Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

I don't think so. Dehner had this in today's walkthrough column:

The Bengals will hold a local prospect workout on Wednesday that could bring in a few interesting names then players can return to Cincinnati for the beginning of the off-season conditioning program next Monday.

Hopefully they will expand on it a little. I know it's usually for guys that played football in high school in the area. I am interested to see who is on the list.

Just another tea leaf in the OT cup. They're a lock to take one high, just a question of how high.

This draft is shaping up to be pretty anticlimactic. It's looking more and more like we could see something like Landon Collins/Jake Fisher/some WR in the first three picks, all of when could spend the year futzing about on teams or, at best, spot duty.

My fear is they go this route and they end up passing up guys at positions like DT, C and LB who could actually provide immediate impact. Not, of course, that replacing Bodine or The Invisible Samoan is on the table anyhow...

LB and DT are the two spots I think could have a more immediate impact, but OT, S, and WR have to be addressed when looking at future FA's.

While I still won't say the first is a lock for an OT, it's almost that within the first two.

Whit and Moobs are free agents and then there's the 8 million option for Zietler, which I think is a no brainer in the hopes of a long term deal.

Anyway around, they have to prepare for life sooner rather than later at the OT spot.

I'm not sold that it HAS to be a LT either. They could just as easily target a RT and then address LT the following year.

I seem them looking OT early this year AND next.

I'm not sold that it HAS to be a LT either. They could just as easily target a RT and then address LT the following year.

LT - Whitworth - is 33 and RT -- Smith - is 28

I think it would make sense to address LT first (meaning this draft).

Leave it 12 months and you have a situation where a 34 year old Whitworth who may (and admittedly may not) be seeing a decline in play, leading you to get a LT to make an "immediate impact" ?? Either that player would be through FA (Bengals mantra is to pay their own rather than attract starters via FA) or draft a decent prospect which could (and again could not depending on the draft pick) mean trading up. We would hope for a late pick which means the Bengals have had a good season.

Whilst all the above is pure conjecture/speculation, I believe it would be sound judgement to look at drafting a LT this year with a view to sitting in behind Whit and learning from him. This years draft is a great opportunity to get the bases covered for next years raft of expiring contracts.

LT - Whitworth - is 33 and RT -- Smith - is 28

I think it would make sense to address LT first (meaning this draft).

Leave it 12 months and you have a situation where a 34 year old Whitworth who may (and admittedly may not) be seeing a decline in play, leading you to get a LT to make an "immediate impact" ?? Either that player would be through FA (Bengals mantra is to pay their own rather than attract starters via FA) or draft a decent prospect which could (and again could not depending on the draft pick) mean trading up. We would hope for a late pick which means the Bengals have had a good season.

Whilst all the above is pure conjecture/speculation, I believe it would be sound judgement to look at drafting a LT this year with a view to sitting in behind Whit and learning from him. This years draft is a great opportunity to get the bases covered for next years raft of expiring contracts.

I agree. Remember how quickly the wheels fell off at the same time for Levi Jones and Willie Anderson.

Here's my thinking when I speculate about LT vs. RT.

#1. I don't think there's anyway in hell Whit goes anywhere. He will be brought back on a 2-3 year deal.

#2. Moobs is obviously looking for another (see last) payday, but I can't say the Bengals are going to go there with him.

#3. Many of the LT prospects are thought to be guys that will probably have to start at RT or maybe even kick inside.

#4. They are taking OT early this draft and the next either way around.

I simply think it boils down to which player is there when they go on the clock.

If that guy is a LT or RT is kind of beside the point to me. Get the best guy and move on.

It's also why i'm not so hellbent on saying the first round pick HAS to be OT.

Then again, I could be totally full of shit.

It's not like it would be the first time !!!

:lmao:

.....although it'd be best to get an OT with enough athleticism and versatilityto play EITHER spot, not just one or the other

From what i've seen, that's usually the case though. How many times have you seen guys touted to be the next best thing at LT only to be a RT.

Hell, that's our starting RT now. Or maybe how many times have you seen a RT in college turn out to be a great LT ?? I can't remember many if any.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see the versatility, but don't think it's all that common.

A team saying they like to pick versatile players is like saying you like to breathe. No shit.

JJ, here's your list, via Hobs:

--DL Camaron Beard, Cincinnati

--RB Dominque Brown, Louisville (Winton Woods HS)

--OL Tyreek Burwell, Cincinnati

--TE Jake Golic, Cincinnati

--DL Brad Harrah, Cincinnati

--DL Terrell Hartsfield, Cincinnati

--RB Domonique Hayden, Thomas More

--QB Conner Hempel, Harvard (Ryle HS)

--QB Andrew Hendrix, Miami-Ohio (Moeller HS)

--LB Jordan Hicks, Texas (Lakota West HS)

--DL Jerrell Jordan, Cincinnati

--OL Eric Lefeld, Cincinnati

--QB Munchie Legaux, Cincinnati

--LB Jeff Luc, Cincinnati

--OL Dominc Mainello, Cincinnati

--OL Greg Mancz, Toledo (Anderson HS)

--TE John Peters, Mount Saint Joseph (Lakota West HS)

--WR Leonard Riston, Mount Saint Joseph (Withrow HS)

--DL Marcus Rush, Michigan State (Moeller HS)

--OL Kevin Schloemer, Cincinnati (Lakota West HS)

--DL Nick Seither, Georgetown (Ky.) College (Badin HS)

--LB Nick Temple, Cincinnati

--TE Alex Welch, Miami-Ohio (Elder HS)

--DB Howard Wilder, Cincinnati

--WR Tyler Williams, Akron (Colerain HS)

A team saying they like to pick versatile players is like saying you like to breathe. No shit.

well, I have seen players come to the draft specifically as RTs......like DJ Fluker

what i guess I should have said is - just draft a LT :-) (and if he turns out to be better suited as a RT, so be it)

GIMME A LINEMAN

Thank you sir!

well, I have seen players come to the draft specifically as RTs......like DJ Fluker

what i guess I should have said is - just draft a LT :-) (and if he turns out to be better suited as a RT, so be it)

GIMME A LINEMAN

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I get what you are saying and my "no shit" wasn't directed at you.

I just find it amusing when I hear teams talk about versatility like they are the only team that considers that.

I can't say there is much on that list that really peaks much interest, but whatever.

I've heard about Mancz being mentioned and a guy like LeFeld late or UDFA wouldn't surprise.

From what I can find on the players on that list there are only about 12 of them with any shot and only a very few that have legitimate chances of being drafted or even UDFA.

Hartsfield

Luc*

Hendrix

Hicks ***

Lefeild

Mancz*

Rush **

Schloemer

Temple

Wilder

Hicks, Rush, Luc and Mancz have a chance to be drafted. No diamonds here.

I think it plays out like this. If La' El Collins or Flowers is there at 21 he will be the pick. If not there will be a discussion.

After Collins and Flowers I have Shelton, Waynes, Beasley, Fowler Jr., Cooper, Ray, Landon Collins, Shaq Thompson, Erving, Brown, Armstead, Peat, and Dorsett...one of those players will almost certainly be available at our selection and all of those players would be excellent additions.

If there is a good Tackle option at 53 and we haven't already selected a lineman then fine but we can't ignore a better talent. There are lots of quality offensive linemen through the 3rd round. We shouldn't pass on a superior player to grab a Tackle in the first two rounds.

Just in case anyone is interested here is my 1st and second round board.

First Round

1) La’El Collins, OT, LSU

2) Erik Flowers, OT, Miami

3) Danny Shelton, DT, Washington

4) Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

5) Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson

6) Dante Fowler, Jr., DE, Florida

7) Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

8) Shane Ray, DE, Missouri

9) Landon Collins, S, Alabama

10) Shaq Thompson, OLB/S, Washington

11) Malcom Brown, DT, Texas

12) Cameron Erving, OT/C, Florida State

13) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest

14) Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami

15) Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

16) Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford

17) Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut

---------------------------------------------------------------- Line of Acceptability

18) Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida

19) Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia

20) Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State

21) Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

Almost certain pre-21 first round guys who are not on this list:

Top 10 - Jameis Winston

Top 10 - Marcus Mariota

Top 15 - Kevin White

Top 20 - DeVante Parker

Top 20 - Brandon Scherff

Top 20 - Melvin Gordon

Top 25 - Alvin “Bud” Dupree

Top 30 - Todd Gurley

Second Round Targets (if that position was not selected Rd. 1) not ranked but placed by position:

(Yes I know there are guys duplicated on my first and second round board but those guys on both my 1st and 2nd round lists are guys I think may drop out of the first)

Phillip Dorsett

Tyler Lockett

Jalen Strong

Devin Smith

Byron Jones

Eric Rowe

P.J. Williams

Andrus Peat

Jake Fisher

Tyler Lockett

D.J. Humphries

Cedric Ogbuehi

Ty Sambrilo

Arik Armstead

Carl Davis

Michael Bennett

Jordan Phillips

Shaq Thompson

Hau’Oli Kikaha

Eric Kendricks

Benardrick McKinney

Paul Dawson

Maxx Williams

No Randy Gregory ??

Nope character risk and he is a bit of a tweener. No interest.

A possible pick in the first round 10 to 15 range.

Plus he's admitted he made some bad choices.

And Cincy have a history of character restoration projects.

I think IF he was still there at 21 then they should give serious consideration to pulling the trigger on him

Just because I'd do anything to avoid getting back to working on this freaking powerpoint presentation I have to put together, I took a look at the four mocks over at CBS:

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Cross-referencing them, there are 12 guys they think will all be gone by the time 21 rolls around, if not far earlier. And there are two more who are almost certain (3 out of 4 have them going), Tres Waynes and DeVante Parker. So that gets us to within 6 picks of the Bengals and there are 8 guys that go before 21 in 2 of the 4 mocks:

OT La'el Collins

OT Andrus Peat

RB Melvin Gordon

RB Todd Gurley

WR Jalen Strong

CB Jalen Collins

CB Byron Jones

DT Arik Armstead

So in all likelihood at least two of the above are there at 21. (For the record Landon Collins is still there on all but one board.) My bet would be the most likely remaining guys out of that 8 would be the two running backs, in which case I love Brinson's idea of trading down. He has the Bengals trading down to 27 (Dallas) and still picking up TJ Clemmings. That trade would cost Dallas a 4th and would give Cincy some ammo to move back up in the second if a guy they like is slipping.