Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

Saw that about Newman as well and really is the only place that makes sense for him to go.

Whenever he has Zimmer around, he plays well. He did well while he was here and I think has at least another season in him.

Good luck to him there.

I still think we look CB at some point as well.

WOOT WOOT

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/16369/bengals-pat-sims-nfl-free-agency-michael-johnson-welcome-back-former

So......I guess now we won't be drafting the DT I want, so my priority has shifted to an OLT (heir apparent to Big Whit)

That said, if there is an absolute stud pass-rushing DT or DE available at 21, I'd still prefer that player over an OLT

The return of Fat Pat gives them a bunch of DT's.

That being said, I don't see that group being better than adding Malcolm Brown in the first.

With that not being a sure thing, this is a nice back up plan.

If Brown is there at #21, I would rather see one of these guys be shown the door.

I don't see this meaning they won't draft DT, only insurance if there isn't a player there worthy.

@Josh_Kirkendall: "@RapSheet: The #Vikings and veteran CB Terence Newman have agreed on a 1-year, $2.5M deal with $750K guaranteed, source said."

@thewanderer2020: @Josh_Kirkendall @RapSheet would net the bengals a 7th rounder next year based on current projections at http://t.co/P6eHQWCkDz

Zim still doing a bit for us. :sure:

Cincinnati 7 Round Mock Draft from Matt Miller of Bleacher Report :-

Round 1 (21): Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Round 2 (53): Alex Carter, CB, Stanford

Round 3 (85): Kwon Alexander, LB, LSU

Round 3 (99): Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State

Round 4 (120): Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

Round 4 (135): John Miller, G, Louisville

Round 5 (157): Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford

Round 6 (196): Cedric Reed, DE, Texas

Round 7 (238): Doniel Gambrell, T, Notre Dame College

Not a Wideout in sight .... ???

And here's the Mock Draft coming out of Erik Lambert from FanSided

Round 1 (21): Malcolm Brown, DT, Texas

Round 2 (53): Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas

Round 3 (85): Stefan Diggs, WR, Maryland

Round 3 (99): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma

Round 4 (120): Andy Gallik, C, Boston College

Round 4 (135): Justin Cox, S, Mississippi State

Round 5 (157): Kyle Emanuel, LB, North Dakota

Round 6 (196): Brian Bennett, QB, Southeastern Louisiana

Round 7 (238): Trey Williams, RB, Texas A&M

At least we have a WR in the mix .... not sure they'll take a QB anywhere through this draft and not sure they'd take a RB either ...more likely a TE then a QB or RB if they go that route is my guess. similarly with Gallik at C ...he's projected as a future starter but with Bodine being just 22 are they really likely to take a future starting C now, or is Bodine needing to be upgraded rather than developed???

Bodine was an upgrade over Cook, but that's about all you can say. One reason I was glad to see Boling stay was that they used both him and Zeitler to help Bodine out last year, and a rookie at LG probably would have been less able to do that.

But they like him and I doubt they make any moves toward a new C.

And here's the Mock Draft coming out of Erik Lambert from FanSided

Round 1 (21): Malcolm Brown, DT, TexasRound 2 (53): Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas

Round 3 (85): Stefan Diggs, WR, Maryland

Round 3 (99): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma

Round 4 (120): Andy Gallik, C, Boston College

Round 4 (135): Justin Cox, S, Mississippi State

Round 5 (157): Kyle Emanuel, LB, North Dakota

Round 6 (196): Brian Bennett, QB, Southeastern Louisiana

Round 7 (238): Trey Williams, RB, Texas A&M

At least we have a WR in the mix .... not sure they'll take a QB anywhere through this draft and not sure they'd take a RB either ...more likely a TE then a QB or RB if they go that route is my guess. similarly with Gallik at C ...he's projected as a future start but with Bodine being just 22 are they really likely to take a future starting C now, or is Bodine needing to be upgraded rather than developed???

Love pick #1 and that's it.

Why waste a 2nd round pick at DE at this point ??

A Center ?? A RB ??

These mocks look really lazy to me.

unless an absolute blue chip pick falls bigtime to 21, the r1 pick WILL be an OLT (99%) or a trade down (1%)

That's just it, unless one of the top LT's fall to #21, I view the rest as a reach.

Depending on who you ask, Scherff, Peat, Collins, and Flowers are the top 4 and could all be gone by the time we pick.

Many have expressed concerns in each of those 4 and their overall abilities.

After them, Clemings, Humphries, and Fisher are thoughts, but shouldn't be at #21.

There are DT's, LB's, and WR's that would present greater value at #21, not to mention make a larger impact in 2015.

It's not to say they won't reach for a LT at #21, but I can't say that would be the best approach.

I'll stick to my prediction :-)

I think signing Sims ended any chance there was that we'd take a DT

I think signing Johnson ended any chance there was that we'd take a DE

I don't think they'll go WR at 21 because there is too much value in r2 at that spot

That leaves OLT, as I can't see them taking a player at any position other than those 4 at 21

so....I see them taking an OLT even if it is a reach.

If the best OLT available at 21 is in fact a reach, I hope and pray they trade down and pick up 2016 r3 or r4 pick in the process, but I won't be expecting it. I do expect them to milk the 15 minutes right down to the last 30 seconds trying to make this happen, but I just dont think it'll work out

Let me add that I really, really, REALLY (is that enough 'really's) to convey the strength of my feelings here?) hope they don't take DE/OLB Randy Gregory no matter how far he falls. If you can't restrain yourself from smoking pot prior to the combine, putting millions of dollars in guarenteed money at risk, what assurances does a team have that you will be able to restrain yourself during the season, putting the teams record and playoffs chances at risk? Just say no to Randy Gregory

At this juncture I am leaning towards sensible choices - and to that end I mean OT and CB early on as we are facing contract expiries in 2016 so we definitely need to cover bases in these positions.

Add in a WR too on day 1 as we again need to cover contract situations as well as having a need at this position.

I'm really, really, really thumbsup3.gif hoping that the positions that are exposed by 2016 contracts (or lack thereof) are addressed in this draft ...... perhaps that's what Marvin was alluding to by saying that he hoped he wouldn't be looking at someone to make an immediate impact ??

I agree with TJ in hoping that Gregory wouldn't be a thought regardless of how far he falls.

The stupidity that comes with his decision, along with his piss poor excuse is enough to remove him from consideration.

Knowing he's that much closer to missing significant time if his stupidity continues is just another.

If adding Sims to a rotation that includes Still, Thompson, and Peko keeps them from drafting that position, there are larger problems than I am aware of. Seriously, look at those names again and someone explain how that couldn't be upgraded. I know, I know, it's what the coaches think, but adding a guy like Malcom Brown at #21 (if he were there) is a fairly big upgrade in my opinion.

Agree that DE is probably an afterthought at this point with the addition of MJ and i'm more than ok with that. It frees up the draft considerably.

Agree with the value at the WR spot as well and while I don't want to see #21 used at that position, I would rather them do that rather than reach for a player that isn't as good a prospect and also wouldn't have the impact that another position would have. Any OT taken this year is sitting and learning unless injuries bite.

When looking at Flowers, Peat, Collins, and Scherff, who would you rather at #21 ??

They all have their concerns, but I would have to go with Peat and his concern of lacking a nasty streak.

I guess the question is, would you rather have someone who lacks "nasty" or lacks "ability" ??

Peat would be the least of my bitching should we take an OT at #21.

I would also love a trade down if the right player isn't there, but that's a tough one to expect, which I understand few here would.

If the coaches absolutely feel one of these OT's is the best way to go in the first, I will be happy they addressed it.

I would also be very happy seeing them pass on the position early and target a guy like Donovan Smith with their comp pick in the 3rd.

Seeing as how he wouldn't be expected to step in immediately and could be coached for the better portion of the season, I would be more than ok with this.