Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

Hey, we need a linebacker, right?

How about Mr Injured Reserve?

He's available!

Wow, he's only 28 ?? Wonder why I thought he was older by this time ??

I bet he rides IR better than 2-3 guys we had on IR in 2014.

I heard he was trying his hand at Jenga to toughen up in the offseason.

What ?? You never heard of mental toughness ??

He's available!

The only Bengals lb who has appeared in more games than Rivers in the last 2 years is LNR.

He's available!

The only Bengals lb who has appeared in more games than Rivers in the last 2 years is LNR.

So so sad.

Can't say as any of that is surprising at this point and why I still think the draft is the way to handle the WR position.

The Chiefs also cut ties with two WR's yesterday (Jenkins and Avery I believe) but that's a WR corps that didn't catch a touchdown ALL SEASON.

That's just all kinds of pathetic. The Chiefs could use 3-4 picks on WR's and still be looking for help.

A few weeks ago it was reported on bengals.com (and no doubt other sources) that Marvin Lewis had stated/intimated the this off-season the Bengals were going to be more aggressive/active in Free Agency.

Below are some quotes taken from Geoff Hobson response to questions posted on the dot com :-

"Everyone knows what the recipe for the most successful run in franchise history has been. Draft well and when they perform well enough to help you win, sign them up and drop big contracts on only your own players. "

"But the market dictates what the Bengals are going to do in free agency. They've got too many needs and too many of their own guys to sign to dump a big deal on one or two guys."

" that doesn't mean big deals because of the very reasons you say, but if they knock off a couple of needs before the draft (linebacker and tight end) I think they'll try, and then get in the draft what they couldn't in free agency."

"That said, three guys they've targeted are their own in middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, left guard Clint Boling, and kicker Mike Nugent. The guess here is tight end Jermaine Gresham is too pricey. "

"A lot depends on how free agency comes down. For instance, there aren't a lot of linebackers out there so the prices may be artificially elevated. But I still see them making a big play for Maualuga. He's just so meaningful in their run defense."

"here's a team that has spent to the salary cap for the last three seasons while going to the postseason each year "

"the question is, why don't they lure a big name coach like Shanahan, Holmgrem or Cowher? Their reasoning is probably the same as it is in free agency. A lot of times it doesn't work "

To me that doesn't sound like the winds are changing, seems business as usual to me.

To me that doesn't sound like the winds are changing, seems business as usual to me.

It is. Oh, they'll be a bit more active, but that isn't saying much. It's hard to be less active than, for instance, watching AC and MJ walk and signing Outhouse, which pretty much sums up the free agency highlights of 2014. At most, we'll see a couple mid-level signings that will fill in a few holes before the draft (think 2003). That won't stop me from fantasizing about Randall Cobb or Greg Hardy, but that's all there is to it, fantasy.

Oh, just for the record the link to Hobs' latest is:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-drafting-and-dealing/a1a0fc21-0168-4013-8cdb-333e950d6c75

This section, I think, captures Hobson at his most mendacious:

But I hear you. If they don’t change things, how can they possibly change things? I do think we’re coming into a key year. The contracts for the head coach and the quarterback say that. But there are just as many reasons to stick with the formula as there are to blow it up.

They had so many key injuries last year that running backs Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard have yet to play with wide receivers Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert. Their two best defensive players, Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins and Pro Bowl linebacker Vontaze Burfict, either were struggling coming back from injury last year and weren’t themselves, or they hardly played two and a half games because of injury.

The club also appears to be taking into account that they had a new offensive and defensive coordinator last season. So, on paper anyway, the thinking seems to be there’ll be enough changes with better personnel and a more familiar way of doing things on both sides of the ball than there was in 2014. Those are more changes than we think.

If that’s not enough to get them over the hump this year, I would think they have to take another look at it.

In summary: same old same old this year. But maybe next year...

Yeah, right, Butch. :rolleyes:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-drafting-and-dealing/a1a0fc21-0168-4013-8cdb-333e950d6c75

But I hear you. If they don’t change things, how can they possibly change things? I do think we’re coming into a key year. The contracts for the head coach and the quarterback say that. But there are just as many reasons to stick with the formula as there are to blow it up.

They had so many key injuries last year that running backs Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard have yet to play with wide receivers Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert. Their two best defensive players, Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins and Pro Bowl linebacker Vontaze Burfict, either were struggling coming back from injury last year and weren’t themselves, or they hardly played two and a half games because of injury.

The club also appears to be taking into account that they had a new offensive and defensive coordinator last season. So, on paper anyway, the thinking seems to be there’ll be enough changes with better personnel and a more familiar way of doing things on both sides of the ball than there was in 2014. Those are more changes than we think.

If that’s not enough to get them over the hump this year, I would think they have to take another look at it.

Yeah, right, Butch. :rolleyes:/>

47 years and counting!

1424287180' post='425655']

http://www.bengals.c...db-333e950d6c75

But I hear you. If they don't change things, how can they possibly change things? I do think we're coming into a key year. The contracts for the head coach and the quarterback say that. But there are just as many reasons to stick with the formula as there are to blow it up.

They had so many key injuries last year that running backs Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard have yet to play with wide receivers Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert. Their two best defensive players, Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins and Pro Bowl linebacker Vontaze Burfict, either were struggling coming back from injury last year and weren't themselves, or they hardly played two and a half games because of injury.

The club also appears to be taking into account that they had a new offensive and defensive coordinator last season. So, on paper anyway, the thinking seems to be there'll be enough changes with better personnel and a more familiar way of doing things on both sides of the ball than there was in 2014. Those are more changes than we think.

If that's not enough to get them over the hump this year, I would think they have to take another look at it.

Yeah, right, Butch. rolleyes.gif

Sounds like the Reds strategy for 2015.

I wanted Jared Allen when he left the Vikings.

He was a 4-3 guy I thought had plenty left in the tank.

Last year he gave the Bears 55 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries.

While I won't say he's going to give us 10+ sacks, he can't be any worse than what Geathers gave us last year.

He would be a vet leader that actually produced on the field as opposed to the pixie dust tricks some of our vets offer to the team.

EDIT:

I went back to look at his contract. He has a cap hit of 12.5 million this year.

8.5 in 2016 and 8.0 in 2017.

The contract also allows the team to void after 3 years.

I wanted Jared Allen when he left the Vikings.

He was a 4-3 guy I thought had plenty left in the tank.

Last year he gave the Bears 55 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries.

While I won't say he's going to give us 10+ sacks, he can't be any worse than what Geathers gave us last year.

He would be a vet leader that actually produced on the field as opposed to the pixie dust tricks some of our vets offer to the team.

EDIT:

I went back to look at his contract. He has a cap hit of 12.5 million this year.

8.5 in 2016 and 8.0 in 2017.

The contract also allows the team to void after 3 years.

I hear the Bears are looking for a QB. Just sayin'. :ph34r:

It's funny to see the butthurt Bears fans claiming Allen hasn't done anything since forever and never should have come to Chicago.

This is a guy that in 2013 had 11.5 sacks. The 6 years prior to that ?? Each with better than 11 sacks.

Sure his sacks in 2014 dropped (5.5) but the rest of his stats were on par with what he's always produced.

It's the players you have around you.

Hell, MJ here had 11.5 sacks in 2012. He dropped the year he was tagged (3.5) but the rest of his stats were about the same and everyone wanted to keep him. He goes to Tampa and all of his stats suffer, but saw a .5 increase in his sacks (4.0).

I think Allen still has it in him to produce in a role we could give him, but that 12+ million in guaranteed money would be a challenge in 2015.

MJ on the other hand could also probably come back in and have an impact from the DE spot.

When looking at cap hits on their current contract alone, it would cost less over the next 3 years to bring MJ back.

The added bonus would be MJ has an additional year after that with no increase in salary and just turned 28.