Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

Some ranking have him going in the third, some in the fifth. It's not a deep year for TEs so I wouldn't be surprised if he went early.

I agree with you and RBB that he seems like a good fit. My biggest issue is that I have zero faith in Hayes' ability to coach him up.

Some ranking have him going in the third, some in the fifth. It's not a deep year for TEs so I wouldn't be surprised if he went early.

I agree with you and RBB that he seems like a good fit. My biggest issue is that I have zero faith in Hayes' ability to coach him up.

What were ya thinking Chase?!

Whatcha doin' Chase?!

Come on Chase?!

Dehner passed a tweet noting that Lewis today became the third coach this month to pimp Shawn Williams to him. Could be an indication of where Reggie Nelson stands on the priority list re: 2016 FA re-signings.

It certainly indicates we should expect a Hobson Williams-fluffer any day now...

Some saying Devin Smith WR at Ohio state may go first round to the Bengals. Marvin attended the pro day in person. Above average top speed in the 40 compared to others in the class. Not a lot of stats in college. Seems like a move where he has potential and is about the 5th WR drafted. I'm not interested. Would rather they move up and get a real burner with more game contributions in college. Any thoughts?

Some saying Devin Smith WR at Ohio state may go first round to the Bengals. Marvin attended the pro day in person. Above average top speed in the 40 compared to others in the class. Not a lot of stats in college. Seems like a move where he has potential and is about the 5th WR drafted. I'm not interested. Would rather they move up and get a real burner with more game contributions in college. Any thoughts?

Clutch player with good hands that can disappear at times. not in the first for me and I am a Bucks fan.

Smith at 21 would be a reach. I could see a WR in the first if there's a big run on OTs but not him. I do expect a receiver fairly early. Almost certainly one who is a returner. One name bandied about a fair bit has been Tyler Lockett in the second.

No need to reach in the first for a WR when considering the depth of the draft class at that position.

I was thinking a safety would be had somewhere in the first few rounds before Mays and i'm not changing that thought.

Williams ?? No time like the present to have him turn into the Crocker Jr. they said he was, but not counting on it.

I read an article today that made me think of something. It was Marvin commenting on getting Dennard starting time and it felt like he was the next man up at the CB spot. What about Kirkpatrick ?? If the thought is that Dennard is going to leapfrog him for a starters spot, I wonder if they don't see what he could bring in the safety spot. Many, some here, thought Dre was best suited to be a safety anyway. Not that I really expect that to happen, but that's what jumped in my mind when reading the article.

Cincinnati 7 Round Mock Draft from Matt Miller of Bleacher Report :-

Round 1 (21): Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Round 2 (53): Alex Carter, CB, Stanford

Round 3 (85): Kwon Alexander, LB, LSU

Round 3 (99): Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State

Round 4 (120): Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

Round 4 (135): John Miller, G, Louisville

Round 5 (157): Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford

Round 6 (196): Cedric Reed, DE, Texas

Round 7 (238): Doniel Gambrell, T, Notre Dame College

Not a Wideout in sight .... ???

Take an OT at 135 instead of a guard and I like the order through round 4, hits all the week spots. Im not real worried about WR, they have all they need with Green, Sanu, Jones. I could see a late WR with speed and upside potential for backup depth, but that is all I need at WO.

Cincinnati 7 Round Mock Draft from Matt Miller of Bleacher Report :-

Round 1 (21): Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Round 2 (53): Alex Carter, CB, Stanford

Round 3 (85): Kwon Alexander, LB, LSU

Round 3 (99): Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State

Round 4 (120): Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

Round 4 (135): John Miller, G, Louisville

Round 5 (157): Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford

Round 6 (196): Cedric Reed, DE, Texas

Round 7 (238): Doniel Gambrell, T, Notre Dame College

Not a Wideout in sight .... ???

Count me in absolutely hating that mock.

Armstead is questionable to me all around. Such size and potential with little production to show for it.

I actually like Heuerman and think he will be a solid TE, but I don't like him enough to grab him in the 3rd.

Don't like Jake Ryan in the 4th either. Seems like a couple of reaches there.

SS, but no FS ?? No OT until the 7th ?? No WR ??

BLAH !!!

At 21 I like looking at Offensive Line rather than defensive. Guys like Michael Bennett or Carl Davis will likely be available in round 2 at DT and provide very good value. The elite edge pass rushers are likely to be gone by 21 which leaves the guys who have no defined position or have other ? (like Arik Armstead)

The guys I like at 21 are La'el Collins, Erik Flowers, and most of all Cameron Erving. I like Cam Erving for these reasons. He came to Florida State as a Defensive Tackle and in 2011 played well notching 20 tackles and a sack in back up duty as a redshirt freshman. The coaches came to him and asked for him to switch to Left Tackle because the team had a need there. He was All-ACC for two years as a left tackle (2013 winning the top blocker award in the ACC). Cam was a top prospect going into the 2014 draft but chose to come back to school and help the team win another Championship. Because of injuries to the middle of the Florida State Offensive Line, coaches again came to Cam and asked him to move positions a third time this time to Center, this was a tremendous risk to his draft stock because A) Centers are not as highly drafted as Left Tackles and B) it is the most difficult position to master and he was being asked to master it in an offseason...He moved to Cetner and again shined again being named the ACC Top Blocker for 2014. I like guys who are team oriented and love playing football (not just the money football brings). Cameron Erving has proven himself a smart, flexible football player capable of succeeding with any challenge presented to him. He has been a team captain the last two seasons and has shown himself capable to adapt to any position on the Offensive Line. For this reason he is (and has been for sometime) my favorite lineman in this draft. At 6'5" and 312 lbs he has the size to play inside or out. He was a top performer in the combine at bench press, broad jump, and three cone which proves he has the strength, explosion, and quickness to play at any of the positions. He could come in immediately and backup every spot on the O-Line (and give Bodine an immediate challenger for the starting center position) before figuring out which is his best position long term. I had hoped the Bengals could steal him in the second but that is not looking very likely....he will be there are 21 however (based upon every projection I have seen, and I have seen quite a few).

Guys I do not like: Bud Dupree...this guy has flame out written all over him, played when he wanted to play in college like Jadeveon Clowney but without Clowney's freakish ability. Brandon Scherff...how many Iowa Tackles have to fail as highly drafted picks in the NFL before we realize that whatever is done in Iowa City does not translate to the NFL. Andrus Peat...comparisons to Jonathan Martin all over the place. Not only is he coming out of the same program but seems to lack the fire in his play just like Martin did when he came out, no thanks.

My first blush mock draft.

1 (21) Cameron Erving, OT/C, Florida State

2 (53) Michael Bennet, DT, Ohio State

3 (85) Paul Dawson, LB, TCU (hoping his poor combine performance drops him to us in the third)

3 (99) Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State

4 (120) Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

4 (135) Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech

5 (157) Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville

6 (196) Robert Myers, OG, Tennessee State

7 (238) Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

I think I have these guys correctly slotted, we have time to see if people start rising or falling. Waller is the guy I could see rising fast on draft boards, he was underutilized in a run first, run second, pass only when absolutely necessary offense but guys with a 6'6" frame with 37" verticle jumping ability who can also run sub 4.5 40s do not grow on trees. I think going after receivers with a wide catching radius over guys who are straight burners makes alot of sense given our QBs accuracy troubles and he struggles with deep ball accuracy specifically.

I like the character of the guys on this list but there is also alot of football intelligence here too. Let me know what you think.

At 21 I like looking at Offensive Line rather than defensive. Guys like Michael Bennett or Carl Davis will likely be available in round 2 at DT and provide very good value. The elite edge pass rushers are likely to be gone by 21 which leaves the guys who have no defined position or have other ? (like Arik Armstead)

The guys I like at 21 are La'el Collins, Erik Flowers, and most of all Cameron Erving. I like Cam Erving for these reasons. He came to Florida State as a Defensive Tackle and in 2011 played well notching 20 tackles and a sack in back up duty as a redshirt freshman. The coaches came to him and asked for him to switch to Left Tackle because the team had a need there. He was All-ACC for two years as a left tackle (2013 winning the top blocker award in the ACC). Cam was a top prospect going into the 2014 draft but chose to come back to school and help the team win another Championship. Because of injuries to the middle of the Florida State Offensive Line, coaches again came to Cam and asked him to move positions a third time this time to Center, this was a tremendous risk to his draft stock because A) Centers are not as highly drafted as Left Tackles and B)/> it is the most difficult position to master and he was being asked to master it in an offseason...He moved to Cetner and again shined again being named the ACC Top Blocker for 2014. I like guys who are team oriented and love playing football (not just the money football brings). Cameron Erving has proven himself a smart, flexible football player capable of succeeding with any challenge presented to him. He has been a team captain the last two seasons and has shown himself capable to adapt to any position on the Offensive Line. For this reason he is (and has been for sometime) my favorite lineman in this draft. At 6'5" and 312 lbs he has the size to play inside or out. He was a top performer in the combine at bench press, broad jump, and three cone which proves he has the strength, explosion, and quickness to play at any of the positions. He could come in immediately and backup every spot on the O-Line (and give Bodine an immediate challenger for the starting center position) before figuring out which is his best position long term. I had hoped the Bengals could steal him in the second but that is not looking very likely....he will be there are 21 however (based upon every projection I have seen, and I have seen quite a few).

Guys I do not like: Bud Dupree...this guy has flame out written all over him, played when he wanted to play in college like Jadeveon Clowney but without Clowney's freakish ability. Brandon Scherff...how many Iowa Tackles have to fail as highly drafted picks in the NFL before we realize that whatever is done in Iowa City does not translate to the NFL. Andrus Peat...comparisons to Jonathan Martin all over the place. Not only is he coming out of the same program but seems to lack the fire in his play just like Martin did when he came out, no thanks.

My first blush mock draft.

1 (21) Cameron Erving, OT/C, Florida State

2 (53) Michael Bennet, DT, Ohio State

3 (85) Paul Dawson, LB, TCU (hoping his poor combine performance drops him to us in the third)

3 (99) Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State

4 (120) Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

4 (135) Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech

5 (157) Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville

6 (196) Robert Myers, OG, Tennessee State

7 (238) Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

I think I have these guys correctly slotted, we have time to see if people start rising or falling. Waller is the guy I could see rising fast on draft boards, he was underutilized in a run first, run second, pass only when absolutely necessary offense but guys with a 6'6" frame with 37" verticle jumping ability who can also run sub 4.5 40s do not grow on trees. I think going after receivers with a wide catching radius over guys who are straight burners makes alot of sense given our QBs accuracy troubles and he struggles with deep ball accuracy specifically.

I like the character of the guys on this list but there is also alot of football intelligence here too. Let me know what you think.

I don't like doubling up on WR or TE and I would like CB and FS before looking at depth for WR position. I do think that OT and DT are 1-2 priority, Then got to get LB, TE, CB and S help for the future. WR depth is secondary fro me and late prospects can fill that need.

I have a lot of concerns with the OT's that may be there around the #21 spot. None seem to jump off the charts at me.

I still have great hope that DT Malcolm Brown from Texas is there and the Bengals would actually pick him.

He's the one guy I think would help greatly.

If someone else were to fall, I guess it would depend on who, but I look at who I think would make the most impact in 2015.

I would say TE, but there's not one I like at #21 and it can be addressed later on.

Maybe an OLB falls they didn't expect ??