2015?

gregcook68

Can the win the Super Bowl next season? As the Magic 8 Ball says, "ask again later." If they actually follow through on their recent yapping about being more aggressive this offseason, if they get 1-2 immediate impact guys in the draft, and if they get at least a couple current injury issues (Burfict, Atkins, Hall, Eifert, Jones) resolved in their favor...yes, they can compete. But that's a lot of "ifs."

Can the win the Super Bowl next season? As the Magic 8 Ball says, "ask again later." If they actually follow through on their recent yapping about being more aggressive this offseason, if they get 1-2 immediate impact guys in the draft, and if they get at least a couple current injury issues (Burfict, Atkins, Hall, Eifert, Jones) resolved in their favor...yes, they can compete. But that's a lot of "ifs."

That's how the thread was designed with ifs and assumptions. You have many, many, fans that think, regardless of how good the team around him is and how well the coaches do, with Dalton as QB, they can NEVER compete.

I can only think of 2 in here that might feel that way, but there's a lot out there that do.

Oh, I know. I just deleted about a dozen people from my twitter feed the other day because it was nothing but tweet after tweet about how we're doomed, never win, Dalton sucks, cut Dalton, trade Dalton yadda yadda yadda, with the occasional "fire Marvin" thrown in for variety.

It was to the point where the various politically themed people I follow were a more relaxing read than Bengals fans.

Really, I think most of the teams in the league are capable of contending. They've all got similar ifs. If you happen to be one of those few teams with an "elite" QB, yup, you have a leg up on everyone. But as Green Bay demonstrated, even an elite guy can lose if everyone around him craps the bed. Or if a key weapon goes down (see Bell, LeVeon).

I try to remember that bashing the starting QB is a league-wide pasttime. For instance, talk to a Bears fan and they'll tell you Jay Cutler is the antichrist. The sooner I learn to ignore it, the better I suppose.

Oh, I know. I just deleted about a dozen people from my twitter feed the other day because it was nothing but tweet after tweet about how we're doomed, never win, Dalton sucks, cut Dalton, trade Dalton yadda yadda yadda, with the occasional "fire Marvin" thrown in for variety.

It was to the point where the various politically themed people I follow were a more relaxing read than Bengals fans.

Really, I think most of the teams in the league are capable of contending. They've all got similar ifs. If you happen to be one of those few teams with an "elite" QB, yup, you have a leg up on everyone. But as Green Bay demonstrated, even an elite guy can lose if everyone around him craps the bed. Or if a key weapon goes down (see Bell, LeVeon).

I try to remember that bashing the starting QB is a league-wide pasttime. For instance, talk to a Bears fan and they'll tell you Jay Cutler is the antichrist. The sooner I learn to ignore it, the better I suppose.

Well said Cat.

In response to 'most teams in the league are capable of contending' below the professional sport level, where they are getting paid, and, for many, it's just a 9-5 job much better than minimum wage with a lot of perks, the philosophy is very different in this respect.

I've never taken a baseball field, as a player and/or coach that I didn't feel confident that we could win. Yes, there were many times when, in order to win, this and that had to happen, but until the game unfolded, I believed all of those would occur.

Otherwise, what's the point of playing the game? You're not getting paid so why show up, let alone play, if it's already counted as a loss?