Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

I get very worried about guys who are "raw but talented" in the first round and that is the prevailing opinion on Clemmings. It worked for Moobs but those guys are generally the guys who end up flaming out of the league. I would rather take another position in the first and check out safer opions in the second or third.

On Gregory it would not shock me to see him drop to the second round.

That's an entirely possible scenario - but is he likely to be around when the Bengals pick at 53?? If not, would it be that much of a risk to take him at 21 if he's still on the board? He was talked about as being a Top 10 pick (I've read that at one point) but has fallen to what most believe will be 10 to 15.

no on Gregory unless he is a UDCFA

tough crowd

Fuck Gregory. Take him off the board completely.

Dude even looks like Tyron Biggums from the Chappelle show.

We've seen that story play out enough here and I would rather they not risk it.

Avoiding the dreaded Powerpoint Hoosier ?? I had to take two days off of work just to get further on my thesis i'm presenting next Saturday.

After much research, analysis, and writing, i'm fried for the day. Nothing like Bengalszone to balance things out !!!

I'll write more later tonight.

Maybe...

Via CJ, here's Mel's first three rounds:

Top needs: DE, LB, OT, WR/TE

Round 1 (21) DE Bud Dupree, Kentucky

Round 2 (53) OT Donovan Smith, Penn St.

Round 3 (85) WR Tre McBride, William & Mary

Round 3 (99) TE Jeff Heuerman, Ohio St.

Analysis: I'm committed to adding a pass-rusher, and Dupree isn't exactly a steal at No. 21, but I figured it was only a 50-50 shot that he'd get to this point, so it's not a difficult call given how bad the pass rush was last season. He doesn't come in with an arsenal of moves, but he's an exceptional athlete and certainly adds upside where we're currently lacking it. Smith started over 30 games at left tackle for Penn State, but I have him pegged to compete for a starting guard spot. In Rounds 3 and 4, I'm trying to add some new elements to the passing game. McBride was a big-time playmaker at his level and is a speedster in workouts, though I don't think he's an immediate-impact guy. But when we had some injuries last season, the depth chart at WR became a problem. Heuerman is one of the few tight ends in this entire draft who combines good athleticism with the ability to actually block. He has the ability of a player who could come off the board much earlier, so I like the bet on his potential at No. 99.

I just don't see a DE that high, not after re-signing MJ.

I just don't see a DE that high, not after re-signing MJ.

Nor me, I just can't see DE being the first pick this year.

Smith as a G?? Are they already planning on life without Zeitler ?

Kiper always gives the Bengals his rejects. Guys that are slotted and he doesn't know what to do with.

Kiper is a lunatic.

This morning on Mike and Mike he argued that the Titans taking Mariota with the 2nd pick was a win-win. If Mariota beats out Mettenberger in camp, then they've found their quarterback of the future and "win". If Mettenberger beats out Mariota, then they've found their future quarterback and they "win".

Excuse me? Drafting a QB No. 2 overall, only to find out he's not your guy is a win? That 6th round QB that was already on your roster is actually the guy and you've wasted the 2nd overall pick? That's a WIN?

Sheesh...dash.gif

OK, there will be some fall out / back lash, but this is what i was saying just a couple of days ago

/>http://stripehype.com/2015/04/17/poll-is-randy-gregory-a-good-fit-for-the-bengals/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Kiper always gives the Bengals his rejects. Guys that are slotted and he doesn't know what to do with.

Kiper is a lunatic.

This morning on Mike and Mike he argued that the Titans taking Mariota with the 2nd pick was a win-win. If Mariota beats out Mettenberger in camp, then they've found their quarterback of the future and "win". If Mettenberger beats out Mariota, then they've found their future quarterback and they "win".

Excuse me? Drafting a QB No. 2 overall, only to find out he's not your guy is a win? That 6th round QB that was already on your roster is actually the guy and you've wasted the 2nd overall pick? That's a WIN?

Sheesh...dash.gif

A few weeks back I heard a guy on the Paul Feinstein show saying that Tennessee was going to take Amari Cooper with their pick then trade with the Bengals for AJ McCarron. Before that I heard that the Titans were going to make a move to get Phillip Rivers from SD. So who really knows. But the win/win thing they proposed doesn't make much sense.

JJ, here's your list, via Hobs:

--DL Camaron Beard, Cincinnati

--RB Dominque Brown, Louisville (Winton Woods HS)

--OL Tyreek Burwell, Cincinnati

--TE Jake Golic, Cincinnati

--DL Brad Harrah, Cincinnati

--DL Terrell Hartsfield, Cincinnati

--RB Domonique Hayden, Thomas More

--QB Conner Hempel, Harvard (Ryle HS)

--QB Andrew Hendrix, Miami-Ohio (Moeller HS)

--LB Jordan Hicks, Texas (Lakota West HS)

--DL Jerrell Jordan, Cincinnati

--OL Eric Lefeld, Cincinnati

--QB Munchie Legaux, Cincinnati

--LB Jeff Luc, Cincinnati

--OL Dominc Mainello, Cincinnati

--OL Greg Mancz, Toledo (Anderson HS)

--TE John Peters, Mount Saint Joseph (Lakota West HS)

--WR Leonard Riston, Mount Saint Joseph (Withrow HS)

--DL Marcus Rush, Michigan State (Moeller HS)

--OL Kevin Schloemer, Cincinnati (Lakota West HS)

--DL Nick Seither, Georgetown (Ky.) College (Badin HS)

--LB Nick Temple, Cincinnati

--TE Alex Welch, Miami-Ohio (Elder HS)

--DB Howard Wilder, Cincinnati

--WR Tyler Williams, Akron (Colerain HS)

I can't say there is much on that list that really peaks much interest, but whatever.

I've heard about Mancz being mentioned and a guy like LeFeld late or UDFA wouldn't surprise.

This morning Chick Ludwig was projecting either Jordan Hicks or Jeff Luc as a fourth round pick for the Bengals.

I don't think it takes that much to look at that list and simply say the Bengals are going to target one of those guys in the later rounds.

Maybe, maybe not. It was a local workout thing and the Bengals have all kinds of workouts that never result in much even when they are there to pick.

More intriguing to me is the fact the Bengals had private workouts with both:

Dorial Green-Beckham and Cedric Ogbuehi.

DGB has his off field concerns and Ogbuehi has injury concerns.

EDIT: Add OT DJ Humphries and Jake Fisher to the list of private workout guys.

I don't think it takes that much to look at that list and simply say the Bengals are going to target one of those guys in the later rounds.

Maybe, maybe not. It was a local workout thing and the Bengals have all kinds of workouts that never result in much even when they are there to pick.

More intriguing to me is the fact the Bengals had private workouts with both:

Dorial Green-Beckham and Cedric Ogbuehi.

DGB has his off field concerns and Ogbuehi has injury concerns.

EDIT: Add OT DJ Humphries and Jake Fisher to the list of private workout guys.

If you go back through previous drafts, the Bengals have not drafted alot of people they have worked out. They only work out the guys they have questions about (excluding the local guys) and many of those guys don't make it high enough up the draft to be considered.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point in the local guys. It's easy to say they will draft one of those guys, but it's just looking.

The DGB's and Ogbuehi's of the draft stike me as players they may be willing to take a shot on, but they would have to fall far enough for their liking and present as the clear best player available when they go on the clock. In other words, planets have to align. Both of those players are intriguing, but of those two Ogbuehi wouldn't be a wasted pick at all. A true LT that was widely considered a top pick in the draft until he got injured. He may not be ready to go right away, but we are talking about an OT draft pick that is basically going to sit the season anyway. If he were to check out medically, he may be worth the pick.

All a crap shoot, but anyone need look any further than how the analysts rate players from week to week. They have them set and then a report comes out about how some scout questioned this that and the other and they drop their ranking on a player but a few rounds. I'm pretty sure the teams are all but set in stone on their player rankings.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point in the local guys. It's easy to say they will draft one of those guys, but it's just looking.

The DGB's and Ogbuehi's of the draft stike me as players they may be willing to take a shot on, but they would have to fall far enough for their liking and present as the clear best player available when they go on the clock. In other words, planets have to align. Both of those players are intriguing, but of those two Ogbuehi wouldn't be a wasted pick at all. A true LT that was widely considered a top pick in the draft until he got injured. He may not be ready to go right away, but we are talking about an OT draft pick that is basically going to sit the season anyway. If he were to check out medically, he may be worth the pick.

All a crap shoot, but anyone need look any further than how the analysts rate players from week to week. They have them set and then a report comes out about how some scout questioned this that and the other and they drop their ranking on a player but a few rounds. I'm pretty sure the teams are all but set in stone on their player rankings.

I totally agree with this. Couldn't agree more. TBH, this team has dodged a huge issue given Whit has been so durable and consistent.

Also, really looking forward to seeing the newly professional and prepared Andre Smith. Maybe only folks more excited are named Gio and Jeremy...

Little nugget in Hobson's latest mailbag. He writes that the FO is trying to get extensions in place for Zeitler and Dre to lower their cap hit next year. Good move if they can do it.

Good move, since the one they a truly a scared of is AJ Green. Even if the franchise his,, it's still a massive pile of cash. Depending on how Dalton pans out, if I'm AJ, I might be a bit hesitant to sign a long term contract.

I would also think how Dre play an a full time role will determine how that plays out.

In regards to Dre, i'm lost to wonder how he's viewed after that last piece by Hobson.

He made it sound like Dennard had the leg up on the starters spot vacated by Newman.

Maybe I was reading into it a bit, but I haven't seen anything like that in regards to Kirkpatrick.

Either way around, I see a CB in the later rounds of the draft for depth.