Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

In regards to Dre, i'm lost to wonder how he's viewed after that last piece by Hobson.

He made it sound like Dennard had the leg up on the starters spot vacated by Newman.

Maybe I was reading into it a bit, but I haven't seen anything like that in regards to Kirkpatrick.

Either way around, I see a CB in the later rounds of the draft for depth.

Remember though that Mr. Ghee is back too, lol.

In regards to Dre, i'm lost to wonder how he's viewed after that last piece by Hobson.

He made it sound like Dennard had the leg up on the starters spot vacated by Newman.

Maybe I was reading into it a bit, but I haven't seen anything like that in regards to Kirkpatrick.

Either way around, I see a CB in the later rounds of the draft for depth.

Remember though that Mr. Ghee is back too, lol.

may as well put him on the injured list now, he'll end up there anyway !!

I'm sure Dre will get his chance. Newman is already gone, Hall (31 in December) won't be back unless he takes a giant pay cut and Pacman turns 32 in September (and so does Reggie Nelson).

Dennard, Kirkpatrick, Iloka, Shawn Williams (Dehner says the coaches won't shut up about how awesome Williams is) and maybe Ghee if he can stay off IR will be the secondary for 2016 and beyond.

And yeah, they will add some bodies in the draft. I'd say expect at least 2 DBs and don't be surprised if at least one doesn't come in the first three rounds.

It sure would be nice to "see" how awesome Williams is. For all the talk, there hasn't been much to show for it.

He's a 3rd round pick that appears to be that SS mold of player and can't beat out the 5th round taken the year before.

Don't get me wrong, I hope like any other fan, that Williams is the next coming of safety greats, but i'm not holding my breath.

I've also heard nothing about Hall, outside of the Bengals saying how they honor their contracts.

Great, pay that broke dick 9+ million for the season while trying to figure out how to extend other guys coming due.

Hope they force that issue, but not thinking they will.

It sure would be nice to "see" how awesome Williams is. For all the talk, there hasn't been much to show for it.

How quickly we forget...

/>http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/afc-wild-card-bengals-colts-shawn-williams-andrew-jackson-plays-dead-010415

:lol:

So I came across this article about Colt Lyerla on NFL.com and it had me a bit curious.
/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000487518/article/colt-lyerla-makes-plea-for-another-nfl-chance

I remember him playing for Oregon as well as some of his concerns, but would it hurt to bring him in for a look see considering our situation at the TE spot ??

We've had a knack for bringing in guys for a second chance in the past. It may not happen, but it had me thinking.

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

So, the big buzz yesterday was the Kiper/McShay mock. I think they had us taking Flowers, but the big surprise was Vic Beasley not going in the first.

Beasley may not be ideal but I think it would be extremely tough for the Bengals to pass on him were he there at 21.

I agree though there are good options into the third to bolster the Linebacking corp.

How about this:

1 (21) Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

2 (53) Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota

3 (85) Paul Dawson, ILB, TCU

3 (99) Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

4 (120) Alex Carter, CB, Stanford

4 (135) Derrick Lott, DT, Tenn. Chattanoga

5 (157) Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

6 (197) Shaquille Riddick, DE, West Virginia

7 (238) Louis Trinca-Pasat, DT, Iowa

Flowers is our RT of the future. Williams is falling fast but as a second round player he is a great option and I think there is a better than 50/50 chance he is there at 53. Dawson has some character issues and tested poorly at the combine but he was the best defensive player on the field I saw last year. Kikaha is a sacking beast and plays with grit and heart and would be a perfect SSOLB for the Bengals IMHO. Carter is smart and fast enough and has some size. Lott is overage and has a pretty bad injury history but as a late fourth rounder gives 1st round talent. I think Conley is one of the most underrated players in this draft but I continue to see him rated as a late 4th/5th round guy. Riddick is big and fast just like Paulie likes. Trinca was argueably more productive the last two years for Iowa than was his more heralded collegue. I would be pretty pleased with this draft how about you guys?

It looks reasonable to me. I can't say I'm all that excited by Flowers at 21, but I've been resigned to an OT there for a while. Every possible one has been mocked to us at one time or another and they all have their champions and detractors. If Flowers end up being the one, so be it. The Bengals have a pretty good track record with early round OTs, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as to who to select.

If they do go ad ifferent direction, like Beasley, in the first it seems like a pretty deep class on the o-line, so they can still get one in the second or third.

I really don't think Williams falls that far, and they really need someone who can block. But who knows, Hue was supposedly all set to roll out a 2-TE offense last year and then everything blew up in the first 10 minutes of the season. Maybe they try again.

A lot of people like Dawson, so I'm coll there, too. I'll take your word for the rest.

I agree though there are good options into the third to bolster the Linebacking corp.

How about this:

1 (21) Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

2 (53) Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota

3 (85) Paul Dawson, ILB, TCU

3 (99) Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

4 (120) Alex Carter, CB, Stanford

4 (135) Derrick Lott, DT, Tenn. Chattanoga

5 (157) Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

6 (197) Shaquille Riddick, DE, West Virginia

7 (238) Louis Trinca-Pasat, DT, Iowa

Flowers is our RT of the future. Williams is falling fast but as a second round player he is a great option and I think there is a better than 50/50 chance he is there at 53. Dawson has some character issues and tested poorly at the combine but he was the best defensive player on the field I saw last year. Kikaha is a sacking beast and plays with grit and heart and would be a perfect SSOLB for the Bengals IMHO. Carter is smart and fast enough and has some size. Lott is overage and has a pretty bad injury history but as a late fourth rounder gives 1st round talent. I think Conley is one of the most underrated players in this draft but I continue to see him rated as a late 4th/5th round guy. Riddick is big and fast just like Paulie likes. Trinca was argueably more productive the last two years for Iowa than was his more heralded collegue. I would be pretty pleased with this draft how about you guys?

I'd like it fine, and I personally wouldn't pick Dawson or Kikaha before 85, but most mocks I see have Dawson and Kikaha picked before 85. Unfortunately, this LB class seems really thin. Gonna be tough to find guys who fit the Bengals scheme in any round. Not really seeing guys known for their coverage abilities. Some good Mike prospects, but we just signed Maualuga and the coaches looooove him, so...

I can't really see them doubling up at the DT spot and I don't see them taking both an inside and outside linebacker.

I would change one of the LB picks to a free safety personally.

If there was going to be a position to double up, i'm left to wonder about the TE spot.

With them running 2 TE sets and having very little after Eifert, it wouldn't surprise me to see them go that route.

As with all things mock draft, I could be totally and completely off base.

:lol:

I can't really see them doubling up at the DT spot and I don't see them taking both an inside and outside linebacker.

I would change one of the LB picks to a free safety personally.

If there was going to be a position to double up, i'm left to wonder about the TE spot.

With them running 2 TE sets and having very little after Eifert, it wouldn't surprise me to see them go that route.

As with all things mock draft, I could be totally and completely off base.

:lol:/>

Seems to me like there are interesting TE prospects just about everywhere in this class. I'd be happy if they picked two.

I'd be happy if they picked two, for a few reasons.

No more Gresham (hopefully)

Eifert coming back from injury

Backups consisting of:

Kevin Brock and Jake Murphy

Was Alex Smith re-signed ?? I don't remember.

Not like it matters, that is a position far from solidified and the addition of two TE's wouldn't bother me.

Hobson gives them DT Jordan Phillips in his latest mock.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mocking-on-the-door/c4a5cd5c-b36d-4752-8c5a-99bd363747e2

I like the idea but his injury issues make me very nervous. Second round ok, but in the first...

For those of you who like Goodberry's stuff, here's Joe's grades for this draft:

https://docs.google....htmlview?pli=1#

Wow - what a huge amount of info, easy to lose a couple of hours in there just pre-guessing the Bengals options thumbsup3.gif

Harvey's pick in the espn beat writers' mock:

21. Cincinnati Bengals

Nelson Agholor, WR, USC

When this pick arrived, there were three options to consider: Agholor, OT Jake Fisher and OLB Randy Gregory. The Bengals like all three and have needs at each position. Gregory would have been a good addition as a “Sam” linebacker rusher. But his questionable decision-making creates pause, even for a team that often gives players second chances. In Agholor, Cincinnati gets a fast, reliable, competitive receiver who has return ability. With the Bengals' top three receivers up for free agency next year, and concerns about Brandon Tate and free-agency acquisition Denarius Moore, drafting Agholor makes sense. -- Coley Harvey

Well, I guess I couldn't complain since I've been bitching about Brandon Tate for ages...

Harvey's pick in the espn beat writers' mock:

21. Cincinnati Bengals

Nelson Agholor, WR, USC

When this pick arrived, there were three options to consider: Agholor, OT Jake Fisher and OLB Randy Gregory. The Bengals like all three and have needs at each position. Gregory would have been a good addition as a “Sam” linebacker rusher. But his questionable decision-making creates pause, even for a team that often gives players second chances. In Agholor, Cincinnati gets a fast, reliable, competitive receiver who has return ability. With the Bengals' top three receivers up for free agency next year, and concerns about Brandon Tate and free-agency acquisition Denarius Moore, drafting Agholor makes sense. -- Coley Harvey

Well, I guess I couldn't complain since I've been bitching about Brandon Tate for ages...

That's my problem with Joe's board. His values are so out of whack with everything else out there, it would have us reaching early in the draft and missing on positions of need until late or altogether. Going BPA would almost certainly yield Agholor or one of the top 2 RBs in the first, DE Henry Anderson or Justin Hardy in the 2nd. Blegh. But at the same time ... how very Bengals.