Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

We all know how it's gonna go down.

On March 10 at 4 pm, free agency opens.

Mike Brown will already be in bed snoring. Katie will be getting her hair done. Marvin will be out at a charity event.

All the big names like Suh will be signed somewhere else by about 6 pm.

Circa 7 pm, Hobson will post his annual updated story about how the Bengals refuse to "overspend" and that in any event they have no cap space once you factor in RFA tags, an injury pad and money that needs to be pushed into 2019 so they can re-sign Darqueze Dennard.

Then after a week or so, with the shelves bare, the Bengals will go around back and root in the dumpster for leftovers. These will then be processed by Hobson in to stud signings that will put the team over the top. These "studs" will mostly be cut in August.

And we will go to war with what we have.

Yep - Hobson and Marvin will already be practising the "we gotta sign our own guys first" mantra as one by one the decent FA's sign elsewhere and we are left with the talent pool that holds the likes of Marshall Newhouse ......I can almost hear the laughter of other teams across the NFL as they offload their liabilities into the market and we (Bengals) come sniffing.dash.gifdash.gifdash.gif

I'm really hoping that all the talk isn't just that...talk. That the Bengals really do get into the FA game this year. But even if they do I have my doubts they can pull it off. The front office just doesn't have the mindset; for them, pulling the trigger on a deal is like pulling teeth.

If there is a guy or guys they think can help them win, then don't worry about money. You're going to spend it anyhow -- you have to, it's in the CBA. Just go sign them. That's the attitude they need and it's just 100% opposite of the way they've always worked.

Now, after two-plus decades, they're suddenly going to get busy? Nothing would make me happier, but I'll believe it when I see it.

/>http://stripehype.com/2015/02/09/bengals-consider-michael-oher/

Michael Oher to boost the O-Line ???

I didn't need to read any further than this:

He was rated the 75th offensive tackle in the NFL by Pro Football Focus last season.

But I did, and there was this:

At this point, it would not be a stretch to consider Michael Oher an NFL bust.

Isn't the point to "improve" the roster ??

You guys in the States would be much more aware of Oher than I would over here, but I think starting 80 games for the Ravens in a 5 year stretch would lead you to believe that he was anything but a bust

Funny how out of that tackle class of 2009, the guy seen as the biggest risk pre-draft (that would be Moobs) ended up as arguably the most successful of the bunch. Jason Smith was an utter bust, Oher is busting and Eugene Monroe is on his second team.

In fact I think it could be argued that Andre was the best of the top 10 picks that year.

/>http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2009

Seriously, what a steaming pile that turned out to be. Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Aaron Curry, Darrius Hands-of-Stone-Bey...yuck.

FWIW there seems to be a bit of a Greg-Hardy-to-Cincinnati boomlet among the pundit corps.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25062831/twelve-teams-that-could-be-a-landing-spot-for-greg-hardy

It seems mostly about the Bengals having a history with shady characters and needing a pass rush, versus any actual documented interest by either party. I can't say the idea is all that attractive to me. Do we really need another round of "durr hurr hurr Bengals are criminalz lolz"? Plus Hardy is likely to get suspended by Goodell and if he signs in Cincy you know that suspension will be twice as long as it would be if he signed in, NE or Pitt. So figure he'd miss the first half of the year.

But all that said, yeah, this is the kind of "bargain" that usually attracts the FO. Hardy is undoubtedly talented but because of the circumstances probably won't draw immediate big-money interest. So as far as pure speculation does, yeah, I could see the Bengals making a run at him.

Do I want an improved pass rush ?? Sure I do.

Do I want that at the expense of all the crap that comes along with that type of signing and having a person that beats women on the roster ??

Not so much.

The only reason the charges were dropped was because they came to a settlement, which allowed her to jet all over the place vacationing and the prosecutors weren't able to get in touch with her in order to serve her with papers to appear in court. Hardly a reason to think he was innocent in that situation.

Do I want an improved pass rush ?? Sure I do.

Do I want that at the expense of all the crap that comes along with that type of signing and having a person that beats women on the roster ??

Not so much.

The only reason the charges were dropped was because they came to a settlement, which allowed her to jet all over the place vacationing and the prosecutors weren't able to get in touch with her in order to serve her with papers to appear in court. Hardly a reason to think he was innocent in that situation.

Oh, I agree 100%. But you remember who owns the team, right?

The Redeemer.

This is just one of those matches you can see coming 100 miles away.

Yeah, I gotcha Hoosier. I guess i'm just hoping there is a limit there with "what" they don't have a problem trying to redeem.

You want to give a player a second chance that's had problems with drugs or trouble of a simple nature ?? Fine.

Wanting to give a player that beats on women a second chance, I take issue with. I don't care how bad our pass rush is.

A few tidbits from Hobson today. One, he says they expect to re-sign FNR. Two, he says the chances they cut Peko are zero, nil and none. The former is expected, the latter disappointing.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-next-moves/a3ec04bf-fb5d-4c8d-b740-0e0fa1cb021f

Fair warning: the column is chock full of excuses as Hobs warms up his Hobsonizer. Already $10 million in cap space is gone because they have to reserve it to sign rookies in July! They will only go after FAs who "slip through. Must save money for Green! No FA wide receiver, we already have a number two, Marvin busted foot Jones.

Same as it ever was.

Just horsesh*t run of the mill right there.

While I don't have any concerns bringing FNR back, bringing Peko back is the same old same old that costs this team every year.

Holding onto a player that has obviously declined and citing their leadership and what it means to the organization.

What it means is, they overpay, fail to develop, waste a roster spot, and lose their first round playoff game yet again.

Why bring a guy back that produces zero, nil, and none in regards to the pass rush, when that is our biggest weakness ??

Oh that's right, he's a leader and the type of veteran presence the team needs.

Wrong, what the team needs is a f*cking pass rush. Go get guys that do that and move the f*ck on already.

I like Peko and what he brought to this team. Hell of a guy. No longer a hell of a player. Sorry Peko.

No FA WR ?? I really don't have any concerns with that if they go after a speed guy before the end of the 3rd round.

If Marvin Jones is really up to speed, i'm ok with a WR corps of Green, Jones, Sanu, and rookie fast guy.

I suppose what they do with the rest of that group is also a question, but James Wright was coming along nicely as well.

Who knows ?? It just sucks not knowing the details of their plans heading into free agency and the draft.

Let me add that if they can acknowledge that a possible solution to the pass rush may already be on the roster with Hunt and Clarke, but they haven't been able to get snaps due to the veterans ahead of them on the roster, they have to be able to acknowledge that those same veterans that are keeping the youngsters from getting snaps AREN'T GETTING THE JOB DONE.

If someone can actually argue how in the hell a guy like Geathers, quite possibly the worst DE in all of football last year, kept our pass rush solutions from getting snaps, I would LOVE to hear it. I've got nothing to this point except claiming absolute stupidity on their part.

Like I always say Army, I would love to have a boss like Mike Brown. As long as you show up on time, toe the line, keep your nose clean off the job and don't say anything bad about ownership in the media, your actual job performance is purely a secondary consideration. You're a "leader." As Hob says in his column, you do all the "invisible things" the Bengals love.

In other words, in Cincy you can get paid millions of dollars a year to be Mister Invisible.

Nice "work" if you can get it.

Prisco jumps on the Hardy-to-Cincy bandwagon:

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25065900/bengals-cowboys-falcons-jags-fits-for-talented-troubled-greg-hardy

I put the O/U at 3 days before the "Brandon Marshall to the Bengals" boomlet begins. After all, we've signed diva wideouts before, right?

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25065900/bengals-cowboys-falcons-jags-fits-for-talented-troubled-greg-hardy

I put the O/U at 3 days before the "Brandon Marshall to the Bengals" boomlet begins. After all, we've signed diva wideouts before, right?

If the Bengals were to go after Hardy, I would simply hope for the best.

Cheer for the laundry right ??

I'd love Brandon Marshall. He's not a bad guy - to me he seems like a good leader - and he still has some gas in the tank. I'd definitely prefer him to Larry Fitzgerald, who does not have much left.

The Bengals were allegedly interested in Marshall back in 2010 when he was an RFA but didn't want to give up a first for him. He's kind of worn out his welcome here in Chicago. I'm mixed. On the one hand he's incredibly talented. On the other he's Chad v2.0. On balance though I'd be interested.

I'm ready to hear why that scenario can't play out. Suh and two out of the other three turns this team into a force before the draft even arrives. Let's hear your thoughts as to why it can or why it can't happen!

Because Hobson told us so on the website :-)

Man that's hilarious!