose Marvin Lewis for Pete Carroll and Andy Dalton for Russell Wilson?

Something to ponder. It seems like Pete Carroll is bearing the brunt of the criticism for the play call and clock management for ending of last Sunday's Super Bowl game. What if you transpose Marvin Lewis for Pete Carroll and Andy Dalton for Russell Wilson?

Good point. Not so much here, but on Twitter and the Bengals forum, folks would be coming unglued!

Every Bengals site on the web would be unreadable, that's for sure. But to be fair, I think that can be said if you swapped out any coach and QB combination. That play was an epic fail regardless of the laundry involved.

Seems like 20-20 hindsight to me. He went for it at the end of the 1st half and it paid off, instead of settling for 3. So they would not have been in it if he did not try that call. Russell Wilson did not throw the ball in the correct place or it would not have happened.

Seems like 20-20 hindsight to me. He went for it at the end of the 1st half and it paid off, instead of settling for 3. So they would not have been in it if he did not try that call. Russell Wilson did not throw the ball in the correct place or it would not have happened.

? They needed a TD. FG would not have helped. The consensus was, let Lynch bull it in at least twice. Percentages of a turnover all but disappear as well.

Every Bengals site on the web would be unreadable, that's for sure. But to be fair, I think that can be said if you swapped out any coach and QB combination. That play was an epic fail regardless of the laundry involved.

Agree.

If it were the Bengals and we have Jeremy Hill running hard to end the game, I would be pissed to see a slant at the goal line to Sanzenbacher.

Sh*t would be set to flame at home and work. Well, maybe not to that extreme, but I would at least snap a pencil in half.